Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 11:37 AM

4,534 posts, read 8,358,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ep- View Post
didnt go to my 5 years reuinion a few years back - and it was just down the street! i keep in touch with the few people i want to already.

might be fun but you could prob use the time and money to go somewhere better!
I'm the same way. However I did look on that classmates thing and I'm looking at the pictures and names saying who are you, I don't recognize you, etc....

To me it wasn't worth the money to do it. The ones I WANTED to keep in touch with, I have. Other than that, no interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2010, 12:13 PM

756 posts, read 2,091,759 times
I went to my 10th and regretted it. Everybody seemed to be somebody by then. The women all were "Mrs" or "Cpa" somebodys. the guys had careers and all that, my ex-boyfriend (then) had to work and couldn't show up and I got severely depressed after I went. I wish I hadn't spent the money to feel worthless.
However I can't wait to go to my 20th. I bet it will be a different story. The people who made it will be has-beens, and the outcasts will be the ones who "made it".

Old 03-18-2010, 12:24 PM

4,904 posts, read 14,165,270 times
My 30th HS reunion is this summer also. I haven't been to one since my 10th and now, with everyone on Facebook from my class, you know, it almost makes it stupid to make over a 1,000 mile trip up north from FL because I've already caught up through FB with everyone. I'm starting to think like other people have said, take the time & $ and do something else that you won't get bored with after an hour....like a cruise/mini trip/that sort of thing....
Luckily for me I did find quite a few classmates who actually have moved down south here & are nearby. I have other friends planning to come to FL next month...so I'm beginning to think about not going...I'd rather take a trip to visit my closest friends than drive 24 hours to compare notes on who's this, that or the other...no need, we're all adults now.

If I lived less than 8 hours, I might be more tempted to go....

Old 03-18-2010, 07:27 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,352,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I grew up in San Diego CA, but Dad was transfered to puny speck of a town (5,000 people) in the middle of nowhere for my high school years. I lived outside town on a Navy base, was somewhat of an outcast, graduated near the bottom of the class, and immediately moved back to San Diego after graduation. I maintained contact with nobody from that era of my life.

Now I've been located by the reunion committee (thanks Google) and invited to the 30th High School reunion. Morbid curiosity says I should take my wife and attend. Practical wisdom says "why bother?"

My "Bold Adventurer" says "go for it, it might be fun". My pragmatic pessimist says "you'll waste airfare, hotel, rental car drive and 3 days of your life only to have the awkward scabs of high school rejection peeled off again".

Anyone done what I'm contemplating under similar circumstances? How did it go?

Steve
Steve,

I've been out of school 20+ years. In recent years, I've run into a lot of the "jerks" from my high school days. Guess what? They've all changed for the good!

I've also run into some of the folks I was buddies with back in high school, who to my great dismay, turned into big jerks!!

I say go to your reunion and just be yourself. You are bound to hit it off with at least one person there.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:21 AM

6,887 posts, read 11,273,882 times
Smile High school reunion

My husband was that guy that was on the outside, not popular, his parents were poor, he was heavy, he lost weight during high school but he always wanted to go. He graduated from college, moved about a half hour away and really wanted to go to his reunion. (He is a very nice guy but in high school, no one looks deeper than your appearance which is awful but that's HS)

It was great for him b/c he looks better as he gets older. No one recognized him; he has contacts now. It was a real good thing. He was in the band so he reconnected with a bunch of them.

We found everyone to be quite friendly. I didn't mind - for once, no pressure - I could just sit back and people watch.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:29 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,866,180 times
Skip the reunion and watch "Grosse Point Blank" instead.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:08 AM

23,302 posts, read 29,167,778 times
I was bullied in the Catholic High School I went to, and the injuries have never quite healed.

The last time they invited me to my 20th, I wrote a letter detailing all the bullying I encountered there over the years, and did they really want me showing up there with an unconcealed weapon?

Never got another invitation.

Last edited by tijlover; 03-19-2010 at 01:10 AM.. Reason: Add a line.spelling

Old 03-19-2010, 02:34 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,942,322 times
I lost touch with all my "friends" from school for a reason.

There's been a few reunions, but I'm not interested. The past is the past.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:46 AM

17,487 posts, read 66,276,984 times
I'd be curious to see a poll on this-
H.S. reunions (would go, no go, seriously consider)
I always here from people I know about going to reunions but, the general consensus here seems to be-NOT!
I too was a non-follower of the reunion hype. Always got the invite. Never had the desire to go. The past was the past- just leave it alone.
I even got a personal invite for our twentieth (my next would be 35) from the gal who was the chairperson (we had homeroom together for years). I politely declined but praised her for taking on such a task.
After some FB, MS, CM, and Alumz hunting/stalking I found the majority of my classmates were still in the same area. A lot are even grandparents now! OMG! What the hell were they thinkin (oh yeah, no secondary education)?
I barely have one in HS. The other has 3years to go.
I'd take a cruise over a reunion anyday!

Old 03-19-2010, 09:54 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,605,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I grew up in San Diego CA, but Dad was transfered to puny speck of a town (5,000 people) in the middle of nowhere for my high school years. I lived outside town on a Navy base, was somewhat of an outcast, graduated near the bottom of the class, and immediately moved back to San Diego after graduation. I maintained contact with nobody from that era of my life.

Now I've been located by the reunion committee (thanks Google) and invited to the 30th High School reunion. Morbid curiosity says I should take my wife and attend. Practical wisdom says "why bother?"

My "Bold Adventurer" says "go for it, it might be fun". My pragmatic pessimist says "you'll waste airfare, hotel, rental car drive and 3 days of your life only to have the awkward scabs of high school rejection peeled off again".

Anyone done what I'm contemplating under similar circumstances? How did it go?

Steve
Which would you regret more? Going and regretting going or not going and regretting not going?

I chose not to attend my 30th, 20th or 10th because I never felt a kinship with my fellow classmates. They were just people I had to put up with for 4 years. I hit the door running on graduation day and never looked back. Now, I'd love to have a college reunion. I had good friends in college. I fit in there. Unfortunately, we all headed off to start our lives and lost touch. Hmmmm? Maybe I can find them via google .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships