Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 12:41 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,564,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman96 View Post
Not necessarily useless, it helps with the congestion on the 4/5 lines during peak hours.
How so? I take the 5 train every morning and nobody ever gets off at 138th Grand Concourse. The 4 skips that station during peak hours (Manhattan bound in the AM, Woodlawn bound in the PM) so even with only the 5 train serving it there's hardly anyone ever at that station. 138th/3av on the 6 is literally a two minute walk from here. Then again if it's not broken why fix it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 01:15 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
Cortelyou was my stop for a couple years. Definitely no need for both, they're barely a train length apart.
The Cortelyou stop is on a busy street at least, the Beverly stop is dead in the middle of Victorian Flatbush....surprised it didn't make the least used list above.
I take the Beverly Road stop pretty often lol, but I would have no problem walking one more block. I was there the other day and noticed the Cortelyou road stop being like you said, slightly more than a train length apart. What were they thinking when they built that station?

Old 06-29-2016, 01:22 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonsence View Post
How so? I take the 5 train every morning and nobody ever gets off at 138th Grand Concourse. The 4 skips that station during peak hours (Manhattan bound in the AM, Woodlawn bound in the PM) so even with only the 5 train serving it there's hardly anyone ever at that station. 138th/3av on the 6 is literally a two minute walk from here. Then again if it's not broken why fix it...
You just stated why. The 4 bypasses the station during peak hours to avoid merging with incoming 5 trains. If the station were to be closed it would cause merging issues and inevitable delays. Being both 4 and 5 serve the Lexington Avenue Line (busiest subway line in the system) any delay could lead to monumental consequences and usually spreads over to the other IRT trunk line, 7th avenue.

@ l1995, right lol.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:59 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,903,718 times
Quote:
Not necessarily useless, it helps with the congestion on the 4/5 lines during peak hours.

There's alot of baseless opinions in this thread, some people listed stations that have relatively high ridership and it boggles my mind lol. Just because you don't need it doesn't warrant it as useless.
I'm going to coin a new term. NIYBY instead of NIMBY. Not In YOUR Back Yard.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:58 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm very surprised 3 of the Bronx stations on that list are in the South Bronx, I thought that whole area was very dense.
May be dense but high rates of poverty. Where are people commuting to exactly?

Old 06-30-2016, 10:01 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,481,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
May be dense but high rates of poverty. Where are people commuting to exactly?
Many parts of the Bronx have high rates of poverty, though. I doubt Mott Haven is even the roughest Bronx neighborhood anymore.

Old 06-30-2016, 10:01 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,357,440 times
Quote:

There's alot of baseless opinions in this thread, some people listed stations that have relatively high ridership and it boggles my mind lol. Just because you don't need it doesn't warrant it as useless.
I posted a link to the ridership figures and the lowest ridership stations by borough yet, as you say, people still write nonsense.

This is actually a great example of human nature. Point out facts and people will still hold unto their baseless opinions.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:26 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,232,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm very surprised 3 of the Bronx stations on that list are in the South Bronx, I thought that whole area was very dense.
The 6 runs right along the edge of an industrial area and a major highway that doesn't have any residents at all. Also, the stations are really close together.

I'd also point out that E 143rd and St. Mary's St are the same station, so not sure why it's listed twice...

Old 07-01-2016, 03:31 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
You can see the Atlantic ave stop on the L train from the Broadway Junction platform. Looks like only a couple hundred feet away. The Atlantic ave stop is probably only there for the LIRR transfer that no one does except me a handful of times a year.

Old 07-01-2016, 06:18 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
I posted a link to the ridership figures and the lowest ridership stations by borough yet, as you say, people still write nonsense.

This is actually a great example of human nature. Point out facts and people will still hold unto their baseless opinions.
The data in that link can tell a bit of a false tale though. The Rockaway avenue Zeraga avenue stations on the 3 and 6 lines were closed for renovations that lasted nearly a year which would explain the low ridership ranking.There's a couple of stations on that list that have gone under renovations.

And the Harlem 148th street station is the northern terminal for the 3 line.

There's really no such thing as useless stations IMO.

Nonetheless, I agree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City