Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 09:07 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times

Advertisements

I grew up in San Diego CA, but Dad was transfered to puny speck of a town (5,000 people) in the middle of nowhere for my high school years. I lived outside town on a Navy base, was somewhat of an outcast, graduated near the bottom of the class, and immediately moved back to San Diego after graduation. I maintained contact with nobody from that era of my life.

Now I've been located by the reunion committee (thanks Google) and invited to the 30th High School reunion. Morbid curiosity says I should take my wife and attend. Practical wisdom says "why bother?"

My "Bold Adventurer" says "go for it, it might be fun". My pragmatic pessimist says "you'll waste airfare, hotel, rental car drive and 3 days of your life only to have the awkward scabs of high school rejection peeled off again".

Anyone done what I'm contemplating under similar circumstances? How did it go?

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 09:15 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times
I guess if any part of you is interested you should go if you have the finances to do it. It could be fun. I have absolutely no interest in any of mine. Although high school was a major fun party for me I really have no interest on looking back. I guess I'm not sentimental.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:18 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,471,831 times
I've never gone to ANY of my high school reunions. Never had any interest whatsoever in going. Most of the people in my high school class were self-centered jackasses. The few that I did like, I kept in touch with after HS on my own (up to a few years after college, anyway).

It doesn't sound like HS was an especially happy time for you (you were an outcast and graduated near the bottom of your class). If I were you, I'd probably skip it, unless you're feeling very good about how your life turned out since (you're happy in your marriage and have a job you like) and just want the opportunity to rub it in the faces of the people you knew in HS.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,170,141 times
didnt go to my 5 years reuinion a few years back - and it was just down the street! i keep in touch with the few people i want to already.

might be fun but you could prob use the time and money to go somewhere better!

Old 03-18-2010, 10:30 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I grew up in San Diego CA, but Dad was transfered to puny speck of a town (5,000 people) in the middle of nowhere for my high school years. I lived outside town on a Navy base, was somewhat of an outcast, graduated near the bottom of the class, and immediately moved back to San Diego after graduation. I maintained contact with nobody from that era of my life.

Now I've been located by the reunion committee (thanks Google) and invited to the 30th High School reunion. Morbid curiosity says I should take my wife and attend. Practical wisdom says "why bother?"

My "Bold Adventurer" says "go for it, it might be fun". My pragmatic pessimist says "you'll waste airfare, hotel, rental car drive and 3 days of your life only to have the awkward scabs of high school rejection peeled off again".

Steve
I wouldn't go. Especially if I didn't care for the town or the people when I was there. Seriously, what's the point? It's a waste of time, money, and energy. The only times reunions are "fun" is when you plan to see your old school bully or see old friends or one of those things. You didn't care for them then, what's different now?

Old 03-18-2010, 11:00 AM

865 posts, read 2,431,991 times
If part of you wants to go, then go for it! So many things have changed since you were there. You may have a great time. And if you don't, you can always leave.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:02 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:

Steve
I went to my 5yr reunion & never went back. Like you I have had no contact with my former classmates, though some of my former classmates have befriended me on FB. IMO going back would be pointless, in all probability most are still there working in the area and have not done much with their lives. Spend your money on a nice, fun vacation.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:04 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
I've only been to one of my reunions which was my 40th about three years ago (yes, that means I'm old) but it was really fun and everybody was very friendly. It sounds like you must have a certain desire to attend or you wouldn't have brought up the question. I'd say go for it, it could very well be an enjoyable time.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:22 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,894,428 times
I went to my 10th reunion and took along a guy who I was dating (BIG mistake - he was bored out of his mind and I never really got a chance to talk to my old classmates). Is your wife up for it? Did she go to the same high school? Do you really want to talk to your old classmates or just people-watch with your wife?

At my 10th, it was hard to believe some guys were ALREADY going bald. The women who were ugly in high school looked fabulous. And at that point, some of the women were already looking old from tobacco, alcohol and too much sun. The cheerleaders and football players weren't the only ones anymore who had that "special something" about them. They had a lot more competition.

You may have a great time and get some validation. Or you may spend a lot of money for a short amount of time and regret it.

If I ever go to a reunion again, I definitely would go alone so I could talk to people and not hear,"I don't know anyone here - this is SO boring."

Old 03-18-2010, 11:28 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,373 times
Quote:

Steve
Since you have no common bond with anyone in your HS class (at least that's I get from what you wrote) - I would think you would be really bored at the reunion. Is there any way you could make a vacation out of the trip (if it's in a nice area) so if the reunion is a bomb you wouldn't feel it was a total waste of time & money?

I went to my 25th reunion last year and quite honestly, after the first hour it was a waste of time to me. After seeing who was with who and doing what/where do you live now, my curiosity was fulfilled - but I did get to visit in person the friends I have stayed in touch with over the years since HS - and it was neat to see how the area had changed over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships