Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 02:15 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,934,214 times

Advertisements

Well, if you look at the schools, there are still plenty of white kids in Bayside, so I don't think it's tipping quite yet. A few schools are majority Asian, but most aren't.

And blaming the Asians for the teardowns? Go to Forest Hills and see what the Bukharans are doing. The stupid McMansions are not confined to any one ethnic group...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 03:25 PM

317 posts, read 1,145,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelight99 View Post

You are clearly being overly politically correct, and are not in the mainstream in the way most Baysiders see this situation.
If that's true, I'm glad I don't live in Bayside, and I wouldn't recommend such an exclusive and xenophobic community to anyone else, either.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:57 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,934,214 times
So the Asians themselves don't count as "most" I take it...

Old 07-17-2008, 09:00 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,989,447 times
Quote:
"You don't see Spanish language signs all over Jackson Heights and Corona,with a little bit of English? Where have you been?"

Of course I do. But you now want Bayside to look like Jackson Heights or Corona?? I for one don't want to live in JH or Corona, I want to live in BAYSIDE. The house values should stay Bayside values, not turn into JH or Corona values!
Can you please reread what you said? What does one even have to do with the other?

Old 07-18-2008, 07:19 PM

536 posts, read 2,350,388 times
Quote:
I do not believe that I am xenophobic at all.
We're talking about Bayside here, and you whip out a picture of downtown Flushing. Why should I even bother discussing the topic with you anymore? I am not threatened by writing in a foreign language on the signs in my neighborhood. If anything, it adds something special. How many other neighborhoods in this country are as middle class as Bayside and have Korean lettering all over the place? People talk about how great their neighborhoods are but say it's going downhill because of the things that make it unique. I don't understand it.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:34 PM

536 posts, read 2,350,388 times
Quote:
Of course I do. But you now want Bayside to look like Jackson Heights or Corona?? I for one don't want to live in JH or Corona, I want to live in BAYSIDE. The house values should stay Bayside values, not turn into JH or Corona values!
And well-off Asian families moving into your neighborhood make the housing prices drop to Corona levels in what way? Please explain that?

Old 07-19-2008, 09:40 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,523,101 times
Quote:
You said: "The Koren stores and restaurants use English AS WELL as Korean."

I really don't know what world you are living in. I dare you to walk around and look around at the signs going up. Most signs are entirely in Korean. Take a drive to Auburndale and look around.

"You don't see Spanish language signs all over Jackson Heights and Corona,with a little bit of English? Where have you been?"

"Re: Illegal dumps: My street is all single family houses in great condition. A Chinese family just moved in, tore down what I consider to have been a good house and is building a one family house that I consider ugly, but which, for them, is better as it fits their idea of nice: New, new technology, huge windows, etc. The complied with all building codes. The family lived in the old house and DID NOT have anyone other than their small immediate family there and they are well educated, English speaking (but recent immigrants from Hong Kong) professionals. I say more power to them."

You are choosing one example. Statistically, most of the homes being torn down were one-family homes being replaced by ugly MUD's. See for example, the corner of 213th Street and 39th Avenue. How many Stop Work Orders have been issued there for building code violations already? How many units are being squeezed in there illegally??

"Yes, there is a Korean section of Bayside - so what?"

The problem is that ALL of Bayside is changing for the worse. It's not just a "Korean section," which would be fine.

You are clearly being overly politically correct, and are not in the mainstream in the way most Baysiders see this situation. The housing values will eventually drop, and you will find it hard to sell your house.
It is you who live in a different world!! You are flat out wrong about the signs: They ARE in Korean AND English, almost always. As a matter of fact, take a look at the brand new line-up of Korean stores and a bank along Northern Blvd at the corner of Corporal Kennedy: These places have large English signs, not small ones, alongside Korean ones. Very, very few Korean stores or restaurants are only in Korean outside - and the English is clear to see.

For anyone else reading this: I live right near the new attached building set-up being constructed that you describe, and yes, it is ugly. But your whole point was that the Asians are doing this: The owner and builder is a Mediterranean name: We think it is Jewish. So much for the Koreans and Chinese ruining Bayside on that one!

Yes, of course there are newcomers or outside builders putting up ugly new buildings, but that is all over Queens, and not more so in Bayside.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:44 PM

<< The problem is that ALL of Bayside is changing for the worse. It's not just a "Korean section," which would be fine.>>

Bayside was not even beautiful before all the new building that has been going on these past 12 or more years now. I have lived elsewhere and came to Bayside as an outsider, only due to the need for a good commute to NYC. I really thought it was not an attractive place at all - lower middle class and many houses very shabby and never much at all even when they were built in the 1920's or a few years before or after that. Sounds like you don't have much perspective: Do a little traveling and come back to Bayside and you will see that there are so many much more attractive places in which to live. It's just an OK place and always was just OK.

Old 07-20-2008, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minus View Post
If that's true, I'm glad I don't live in Bayside, and I wouldn't recommend such an exclusive and xenophobic community to anyone else, either.
If you mean by "exclusive" construction company bosses or owners with a high school diploma, or white collar employeers with no higher educatioin, then Bayside is your place LOL!

Now, however, in recent years, we homeowners here have watched the arrival of people who not only went to college but who went to top schools. They are the newcomers here in my neighborhood, but the oldsters are generally retired or aging blue collar business owners or restaurant owners, etc. Usually ,they are people like you who have prejudices. They are usually the xenophobes. My newer neighbors are gay couples with kids, Ivy educated lawyers, etc. They are people of color with Chinese, Caribbean and Jewish and Irish-American and they are fun and well informed. They actually know what is happening in the world and deplore the anti-Korean or Chinese talk.

If the house values are going to go down in my neighborhood, well, I guess the Koreans and children of the well educated newer folks I have described had better all sell fast and then the top school district in all of New York City will not command the high prices it does.

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-20-2008 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: Rude

Old 07-20-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
We're talking about Bayside here, and you whip out a picture of downtown Flushing. Why should I even bother discussing the topic with you anymore? I am not threatened by writing in a foreign language on the signs in my neighborhood. If anything, it adds something special. How many other neighborhoods in this country are as middle class as Bayside and have Korean lettering all over the place? People talk about how great their neighborhoods are but say it's going downhill because of the things that make it unique. I don't understand it.
Don't worry, no one normal will take Limelight99 seriously.

(For others who don't know this: the photo he posted is not in Bayside. It is the well known largest Asian (Chinese and Korean and other Asians) shopping and living area in all of New York City, 6 miles from here, called Flushing. That photo is in or near Flushing, Main Street.

Limelight knows he is lying and he is playing with us. I am not going to respond to him anymore. He's history, as far as I am concerned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City