Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 03:25 PM

8 posts, read 28,036 times

Advertisements

Ive been looking at land near Pulaski, out around Richland. Im considering moving to the rural areas of NY from Arkansas. I always swore Id never ever leave the south but in the past 10 years it seems that the newer generation thinks its cool to be white trash meth heads that get knocked up at 15 and I really want to get away from that since Ive got a brand new baby boy. My questions are, is it the same in every rural area? Would I be escaping the white trash realm by moving up north? Do people keep their land and yards looking nice around there? How is the education system? Crime? Are there alot of thugs? Im used to southern hospitality so are people accepting of outsiders there? How is the cost of living? Ive noticed that the land is REALLY cheap compared to nice farm land down here in Arkansas so Im worried there's some catch. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks yall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2012, 04:51 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,099 times
I was just in Pulaski this past weekend. I have been many times but I do not live there.

Its pretty country. VERY redneck. I can only guess at crime but I'd say really really low. Meth may be a future problem, its ripe ground for it. I'm not aware of any but again I don't live there.

Not alot of jobs. Not really driving distance from any either. It snows there. Good god almighty does it snow. As in feet per hour snow.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:22 PM

Thanks Sean...the redneck part dont bother me lol. Ive spent my entire life on a farm in the middle of nowhere in the Ozark Mountains of Arkansas. Im very "redneck" myself...well Id prefer to call it country. I just want someplace with a little more class ya know? All these trashy folks and welfare rats are driving me crazy down here!

Old 04-18-2012, 05:51 PM

That being the case, and you can find a job, you will live long and prosper on the Tug Hill.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:14 PM

93,290 posts, read 123,898,066 times
There are jobs at the Fulton plant there: The Fulton Companies - Jobs at Fulton People in that area commute to jobs in Syracuse or Watertown. Actually, I've met people from that area that worked at Crouse-Hinds. Some may work in Oswego too.

I believe that schools are OK up there, but there was a concern in regards to bullying at one of the schools though. With that said, you should be fine. It is definitely country, with a decent village and some good fishing nearby.

If you are interested in other areas, just let us know.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-18-2012 at 06:24 PM..

Old 04-18-2012, 06:16 PM

BTW- Why was this moved considering that the Pulaski area is in the Syracuse metro area?

Old 04-18-2012, 06:20 PM

Thank you for the help! One thing else is the cost of living... could you give me some examples? Like I mentioned, the land is awful cheap and Id hate to buy it thinking I got a good deal and move up there only to be overcome by the cost of living. @ckhthankgod- I have no clue why this post was moved...it did it automatically?

Old 04-18-2012, 06:30 PM

This may give you an idea: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 05-08-2012 at 06:05 AM..

Old 04-18-2012, 06:38 PM

Depends alot were your coming from. I don't know a thing about Arkansas costs. Gas tends to be very expensive in NY and you'll need lots of it there. You don't "need" four wheel drive in NY but if you gotta be to work any distance away thats one area it could be handy.

Income taxes are very high. Albany just gave me a high colonic on Monday. Factor income taxes above all else. Not really sure about property taxes there, prolly seem low to me but very high to you.

Day to day stuff we shop at big box stores just like you and prices are prolly much the same. Add a very high to super high sales tax to anything. Mine is 8.75% but it varies by county and I'm not sure what Oswego County is.

If you smoke you'll pay about 10-14 dollars per pack. But you should quit anyway.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:49 PM

Yall have been very helpful. thank you very much. I would probably keep the job I have now. I travel for work anyhow, from Ohio to south Texas and anywhere in between. They are contract jobs that last from 3-8 weeks at a time, working 84 hours per week while Im gone. The only thing that would change is I'd have to leave a couple days early to get to the job site. Using the site you recommended, I figure my salary of $1500 a week would still suit me just fine up yalls way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York