Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 07:46 PM

21 posts, read 77,099 times

Advertisements

Hello all! My boyfriend and I are looking to move to NYC in June of '09 after we both get our graduate degrees. We already have a few job offers and now comes all the nitty gritty.

We have been to NYC once, for a week, and did the tourist thing but obviously know nothing about the city. We are looking to make about 30-40,000 each. What we would be ideally looking for is a rather safe area. Something that if I came from work late around 8/9 at night I wouldn't be scared out of my mind thinking someone is going to jump me. We're from the metro Detroit area so being from suburbia we're looking for an area we'll feel safe. We'd also like something close by to public transit so we don't have to bring a car if possible, or if we did, an area where parking wouldn't be impossible. Also, I've been reading a lot in newspaper articles that bedbugs are becoming an epidemic problem in the city. So an area (or apartment complex) where bedbugs and roaches aren't an issue.

I know this is a lot but help would be great. Our price range hopefully will be only about $1000-$1500 a month. But we're not really sure what to expect financially other than the fact prices for everything there are very inflated.

Thank you for any help out there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 08:07 PM

108 posts, read 350,054 times
Default Having lived there 10 years would tell you dont

live in the city -go to say westchester county and take the train in to look for a job and to commute into the city once you have a job. I believe your rent expectations and what you hope to find are unrealistic for the city but counties in upper more parts of the state maybe possible in armonk ,cross river.Try Connecticut,Stamford-Just an hour train ride not bad better chances of better living arrangement and get a realtor to show you some. Hope I helped you..

We have been to NYC once, for a week, and did the tourist thing but obviously know nothing about the city. We are looking to make about 30-40,000 each. What we would be ideally looking for is a rather safe area. Something that if I came from work late around 8/9 at night I wouldn't be scared out of my mind thinking someone is going to jump me. We're from the metro Detroit area so being from suburbia we're looking for an area we'll feel safe. We'd also like something close by to public transit so we don't have to bring a car if possible, or if we did, an area where parking wouldn't be impossible. Also, I've been reading a lot in newspaper articles that bedbugs are becoming an epidemic problem in the city. So an area (or apartment complex) where bedbugs and roaches aren't an issue.

I know this is a lot but help would be great. Our price range hopefully will be only about $1000-$1500 a month. But we're not really sure what to expect financially other than the fact prices for everything there are very inflated.

Thank you for any help out there![/quote]

Last edited by blu banks; 04-13-2008 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: Did something wrong

Old 04-13-2008, 08:11 PM

21 posts, read 77,099 times
Default realistic rent

What is a realistic outlook on rent in the city? Also, what is unrealistic for the city ... the rent or safety?

Old 04-13-2008, 08:13 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,416,676 times
You can definitely find a 1br for under $1,500, but you won't be living in Manhattan. You can rent a 1br for that price in a lot of nice neighborhoods in the outer-boroughs.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:17 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,375,573 times
For $1000-$1500/month you can get a decent sized apartment in Washington Heights

Broadway below the big hospital is nice

Old 04-13-2008, 09:34 PM

12,339 posts, read 26,284,380 times
Plenty of safe, nice neighborhoods for a one bdr in your rent range. Don't bring a car, you can find a place near the subway.

My reccos for this rent range in Brooklyn
Bay Ridge
Kensington
Ditmas Park (Cortelyou Rd. is nice)
and in Queens
Astoria
Sunnyside
Jackson Heights
Kew Gardens
Forest Hills - though might be tough on your rent range.

Vantage has recently taken over a bunch of bldgs in Queens and I have heard they are a good mgmt company (however, in some cases they have just taken over bldgs that were not managed properly before so this may be a work in progress). This is NOT a recco because I don't know firsthand - just that it might be a good website to look at. I don't kwow if they charge a fee - they may not.

As for roaches and bedbugs - that's a tough one. You should know that bedbugs are a problem everywhere, not just NYC. The issue is that they are attracted to living breathing bodies and not to food/uncleanliness like roaches. Therefore, any residence can end up with them including super high-end places. Therefore you need to find a building with good management and good neighbors so that if bedbugs do arrive on the scene, they will be dealt with appropriately. When you look at a building, you should look to see if the lobby, trash, and laundry areas are well kept. Of course you won't see any bedbugs around but the cleanliness level may give you a good indication how pro-active the management company is.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-18-2009 at 04:20 PM.. Reason: Edited out link

Old 04-13-2008, 09:58 PM

757 posts, read 3,375,566 times
Bedbugs live in mattresses and upholstered furniture. If you're not renting a furnished apt., you won't have a problem (unless your furn./matt. picked some up en route).

Old 04-14-2008, 05:11 AM

7,079 posts, read 38,055,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
For $1000-$1500/month you can get a decent sized apartment in Washington Heights

Broadway below the big hospital is nice
Actually, no, it's NOT very nice. You'd do better in Inwood and uptown from the hospital. And if you MUST live in this area, stay WEST of Broadway.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:53 AM

12,339 posts, read 26,284,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
Bedbugs live in mattresses and upholstered furniture. If you're not renting a furnished apt., you won't have a problem (unless your furn./matt. picked some up en route).
they also live in walls and floorboards. People move out to escape them, take all their furniture, leaving an "empty" apartment. Next tenant moves in to very hungry bugs. Don't want to be dramatic, but it's happening with more and more frequency and not just in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City