Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2008, 06:36 PM

9 posts, read 48,990 times

Advertisements

well after much apartment and house hunting...........i finally found an apartment in pulaski for my husband, my 2 and 3 year olds, and I. i know its about and hour away from fort drum, where my hubby will be going everyday, but i kinda had to settle on this one.

theres not much online about this town. i could really use ANY information at all about pulaski.......good or bad. im form california and will be heading to new york next week.......and like i said, any information will be helpful......thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2008, 08:26 PM

3,516 posts, read 9,432,978 times
Pulaski is bulls eye for lake effect snowstorms. Might be a tough drive in the winter... commuting from Pulaski to Fort Drum.

Pulaski is directly due east of Lake Ontario. That means with a west wind(prevailing winds are most often from the west in the Northeast US), snow squalls come off Lake Ontario. The main reason that area receives the most snowfall in Upstate NY is because the lake effect snow bands are stronger when they go over the long fetch of the lake. Much of the winter, the snow bands hover from Central Square, NY to the south.... to Watertown, NY to the north. Locations south of Central Square often receive lake effect snow, but the snow bands are usually weaker since a northwest wind goes over a smaller portion of Lake Ontario, picking up less moisture.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:06 PM

3,516 posts, read 9,432,978 times
Pulaski is located within Oswego County. All of Oswego County is very rural. Coming from a suburban area outside a medium size city, I'd even consider the City of Fulton and City of Oswego rather rural places. I'm not sure I could handle living in such a rural area. Just too quiet for my liking.

If you ever have the urge to "get away" from country living, I'd suggest coming down to Cicero or Clay for a little dining or shopping. Both are growing suburbs of Syracuse and have a lot more hustle and bustle than Watertown or any place in the North Country. Be sure to check out Carousel Mall in Syracuse too. An expansion is currently under construction which will make it something like the 4th largest mall in the US.

So what are the positives of Pulaski and the "North Country" region of Upstate NY? 1) the friendly people. I consider the people from Buffalo to Syracuse to be friendly, but the North Country even has them beat on the friendliness scale. 2) Close to Canada. Montreal and Ottawa are very close. Both are great cities to visit. Montreal is one of my favorite cities.

Old 06-04-2008, 09:12 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,736,530 times
I've spent many a fall salmon run in the river fly fishing. Caught my first steelie there.
Nothing like yelling "Fish ON!" shortly after sunrise.

First time I ever saw Pulaski was during the run 12 years ago. I wrote in my journal that the town reminded me of the wild west wearing corkers.

I can't speak for what it is like in the off season, but I thought it was a neat little town; back then it was sort of depressed.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:09 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,274,041 times
If you're familiar with Arcata, Auburn or places like that in Northern California that would be the closest you'd find in your part of the world.

It does get a lot of snow but there's an entrance to Rt 81 right there which would take him to the exit to Fort Drum on the north side of Watertown, and they keep it plowed well. You won't find much to do unless you're into outdoor sports. There's a lot of fishing and a nice quiet harbor at the lake. Some places close down out of season. There are a couple of stores on the couple of blocks that consist of downtown. Don't think the movie theatre is open anymore. There's a nice grocery store, an ice cream place, dollar store, and a cheap dept type store (if it's still open), and a couple of restaurants. Lots of people have summer camps along the lake and there is a state park with camping and beach about five minutes away, a couple of decent hilly gof courses that are affordable, a small library, and some municipal bldgs.

You'll have to join a church or start a mother's group if you want some activities other than the above. There's a fish hatchery not far away the kids might like on the road towards the Adirondack Mtns, and a mini race car track on Rt 3. There's also a decent mall, movie theatre, and a zoo in Watertown. There's some great sandy beaches all up and down the lake that you can take advantage of this summer.

Old 06-05-2008, 03:07 PM

9 posts, read 48,990 times
Thank you! That's very helpful!!!!

I think the whole outdoors scene is gonna take some getting used to, but I'm sure I'll adjust.......that, or take a drive to Syracuse everyday lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York