Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2008, 03:32 PM

5 posts, read 121,849 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I am wondering if there are any lawyers visiting this blog that can lend an insight into the New York legal market for recent law school grads. I'm moving up there in October after I take the bar exam and I realize that the market does not look good at all. Nevertheless, one has to think that odds of employment rise after passing the bar, right?

Also, what do salaries look like in small- to mid-sized firms practicing bankruptcy and commercial law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 04:36 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,676,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankdatank View Post
Hey all,

I am wondering if there are any lawyers visiting this blog that can lend an insight into the New York legal market for recent law school grads. I'm moving up there in October after I take the bar exam and I realize that the market does not look good at all. Nevertheless, one has to think that odds of employment rise after passing the bar, right?

Also, what do salaries look like in small- to mid-sized firms practicing bankruptcy and commercial law?
I am a first-year law student in NYC and the market to me looks alright. It's supposed to get better in a couple years. For small firms, salaries are around $60-90K; for medium firms about $70-120K from what I've heard.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:13 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,372,524 times
Yeah right. Small firms are closer to $55k-$65k. Medium firms do pay close to $70k-$90k, however the medium firm market is almost non-existant. Large firms pay $160k+. There are plenty of big law jobs out there, but you have to graduate from the Ivy league to get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I am a first-year law student in NYC and the market to me looks alright. It's supposed to get better in a couple years. For small firms, salaries are around $60-90K; for medium firms about $70-120K from what I've heard.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:48 PM

11 posts, read 39,435 times
Keep in mind though, that the rents in new york will cost you above 2000 a month for a studio or 2700+ for a one bed.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:37 PM

4 posts, read 13,414 times
Any info on the family or criminal law market?

Old 04-07-2008, 06:54 PM

33 posts, read 44,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankdatank View Post
Hey all,

I can only speak for the big law firms, which start at 160k. What's interesting is that we pay 160k in just about all of our offices across the nation, including Houston. Guess how far 160k/year will take you in Houston, where the housing is cheap, and there's no state or city income tax?

By the way, you don't need an Ivy League degree to get into a large law firm; take it from me. Just be at or near the top of your class. Top performers from all "tiers" get offers.

While it's true that lawyers are a dime a dozen in New York, there is, and always will be, competition for the best.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:41 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,496,481 times
Well just by looking at careerbuilder and others. I see a lot of 150,000 offers for 5+ years of experience. But at the same time 200+ for 5+ years experience. The weird thing I can't find one offer for entry level.

Old 04-09-2008, 07:17 PM

33 posts, read 44,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
Well just by looking at careerbuilder and others. I see a lot of 150,000 offers for 5+ years of experience. But at the same time 200+ for 5+ years experience. The weird thing I can't find one offer for entry level.
A lot of entry-level attorneys are recruited from law schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: