Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 10:33 AM

30 posts, read 114,082 times

Advertisements

I am wondering where the recent college grads live? What neighborhoods are major universities in? I am interested in an area that has pubs/bars (i.e. not trendy bars/clubs hotspots) I am looking for an area that has real pubs. Money is an issue, so trendy areas are not an option.

I am looking for a place similar to Wrigleyville or Lincoln Park in Chicago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 11:26 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,300,500 times
If money's an issue, I'd look at Inwood in Upper Manhattan and Astoria in Queens. "Recent college grads" used to move to Williamsburg in Brooklyn, but it's gotten expensive in recent years (although you might be able to find a descent roommate situation there). There are other parts of Brooklyn, like Bushwick and Bed-Stuy, but I think Astoria is more convenient to Midtown and safer. Other parts of Queens with a lot of pubs are Woodside and Sunnyside. Are you looking to live alone, with a roommate? Where is your job? What is your budget?

Old 10-29-2008, 11:42 AM

30 posts, read 114,082 times
Well, they have offices in all 5 boroughs, so im not sure yet. I am just in the research stage. I definitely plan on having roomates (if i do move here, living alone would be boring). I would say that $800 is my budget, with a roomate of course. I would just like an area that has college students/grads so when I feel like going to a bar or a random house party i dont have to travel far.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:59 AM

824 posts, read 2,792,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy88 View Post
I would say that $800 is my budget, with a roomate of course. I would just like an area that has college students/grads so when I feel like going to a bar or a random house party i dont have to travel far.
Here on the border of Kips Bay, 3rd Ave in the 30's, there are lots of students and recent grads. Lots of bars with a younger crowd on 3rd Ave. $800/month, even with roomies, might not be enough, but it's possible.

I've also heard that Yorkville (upper east side) is a hotbed of students, recent grads, and bars that cater to them.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:14 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,577,356 times
I second the suggestions for Astoria, Woodside, Sunnyside based on your budget and desire for bars,etc. You should check out the Bohemian Beer Garden in Astoria if you do end up there.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:38 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,300,500 times
Recent grads are spread out all over the city; they simply go to neighborhoods they can afford. Smaller cities, like Seattle or Minneapolis, have grad-centric neighborhoods that are both affordable and hip. New York has "destination neighborhoods" for young people, like Williamsburg or the East Village, but they are expensive. A roommate situation in the East Village would start around $1,200 (each).

Lots of recent grads live around Murray Hill, especially east of Third Avenue. However, most of these people have entry-level finance/corporate job and pay more than $800 a month in rent. Personally, the neighborhood is a bit too corporate-frat-boy for my taste. The more creative types, like the graphic designers and media people, live in Hell's Kitchen, the East Village or Chelsea.

For $800, you're probably better off in Queens, places like Astoria and Woodside. My best friend (and former college roommate) lives in Woodside and loves it. Woodside is very diverse and doesn't have the gentrification anxiety/animosity that many other neighborhoods have (at least that I can tell). It has a large Irish community (from Ireland) and has a very active pub culture. It's very safe and convenient to Manhattan. It's right on the 7 train, and you have the added bonus of the LIRR to Penn Station.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:17 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,951,346 times
I graduated May '07, so I guess that's fairly recent. There seem to be a lot of people around my age here in Astoria.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:20 PM

283 posts, read 1,072,610 times
Brooklyn.. wherever in Brooklyn their broker claims is cool.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:26 PM

467 posts, read 1,684,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I graduated May '07, so I guess that's fairly recent. There seem to be a lot of people around my age here in Astoria.

Agreed. I would recommend Astoria, or any area in Western Queens by the subway.

I graduated in '06 and first I lived in the UES, and then Astoria. A lot of college grads in the UES like 2nd Ave, 1st Ave. A little further from the subway, but still good. You can usually get larger rooms there for a decent price. I recommend the Upper East Side too.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:34 PM

536 posts, read 2,349,592 times
I just find it funny that no matter how many times citydata recommends western Queens to people wanting to move to NYC, it's northwest Brooklyn that just keeps on gentrifying haha. so be it, I'm looking to move to western Queens within the next 8 months anyway, it would be nice to afford it :P.

Brooklyn south of Prospect Park or neighborhoods in central Queens like Middle Village are probably the best bet quality-of-'hood vs. affordability, but there's a reason for that--long subway rides and/or two-fare zones (you only pay one fare though, the term was made archaic by metrocards, but buses still suck) plus a perceived "suburban" atmosphere that yuppies don't find too cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City