Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2009, 10:11 AM

101 posts, read 357,251 times

Advertisements

If anyone is familiar with both Pulaski & Malone, could you tell me your impressions of both towns, and how they differ and how they are the same? I lived in Pulaski most of my life, now live in North Carolina, and would like to eventually move back to NNY but don't want to deal with the snowfalls that hit the eastern shore of Lake Ontario anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2009, 03:22 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,841 times
I'm not very familiar with Pulaski but lived in Malone for several years. Malone may not get hit near as hard as the eastern shore of Lake Ontario but they still average 97 inches a year. Malone is also bigger than Pulaski but the majority of its economy is centered around the 3 state prisons within the towns borders. One major difference is that while Pulaski is a small town its only a short drive to Syracuse, Malone on the other hand is a very secluded place. Its an hour from Plattsburgh, nearly 2 to Montreal & a little over 2 to Ottawa. Other than a Wal Mart, Price Chopper & a handful of restaurants there really isn't too much going on in the town itself for shopping/eating. Massena (about a half hour away) has the nearest mall but a good bit of it is empty. Malone does have a small but decent ski resort just a few miles away but that's about it for entertainment options, not even a movie theater. Main Street Malone is very run down looking & many of the residents seem cliquish. What church you attend seems to be a very popular way for residents to identify each other & they have no qualms about continually pushing their church onto non members. Unless you work in the medical field its likely that you may have to commute a pretty good distance to find a decent job. I commuted to Plattsburgh every day & in the winter that 1 hour drive could easily turn into 2.5-3 hours. IMO, if you are set on that part of NNY the Postdam/Canton area is a much nicer area with more going for it than Malone (or Massena) ........ Plattsburgh would be an even better choice.

Old 09-16-2009, 07:44 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,490 times
Question What type of work........

do you require or do you require any? I would also suggest the Saranac Lake area since they seem to be making big changes and are becoming more of a retirement destination believe it or not. There is also a very new website discussing all the ways to be wired and live and work in the Adirondacks for people who love to vaca up here but don't want to deal with the city garbage, crime and traffic anymore. I will try to find the website. It has been in the paper for the past week and actually think it is from either Paul Smiths college in Saranac Lake or Potsdam.................You can still get a great deal on some waterfront up here also which just blows me away....Can't get that, canoeing, fishing and loons at sunset anywhere else...........

Old 09-17-2009, 07:29 AM

Thanks for the info -- I'm thinking of investing in something as a retirement property, not having to worry about employment in the area, which I know would be a struggle finding anything. Anything less than 300" of snow annually would seem great in comparison to Pulaski, but I do know that Malone would be much colder, on average, all winter long. It's probably going to **** some people off, but I don't want to live somewhere that's full of transplants from the metro NY, LI, NJ area because I would rather live around people who aren't interested in the "keeping up with the Joneses" type of lifestyle. I'd be afraid that any lakefront properties or resort areas would attract too large of a percentage of these types.

Old 09-17-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cny2cnc View Post
Thanks for the info -- I'm thinking of investing in something as a retirement property, not having to worry about employment in the area, which I know would be a struggle finding anything. Anything less than 300" of snow annually would seem great in comparison to Pulaski, but I do know that Malone would be much colder, on average, all winter long. It's probably going to **** some people off, but I don't want to live somewhere that's full of transplants from the metro NY, LI, NJ area because I would rather live around people who aren't interested in the "keeping up with the Joneses" type of lifestyle. I'd be afraid that any lakefront properties or resort areas would attract too large of a percentage of these types.

You might consider something near the Chateaugay Lakes. It is in between Malone & Plattsburgh, nestled up against the northern edge of the Adirondack Park. Very rural, beautiful & peaceful area. Lot less likely to run into transplants than in Saranac Lake or Lake Placid. The only major downside would be that there isn't a major supermarket or Wal Mart within 25-30 miles, if that's not a big deal then this may be a good area for you to look into?

Old 09-17-2009, 02:13 PM

Question Confused................

Hi...........

Only trying to help here, but am a bit confused. Just wondering how much of a rental community or demand there would be in Malone and how much you could actually make from a known low-rent area if you are trying to make a living strictly from investment properties.....Know there is a corrections facility there and maybe that is what you are thinking of, but I don't believe there is a lot of other temporary or dependable rental people......IMO.

I know you said you want an investment property, and there are tons of locals in both Saranac Lake and LP who have lived there all their lives, but make their living off of the rental properties that they own and rent when all the downstaters come up for vaca, etc..........Just know that you are more apt to rent a place to someone who has a job, and the ADKs have lots of people (locals in particular) who work there but cannot afford to live there due to the recent reassessment of homes being purchased by downstaters. The huge homes have gone up quite a bit lately in value....

If you really peruse a map of the Tri-Lakes Areas (Saranac Lake, Lake Placid and Tupper Lake) you will be totally amazed at all the waterfront there. It isn't like Lake George or Saratoga or even Pburgh where waterfront is really, really scarce...........There are so many islands and nooks and crannies and lakes and ponds and rivers and streams, that a bunch of locals have inherited waterfront property and just don't actively use it.....meaning you might be able to get a deal on it......but you will probably live next door to someone that has also had that property in their family for generations......usually people don't sell a home that is paid for totally....That area will always have a rental audience also..........between the professors, teachers, hospitals, shop workers, corrections, tourists, vacationers, and more people coming up here to live, you will never have a renter who cannot find a job (and give you your rent money).

I can't say that about Malone. You need to visit downtown Malone..................not pretty. In fact, pretty depressing and certainly not a place helped by last year's economy. Up here, we are actually not bad off at all................and I forgot to add the Canadian people.........they have helped keep us better off than most places in New York state......

Know you might not want to live next door to non-locals, which I don't quite understand, because they are usually there for the same exact reason you are moving here unless you buy one of those 2 million dollar 2 acre ADK style homes or "camps"........The really expensive homes never see their neighbors anyway......just a bunch of deer, etc..........

Just wondering if you have a target market for renters? That might make a difference also.........Just trying to help. Malone might be ok, but haven't seen much change there in 20 years......maybe even a bit of a downturn.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:36 PM

I thought he was looking to invest in something as a retirement property not a rental property?

The main target market for renters in Malone is the families that relocate from NYC to be near their incarcerated husband/boyfriend/baby daddy ..... or downstate prison guards that are transferred in.

Old 10-19-2009, 02:30 PM

I am actually looking to buy something like a duplex, where I could live in half and rent the other half out. I'm not looking for lakefront, not looking for a hunting camp, not looking for something in the woods, or anything remote where I can't see my neighbors. I'm not trying to make a living strictly from investment properties. I can't believe other posters made all of these assumptions!

I'm looking for something in the actual town, where I can walk to the library, post office, etc. That's all...

Old 10-19-2009, 02:49 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,784,616 times
Wondering, not assuming, why specifically Malone? There are a number of small towns upstate with at least some services and with duplex rental type housing that don't attract the fancy folk. A couple that some too mind are Hornell, Dansville, and Warsaw in western NY, that won't get snow like Pulaski but also won't get as chillingly cold as Malone, and close enough to Rochester or Buffalo for shopping but not really for normal commuting. Northern and western PA have plenty of small towns too, like Bradford and DuBois, that get winter but not snow like Pulaski.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:13 PM

Red face Sorry..........

Just trying to help.........I heard rental property and didn't think Malone would have as much to offer as some other communities. Good luck in your search!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York