Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 07:47 AM

655 posts, read 2,329,136 times

Advertisements

For all you fishermen in New York/Ontario/Quebec/Pennsylvania/New Jersey/Vermont/Massachusetts/elsewhere and for all you people who just like to watch this sort of sport, I wanted to let you know that SALMON FISHING is now under way (Sept. 19, 2009 into October) at Pulaski, NY in Oswego County, NY. Most of the fishing is done on the Salmon River which runs east & west thru the village of Pulaski. Bring your fishing poles, "waders" or wading boots, & ice chest to keep your catch in, Camper Trailer would take care of your housing requirement if you have one and try your luck at catching your limit of Salmon. A few fishermen bring their small boats to use in a quieter water part of the river but you might not get much use of the boat because much of the river is fast flowing water. Most fishermen just wade out into the fast moving Salmon River water to try their luck. A lot of fishermen spend 5 or 6 days in Pulaski as a recreational vacation. I think the largest number of people fish on Friday/Saturday/Sunday. Some fishermen like to arrive on Monday or Tuesday to start fishing when less people are fishing and stay right thru the weekend. You can get most anything you will need for your fishing vacation right in Pulaski; license, bait, fish cleaning stations, fishing guides, motels, restaurants, etc. Pulaski is easily reached via Interstate Route 81 driving north of Syracuse, NY or driving south of Watertown, NY. Salmon fishing at Pulaski is VERY popular with fishermen from all over the Northeastern States & Canada and everybody is successful catching a good number of Salmon to take home. You can check Internet sites for more information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 08:45 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,641,438 times
WOW! I seriously love this state so much. I never knew that there was Salmon fishing in this state and if I knew sooner I would have absolutely made the trip up there to catch some. Next year I suppose! I am so excited about this and I don't even fish much but it would be awesome to catch my own Salmon!! That's something I would love to do.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:03 AM

5 posts, read 28,443 times
Default FISH-PHOTOS-Caught in Salmon River/Pulaski, N.Y.

Wanted to show you the fish we caught in the Salmon River, Pulaski, NY. The fish were caught during spawning season when the fish were fighting their way back up the Salmon River returning to their place of origination. Running up the river's very swift currents/fast flowing water they smash against rocks and debris, sometimes quite intensely and they expend/use a lot of their body/stored energy to return "home" where they were originally spawned. Their purpose being to lay eggs or fertilize eggs so the thread of life continues into the future. No wonder if their trek may weaken their bodies and appearance.

Click on the lines below to see the fish photos:

http://photography.usa-rom.com/displ...859&fullsize=1

http://photography.usa-rom.com/displ...976&fullsize=1

http://photography.usa-rom.com/displ...848&fullsize=1

http://photography.usa-rom.com/displ...902&fullsize=1

http://photography.usa-rom.com/displ...870&fullsize=1

We enjoyed our time on the Salmon River in Pulaski, NY.

All photos & content restricted. All rights reserved.

Last edited by Ear1yBirdz; 08-21-2010 at 08:32 AM..

Old 08-21-2010, 04:17 PM

996 posts, read 1,057,798 times
Contrary to Ear1yBirdz Chamber of Commerce report, here are the facts about Salmon Fishing in Pulaski NY:

1. due to biological changes in the fish, the Salmon have no interest in eating as they converge into the river (their thoats swell shut). As soon as they enter the spawn stage of their life - their bodies begin to decompose - hence their gross appearance and the greyish coloration of their flesh.

2. Hundreds, if not thousands of fishermen stand shoulder to shoulder and snag the fish - yes SNAG the fish. (The act of catching a salmon is anything but "Fishing".

3. The majority of Salmon thet run the river deposit their eggs and milt at the Salmon River Hatchery, after they are slit open by hatchery workers, who then dump their lifeless bodies into a dumpster, and then trucked off to a hazardous waste landfill due to the amount of PCB's and mercury contained in their flesh.

Any fish that do build redds and deposit eggs in the bottom gravel have most likely done so for naught, since just about every square inch of gravel is trampled through by "fishermen" as they target the fish by sight and bombard them with lead.

How do I know this - I fished the Salmon River for years. It is a ZOO !!!

Ear1y - if you actually want to catch a fish that "EATS", try steelhead fishing Nov through March... It's a whole different ball game...

Last edited by varmintblaster; 08-21-2010 at 04:30 PM..

Old 08-22-2010, 10:10 AM

1,492 posts, read 3,646,312 times
That's why we've been going there for 24 years-but won't tell our fishing spot. It's quiet and no other fishermen/women. We don't fish the river as was said it's a zoo! It's the wanna be fishermen that fish the river by the "black hole". Don't want to fish there as all the guys do is tangle their lines. It's fun to watch them though.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:10 AM

Default 2010 LABOR DAY WEEKEND-Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by grdnrman View Post
For all you fishermen in New York/Ontario/Quebec/Pennsylvania/New Jersey/Vermont/Massachusetts/elsewhere and for all you people who just like to watch this sort of sport, I wanted to let you know that SALMON FISHING is now under way (Sept. 19, 2009 into October) at Pulaski, NY in Oswego County, NY. Most of the fishing is done on the Salmon River which runs east & west thru the village of Pulaski. ............ Pulaski is easily reached via Interstate Route 81 driving north of Syracuse, NY or driving south of Watertown, NY. Salmon fishing at Pulaski is VERY popular with fishermen from all over the Northeastern States & Canada ..........
Over the (2010) Labor Day Weekend I visited the Salmon River at Pulaski, NY. While there I noticed numerous out of state license plates on vehicles in the area. The first thing that came to mind was I wondered if fishermen were already showing up to fish the river. So I drove around to the parking areas where visiting fishermen park their vehicles, trailers, & boats while fishing the river. Sure enough, I saw a lot of out of state (& New York) vehicles and fishermen at several locations along the river. There were numerous license plates from: Vermont, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Connecticut with fewer license plates from Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Delaware, Virginia, Maine, Ontario & Quebec. I went to several locations along the river where you can see from the riverbank fishermen out in the river. None of the locations were crowded with people fishing. Of course, over the next several weeks larger numbers of fishermen will be showing up and some spots may get a little crowded. You have to be flexible. The Salmon River runs for miles so if it gets crowded at one popular spot, you can move up or down river and find a fishing spot that is not crowded. If you insist on fishing at a one specific very popular fishing spot that everyone else likes too, then you should expect THAT ONE very popular spot to get crowded. Fishing on the Salmon River seems to be less crowded on Mon-Tues-Wed-Thur. and more fishermen on the river on Fri-Sat-Sun.

For more information on Salmon River fishing, you can do an INTERNET SEARCH like:
Salmon River Fishing Pulaski, NY
a lot of info sites should be listed for you to reference.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:31 PM

Default Sept. 12, 2010

Sunday, September 12, 2010. I went to Salmon River/Pulaski NY today; very light rain for weather. I was in one of the tackle shops there and started talking to 2 fishermen in the shop. I asked if they caught anything today. One guy said, "I caught a fish that weighed 30 pounds", and the second guy said, "I caught one that weighed 25 pounds". Those were the largest fish for each of the guys, of the several fish that they caught.

I checked for out of state license plates at the several fishermens vehicle parking areas this week and besides New York, the most numerous vehicles were from Pennsylvania, Vermont, & New Jersey with some vehicles also from Massachusetts, Connecticut, Delaware, Virginia, Maryland, & Ontario.

I did not notice any areas (that I could see from the riverbank) in the river that were over-crowded with fishermen; everyone seemed to have plenty of space to fish.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:35 AM

5 posts, read 28,443 times
Default Salmon River~Pulaski, N.Y. Fishing

Here's an article I came across about Fishing on the Salmon River at Pulaski, N.Y. The article also lists the Public Access areas on the river and where you can park your Vehicle while you are fishing.

Click on the following line to read the article.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/37926.html

Old 09-30-2010, 03:29 PM

Default Fishing Photos Salmon River, Pulaski, NY

To see some great photos of People Fishing on the Salmon River in the middle of Pulaski village, New York go to the General U.S. forum and read/see/access the post supplied by City-Data member "vermilye". Those photos will give you a good picture about what you will experience/see when you fish/visit Pulaski, NY. LOTS OF GREAT PHOTOS. Thanks "vermilye" for posting your photos.

Last edited by grdnrman; 09-30-2010 at 04:00 PM..

Old 10-02-2010, 07:44 PM

996 posts, read 1,057,798 times
There are clearly marked state parking lots on both sides of the Salmon River from the Village of Pulaski up to the town of Altmar. Most of the easy access areas - Ball Park,Sportsmans,2A, Pineville, Trestle, Ellis Cove, Schoolhouse, and Lower Fly Zone will be very crowded during the main Salmon runs which occur from Sept thru Oct.

Downstream from the Village of Pulaski access to the river is controlled by the DSR (Douglaston Salmon Run) a.k.a wealthy connected former NY Senator William Barclay - who charges a daily fee of $45 for licensed fihermen to enjoy the great outdoors and catch fish stocked via public monies. (How American Does that Get? )

btw - on Oct 1 the Brookfield Power Co which operates the hydro dams upstream of the NY State Fish hatchery in Altmar had emergency releases of water (20,000 cfs+ flows) which caused extensive damage to property along the river. For comparison, normal flows at this time of year are 350-500cfs.

A state of emergency was declared in the Village of Pulaski.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York