Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:17 PM

88 posts, read 510,400 times

Advertisements

with the MTA complaining about a budget deficit, which subway line and or Subway stations is utter useless?

I think extending the M in to Bensonhurst is pointless, but that issue will be address when they reroute the M line in to the current V line.

The V & W line pointless, and should be eliminated all together.

Fort Hamilton, 50, and 55th station in Bk. they should get rid of one of this station...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 09:35 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,640 times
Did they get rid of the Z train yet? Wasn't that train a waste?

Personally, I see absolutely no point to the 5 train in Brooklyn, or even Manhattan. It must be a waste of the MTA's money. It runs on the 4 line all the way from 125th St. to Franklin Avenue, and then it goes on the 2 line for the remainder of the trip to Flatbush Ave. I say this as an everyday rider of the 5 train... why do we have one train that doesn't make any unique stops in Brooklyn or Manhattan at all? Yes, it does simplify the process of not having to transfer at Franklin Avenue for the 2 Train... but really, is this necessary? I feel like I'm the only person in the world who feels this way, because I have never seen another soul mention a word of it, but I just thought I'd get this out there, lol.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:03 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Ridership on the Z line is probably quite a bit greater than people imagine. An additional train coming in from Jamaica, especially since it picks up all the people from Nassau County whose commuter buses drop them off at the Parsons/Archer terminal, is not a waste by any means. (There are only five Z trains run each rush hour, by the way).

As to the W, its only real purpose is to provide extra service out of Astoria. In truth, the two-track terminal at Ditmars Boulevard can't really handle two lines. Adding an extra N train every hour (=6 or 7 minute headway) and eliminating the W would work very well.

The station with the least use in the entire subway system is the Bowery (J,M,Z lines), which serves barely 400 people an hour.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:11 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,289,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analyticalkeys View Post

Personally, I see absolutely no point to the 5 train in Brooklyn, or even Manhattan. It must be a waste of the MTA's money. It runs on the 4 line all the way from 125th St. to Franklin Avenue, and then it goes on the 2 line for the remainder of the trip to Flatbush Ave. I say this as an everyday rider of the 5 train... why do we have one train that doesn't make any unique stops in Brooklyn or Manhattan at all? Yes, it does simplify the process of not having to transfer at Franklin Avenue for the 2 Train... but really, is this necessary? I feel like I'm the only person in the world who feels this way, because I have never seen another soul mention a word of it, but I just thought I'd get this out there, lol.
Hmmm...interesting you brought that up. I believe earlier this year (or late 09 don't remember exactly) the MTA increased the 5 service to Flatbush so that it now runs during weekday off-peak hours instead of just rush hours, so apparently there's some kind of demand for it.

Personally I think the MTA should keep this one going. Yes the 5 does run on the same track as the 4 in Manhattan and Brooklyn up to Franklin, but don't forget that the 5 makes less stops than the 2 in Manhattan and it also runs express in Brooklyn up to Franklin (unlike the 2 which is all local). In addition, the 5 runs express service in the Bronx during Rush Hours up to East 180th (with some trains running on the 2 all the way to Nereid Ave/W Plains Rd) so you're talking saving commuters who travel from the Bronx (NE Bronx in particular) and Harlem to Downtown BK/Flatbush and vice versa a considerable amount of time by giving them a direct connection w/o the need to transfer, which will save the stress of having to squeeze onto a super crowed 2 or 4 train at 3rd Ave-149th or Grand Concourse.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:22 PM

423 posts, read 1,280,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_R160 View Post
with the MTA complaining about a budget deficit, which subway line and or Subway stations is utter useless?

I think extending the M in to Bensonhurst is pointless, but that issue will be address when they reroute the M line in to the current V line.

Fort Hamilton, 50, and 55th station in Bk. they should get rid of one of this station...
I don't understand why you want them to get rid of one of those stations...

Old 04-19-2010, 04:36 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Quote:

The V line has very heavy ridership in Queens and is quite necessary there. Originally the V line replaced the G line service along Queens Blvd. It absolutely necessary during the week for there to be 2 local subway lines along Queens Blvd.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:23 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,600,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The V line has very heavy ridership in Queens and is quite necessary there. Originally the V line replaced the G line service along Queens Blvd. It absolutely necessary during the week for there to be 2 local subway lines along Queens Blvd.
You'll have to excuse your friendly local MTA tower operator for disagreeing with you on this, but ridership on the V line is not "very heavy," and has not been since the day it was inaugurated. However, nobody is going to lose the service, since the new pattern will have the M line replacing it in Queens.

That will certainly be a novel service pattern--a nearly complete circle from Metropolitan Avenue to Continental Avenue, taking in Queens Boulevard, Nassau Street and Broadway, Brooklyn.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:42 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,984,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You'll have to excuse your friendly local MTA tower operator for disagreeing with you on this, but ridership on the V line is not "very heavy," and has not been since the day it was inaugurated. However, nobody is going to lose the service, since the new pattern will have the M line replacing it in Queens.

That will certainly be a novel service pattern--a nearly complete circle from Metropolitan Avenue to Continental Avenue, taking in Queens Boulevard, Nassau Street and Broadway, Brooklyn.
The only people who are missing out are the people who have to take the M beyond Essex Street, as they now have to transfer to the J... as someone who doesn't ride the M train, it looks like I'll be riding it a lot now since it's replacing the V, lol. I guess it's an interesting change, but I can't imagine anyone taking the train from Continental to Metropolitan or visa versa, as that would be the biggest waste of time with the buses taking a considerably less amount of time to get to either location.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:30 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andez View Post
I don't understand why you want them to get rid of one of those stations...

leave our "M" train alone, we need it here, and those stations you mention, Hello, people use them, they are not in a desolate area.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:31 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:

I meant you.
we need our M train here, those stations are used a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City