Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 03:05 PM

31 posts, read 134,006 times

Advertisements

Cant decide on a borough, coming in from outta state makes it difficult for me to judge which subway lines are reliable.
Rate 1-10. 10 being the most reliable, as in on time, hardly any delays/mess-ups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 04:53 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,751 times
http://straphangers.org/statesub09/table_2.pdf

Old 05-04-2010, 05:10 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCote View Post
Cant decide on a borough, coming in from outta state makes it difficult for me to judge which subway lines are reliable.
This is confusing...at least, to this New Yorker. A train is a train, and our system carries more than 4 million people every day. Translation: anything could happen anywhere, at any time. I hope you aren't using someone else's opinions regarding the reliability of any individual subway line to make decisions.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:08 AM

31 posts, read 134,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
This is confusing...at least, to this New Yorker. A train is a train, and our system carries more than 4 million people every day. Translation: anything could happen anywhere, at any time. I hope you aren't using someone else's opinions regarding the reliability of any individual subway line to make decisions.
i AM...

i have just heard some trains are almost totally unreliable.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:27 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,999,373 times
You can't expect individual people to give you reliable answers. Unless someone works in a different place every day, they take 1-2 lines daily and the other ones infrequently.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:49 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
i have just heard some trains are almost totally unreliable.
That's what's known as an exaggeration. Almost totally unreliable? Not true. Never has been. Do people say things? Yes they do. Are those things often based on personal opinions? You got it.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:45 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,288,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
Ditto

Old 05-04-2010, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 26,193 times
Quote:
Rate 1-10. 10 being the most reliable, as in on time, hardly any delays/mess-ups.

Im a walking messenger i rely on every train and during the Peak hours (Rush Hours) I'll say the D train Very Fast and reliable I'll give it a 8. You can catch that train at Grand St (Chinatown) and get to 34th st. in less than 10 min.

Off Peak (non rush hour [10 am - 3pm]) I'd say the 2 Line I'll give it a 7. It's reliable and no delays. It runs express all day from 7am - 11 pm

Old 05-04-2010, 07:28 PM

745 posts, read 1,437,732 times
Kind of an apples to oranges question to be honest. Depends not only on what line but from where and to where you are taking it and at what time. also.... there are express trains versus local so hard to compare the two.

Here are some of my observations off the top of my head.

The green line 4,5 (express) & 6 (local) is the only train going north/ south on the east side. These are the MOST crowded trains. rough... I have never lived on the East side so never had to rely on them. whew!

E train and the 1/9 train get PACKED at rush hour. The F, V, R or V less so. These are all local trains.

The orange lines F,V,D & B seem to have the best AC.

A "ripe" homeless person can make ANY train car unbearable. As can a loud "public speaker" either begging or selling something (often a religion).

A bad subway experience can make you despise humanity (rudeness, etc. is a nearly daily event).... but you get over it and get right back in there the next day.

Old 05-04-2010, 09:01 PM

988 posts, read 3,253,984 times
I'm not going to rate them in terms of 1-10 but i'll state my opinions and weird observations of the lines that I frequent most.

The E is the smelliest subway line to me IMO probably because its the only line that runs 100% underground and during the cold months, the E line is the #1 choice of the homeless. Its seems like every other time that I get on the E, there is a foul smell.
There isn't a 9 line anymore, that's been gone for 5 years.
I agree with above, the 4/5/6 line is extremely packed. I had to wait for 5 express trains at Grand Central this morning just to fit on one.
The G line never runs to Manhattan, has a bad rep but isn't as bad as most people think.
The L line is full of that infamous "Hipster" group which most exit at the Bedford and Lorimer stops.
The 7 gets the melting pot award.
Why in the heck is there a stop at 18th street on the 1 line?
I feel the most uneasy on the 2/5 or 4 in the Bronx and the A in Brooklyn/Queens, but still comfortable overall.
The E,F,J,L,Z,2,4,5 and 6 generally has the newest cars with the automated announcements and digital displays. They also make these weird(unique) whistling and squealing noises.
The C line uses the oldest cars from the late 60s, the doors in between the cars still open while the trains are moving. Creepy ride, terrible squeaky brakes.
The A from 59th to 125th is the longest express stretch with no stops.
The V train is....just there, if it were to completely be discontinued(instead of merging with the M), then no one would miss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: