Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 08:44 PM

655 posts, read 2,328,041 times

Advertisements

Oct. 8, 2010. The Rain and Wind Storm that travelled up the Atlantic Coast States last week also affected the Pulaski/Salmon River region last Wednesday Sept. 29, Thursday Sept. 30, Friday Oct. 1, & Saturday Oct. 2 causing unusally heavy water/rain run-off from all the surrounding land areas which drain/run into the Salmon River and outward to Lake Ontario. This caused very deep, fast, rushing waters in the Salmon River waterway resulting in damage along the way and dangerous conditions for fishermen or anyone else near the River edge. As of last Sunday Oct. 3, the depth of the river was somewhat high and fast running but I saw a lot of fishermen wading in safer, lower water flow parts of the river enjoying fishing. I would say that River water conditions are now back to reasonable levels, pretty-much average for this time of year.

To check current & future weather reports for Pulaski/Salmon River, you can click on the following website to see a several-days weather conditions report=
http://www.weatherreports.com/?locat...ki%2C+NY+13142
If this site gives you a weather report for the WRONG CITY, you can type-in Pulaski, NY and then enter that info and the correct Pulaski weather report will appear.

Here is another website for Pulaski, NY weather reports=
http://www.9wsyr.com/weather/city.aspx?zip=13142
A "glitch" sometimes happens on this site.

I checked the fishermens vehicle parking lots to see where all the out-of-state fishermen's vehicle license plates were from and here are the results. A very large number of fishermen from Pennsylvania & New Jersey. A good number of vehicles from Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Vermont, Ontario & Quebec. Some from New Hampshire, Maryland, & Virginia. And even a few from Delaware, Michigan, Maine, North Carolina, Kentucky, & Tennessee. Glad to see so many fishermen visiting Salmon River/Pulaski from those long distances. Interstate 81 from near Knoxville, TN northward through Virginia, Pennsylvania to NY State and Syracuse and a little further to Pulaski is a direct route for many southern fishermen. Happy to see so many out-of-state fishermen visit the Salmon River to enjoy fishing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 04:45 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,782,509 times
Why is it that this particular river is the scene of all this activity?

Old 10-10-2010, 12:20 PM

Default Concentrated Convenience

Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Why is it that this particular river is the scene of all this activity?
I can't answer for everyone but I guess there may be several reasons for fishing the Salmon River. The Salmon River is not the only waterway/river/stream in this region where fishermen go to fish.

Some reasons for fishing the Salmon River, among others=
1) There's a very good number of fish to try to catch.
2) The river offers areas where you can wade more shallow waters, deep water areas where you can't wade, and areas where you can use a drift boat from which to fish.
3) There are numerous convenient parking areas along the river for fishermen to park their vehicles at no charge; don't have to tresspass on private property or park along roads/streets.
4) Salmon River/Pulaski is very easily reached by travelling on Interstate 81, [a specific exit for Pulaski] so you don't have to drive miles on 2 lane highways to get there; easy & convenient.
5) There are MANY businesses in Pulaski that cater specifically to the needs of fishermen. Several Tackle Shops selling anything that a fisherman would need. Fish Cleaning Stations to prepare fish to safely take fish home in iced containers so the fish don't spoil. People Guides who will take/go with you, for a fee, to the best fishing spots on the river. Campgrounds to use if you bring your camper for lodging during your stay. Also, Pulaski is a small-town, but large enough to offer several types of Restaurants=full menu indivdual meals, all-you-can-eat meals, submarine & deli sandwiches, pizza, fast food, village home-town diners, coffee shops, etc. Also, there are many types of Room Accommodations [some with microwave ovens & refrigerators] rooms at various price rates=a national motel chain, small town motels, small cabin-type units, economical rooms above other businesses, rooms in private homes, campgrounds for your camper/trailer. Pulaski is a Fishermen Friendly small town.

Everything a fisherman could/would need is right there in one town/Pulaski; businesses all close to one another so fishermen don't waste their time driving 2 miles in this direction, then drive 4 miles the other direction, and then 3 miles that other way. That means that FISHERMEN CAN SPEND MORE TIME ON THE RIVER FISHING rather than travelling all over the area/going in circles to find what they need. CONVENIENCE & TIME SAVING.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:22 PM

Default Salmon Fishing - Altmar & Pulaski, NY

Oct. 19, 2010. >> Last Friday. Oct. 15th a rain & wind storm rotated stationary over upstate New York State dropping amounts of rain on the Salmon River region; not the best day to be outdoors. The rain raised the level and flow of water in the Salmon River to a reasonable extent. That storm moved into New England by Saturday making Saturday a decent day to fish on the river.

On Saturday, Oct. 16th I went to Pulaski to check-out how the fishing was going on the Salmon River. There were a good number of out-of-state and New York State fishermen on the river and they were catching a decent number of fish; doing okay.

On Sunday, Oct. 17th the weather was a great Autumn day in every way; you couldn't ask for a nicer day. I decided to go to a different location on the Salmon River which runs through the little village of ALTMAR, NY 7-1/2 miles East of Pulaski on State Route 13. ALTMAR is a very small village; much smaller than Pulaski. Driving east from Pulaski along State Route 13 toward ALTMAR, there are 3 campgrounds that rent travel trailer & RV spaces to fishermen [or anyone]; I noticed a good number of campers parked there. Also along St. Rt. 13 there are some limited number of individual Cabins type room accommodations on people's private home properties which they rent to fishermen who prefer a Cabin type building rather than a big motel or a room in a private home. There are several New York State provided Parking Lots for fishermen's vehicles located along State Route 13 also. When I arrived at ALTMAR, I drove into the village and to the Bridge over the Salmon River in the middle of the village. There are NY State provided Fishermen's Parking Lots closeby the Bridge area. Many fishermen were wading the river and having a great day fishing; people from PA, NJ, Mass, VT, NH, Conn, R.I., ME, Maryland, Del, VA, NC, Mich, KY, & even one vehicle from Wisc, plus some from Que. & Ont. After I finished at the river, I walked over to a nearby Restaurant/Bar/Hotel on Mill Street and had a burger, french fries, cole slaw and drink there. Fishermen were at the same bar/restaurant having a meal or drinks and enjoying some good conversations. There are some convenient fish cleaning stations at ALTMAR too.

If this next weekend Fri-Sat-Sun Oct. 22-23-24, is as nice as last Sat-Sun, it will be a GREAT time to go fishing on the Salmon River.

To see a map of the ALTMAR area, click on the following line.
http://www.mapblast.com/(bskxks45dvr...c+NY+13302|L1|

Old 10-20-2010, 02:22 PM

Default MAP -- Salmon River thru Pulaski, NY

This MAP "post" shows the route of the Salmon River as the river runs through the village of Pulaski, NY. The part of the Salmon River shown between County Route 2A running through Pulaski to the westside of the village is where many fishermen choose to fish the river. There are other areas of the Salmon River eastward toward ALTMAR and areas westward toward PORT ONTARIO/LAKE ONTARIO that fishermen also fish.

Click on the following line to see the Salmon River route as it runs through Pulaski village. If the MAP is shown small size on your screen, locate the words >>MAP SIZE<< up near the top left corner and "click" on the LARGEST BOX to see a larger MAP.
http://mapblast.com/(zg413v455ahgvr4...c+NY+13142|L1|

YOU CAN SEE A MAP OF THE SALMON RIVER ROUTE AS IT RUNS THROUGH >>ALTMAR, NY<< IN THE "POST" - #14 - ABOVE; and click on #14 link line.

Last edited by grdnrman; 10-20-2010 at 02:32 PM..

Old 12-02-2010, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,282 times
hi

I was wondering about the little salmon river?
Does it contain the same fish run as the salmon river?
And How far upstream can you catch fish... mexico and further up near parish?

thanks

Old 09-14-2011, 09:46 AM

Default Salmon River Fishing, Sept.-Oct 2011, Altmar-Pulaski NY

TODAY: Wednesday, Sept. 14, 2011

It's early Autumn Salmon Fishing season again along the Salmon River in the Altmar & Pulaski NY area located just off Interstate 81 several miles north of Syracuse NY. This past weekend some fishermen were visiting this area and their vehicle license plates showed that most of the out-of-state fishermen were from Pennsylvania & New Jersey and of course there's always fishermen visiting from all around New York State. The Salmon River was not crowded with fishermen but during the next 2 or 3 weeks more fishermen from more distant States will be arriving/fishing the Salmon River. There's plenty of places along the many-mile Salmon River for lots of fishermen to catch Salmon. Be sure to buy your fishing license, available in Pulaski & Altmar.

Every year we see fishermen from distant States & Canada. The vehicle license plates each year show that fishermen visit the Salmon River from: Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Connecticut, Vermont, Ontario, Quebec, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Maine, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Maryland, Delaware, Washington DC, Virginia, and yes I've even seen fishermen from more distant States: North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, & Mississippi. Some of the fishermen visit to fish for a long 3 or 4 day-weekend AND some of the fishermen stay for 5 to 7 days of fishing on weekdays when there are fewer fishermen on the River; it's their yearly fishing trip to the Salmon River.

Below is a Link Line provided by Oswego County (Salmon River location) listing where to fish along the Salmon River as well as other locations in Oswego County.
SALMON FISHING LOCATIONS
http://visitoswegocounty.com/fishing...h/#salmonriver

The Salmon Fishing is great here. The weather is good. Come try your fishing skills on the Salmon River.

grdnrman

Old 09-15-2011, 12:11 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grdnrman View Post
TODAY: Wednesday, Sept. 14, 2011

It's early Autumn Salmon Fishing season again along the Salmon River in the Altmar & Pulaski NY area located just off Interstate 81 several miles north of Syracuse NY. This past weekend some fishermen were visiting this area and their vehicle license plates showed that most of the out-of-state fishermen were from Pennsylvania & New Jersey and of course there's always fishermen visiting from all around New York State. The Salmon River was not crowded with fishermen but during the next 2 or 3 weeks more fishermen from more distant States will be arriving/fishing the Salmon River. There's plenty of places along the many-mile Salmon River for lots of fishermen to catch Salmon. Be sure to buy your fishing license, available in Pulaski & Altmar.

Every year we see fishermen from distant States & Canada. The vehicle license plates each year show that fishermen visit the Salmon River from: Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Connecticut, Vermont, Ontario, Quebec, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Maine, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Maryland, Delaware, Washington DC, Virginia, and yes I've even seen fishermen from more distant States: North Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, & Mississippi. Some of the fishermen visit to fish for a long 3 or 4 day-weekend AND some of the fishermen stay for 5 to 7 days of fishing on weekdays when there are fewer fishermen on the River; it's their yearly fishing trip to the Salmon River.

Below is a Link Line provided by Oswego County (Salmon River location) listing where to fish along the Salmon River as well as other locations in Oswego County.
SALMON FISHING LOCATIONS
Where to Fish | Visit Oswego County

The Salmon Fishing is great here. The weather is good. Come try your fishing skills on the Salmon River.

grdnrman

I haven't been up in a few years and need to feel a steelhead on my line!

Old 09-21-2011, 10:01 AM

Default Salmon River Fishing

In reply to C-D member "OhBeeHave", sure - come-on-up to do some fishing. The same for all you fishermen in all the States; the Autumn fishing season is under way. I was at Altmar & Pulaski NY, Salmon River, last Friday-Saturday-Sunday - Sept. 16-17-18 and fishing is definitely reviving-up now. I saw vehicle license plates from Virginia to Ohio and all the States in between northeastward to Maine plus Quebec & Ontario. A lot of fishermen are bringing their boats and rv's/campers for their visit and many people are simply staying at one of the many motels, rental cabins, and guest home rooms; rental places from inexpensive to reasonable average priced.

I like to talk to the visiting fishermen to find out about their fish catch and what area they like to fish. So I like to go to one of the several restaurants in the area for dinner. That's a more relaxed atmosphere and you can talk in the restaurant bar area or talk across tables in the restaurant diningrooms.

I always plan to have dinner in town after my time on the Salmon River. One restaurant I like to go to is Eddy's Place, Rt. 13, Pulaski. .. www.eddysplacerestaurant.com/ .. On Friday nights they have a great all-you-can-eat seafood buffet with salad bar & 2 soups. On Saturday nights they have an Italian Food all-you-can-eat buffet and the salad/soup bar. On Sundays they have a traditional food all-you-can-eat buffet/salad/soup bar from noon to closing. Eddy's also has a full regular menu for people who don't want all-you-can-eat. Another good restaurant is River House Restaurant, Salina St., downtown Pulaski. .. www.riverhouserestaurant.net .. River House has a full menu of daily specials, steak, seafood, chicken, veal, & pasta; there's a nice bar for drinks and conversation. One more restaurant is Ponderosa Steakhouse, Rt. 13, Pulaski. They are known for their steaks and their all-you-can-eat salad-soup-meats-breads-desserts-ice cream bar. I alternate eating at the various restaurants. All the restaurants are popular with fishermen and local residents.

Now is the time in the Autumn that you should come-on-up to the Salmon River. There's many cleaning stations to have your fish catch cleaned/prepared for taking home. Bring your ice chests to pack your fish. If you forget to bring some of your fishing equipment, there's several tackle shops where you can get anything you need. Hope to see you fishermen on the Salmon River at Pulaski & Altmar soon.

grdnrman

Last edited by grdnrman; 09-21-2011 at 10:54 AM..

Old 09-28-2011, 04:58 PM

Default Fishing for Salmon in Central New York

Our weather for the last few days has been a real mix of partly to mostly cloudy skies, very light to misty rain with periods of NO rain; there hasn't been any real heavy or long extended rainfall.

Salmon fish run-up the Salmon River is increasing with fishermen having the most success catching fish in the deeper, colder water-holes along the length of the Salmon River. Each week the fishing is getting better now. It's time for you to plan a fishing-trip to the Salmon River at Altmar & Pulaski soon this Autumn 2011.

After a day of fishing on the Salmon River, for a great meal you should have dinner at one of the restaurants mentioned in the previous message/post above. There are other restaurants to choose from as well.

Oswego County restock fish each year to maintain good numbers of fish living in the rivers, creeks, & lakes in the region.

http://visitoswegocounty.com/fishing...sh-hatcheries/

Come fish the Salmon River and spend a few relaxing, enjoyable get-away-days.

grdnrman
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York