Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:48 AM

2,280 posts, read 4,515,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsager45 View Post
Hey, I'm thinking about moving to Bayside, Queens. I'm a 23 year old guy working in Westbury, LI. I chose Bayside because it's 20 minutes to work, and 20 minutes to Penn Station via the LIRR. Plus I hear Bell Blvd has lots of stores, bars, and restaurants. I'm deciding between an apartment on 36th and Bell or an apartment south of the LIRR near Northern Blvd. The prices are more than I expected ($1295 for a studio), but less than Manhattan. So is Bayside a fun, safe, convenient place to live? I know there's no subway, but I hear you can take a bus to Flushing-Main Street and catch the 7 train. I also hear the parks are large and nice. What do you think about living in Bayside? Does it have a NYC feel without the inner-city problems?
We are long time home owners in Bayside, live in a 4 bedroom single family house and are near the LIRR. My husband loves the easy commute to Penn Station: 25 minutes door to door and it goes every half hour.

I don't want to say whether or not Bayside would be fun for you. It is not a place most well educated, intellectually aware young people would go to in order to make new friends, as they would not meet up with budding, say, writers, artists, journalists, college professors - aspiring to that - or the kind of person you would find in, say, Park Slope, usually. It is more down-scale in that way: You should see how trashy the young women dress on Bell Blvd, and I am no prude, but they haven't got a clue and look pretty brain-dead, as do most of the guys. Not the same as in say, the West Village or Upper West Side, totally different. It's more like people in business, and I don't mean a Wall Street financial analyst who went to a top college and grad school - no, you are NOT going to get that here! It's more like Queensborough Community College, etc.

But, Bayside is very safe, amazingly so, clean and has great parks. Most of the home owners never do much on Bell Blvd - they go to Manhattan or Long Island for entertainment, not Bell Blvd.

I greatly sympathize with your need to get a nice place in which to live at an affordable price. Manhattan and Brooklyn are out of sight - impossible!

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 01:05 PM

6 posts, read 110,974 times
Exclamation Bayside is at a Tipping Point

Bayside used to be gorgeous, and parts of it still are. There are many million dollar homes, and down by Bay Terrace and by the water, there are still some incredible ones. The area was a nice mix of Italians, Jews, Irish and Germans. Great restaurants, local bars and family-owned stores lined Bell Boulevard. Safe area, low crime, pretty good schools...the American dream.

Now, unfortunately, many Asians are moving in from Flushing and taking over. Sure, they are entitled to the American dream too, but they are putting in 10-family dumps where there used to be 1 family quaint houses, and squeezing in illegals in the basement. They are violating building codes like crazy with disregard for everyone.

They open stores, but their signs are all in Korean or Chinese, essentially professing that anyone not in their ethnic group are unwelcome.

It's a shame.

I fear Bayside is at a crossroads. In 5 years, if it continues on its current path, it may look like Flushing. There is already no parking, and street crime is slowly going up. The 111th Precinct is becoming swamped and understaffed. It takes them an hour to respond to a routine call now.

The houses are still way overpriced, and I bet they stay that way, even as the area changes.

I've lived there 15 years, and I'd love to stay there, but I fear it's getting too overcrowded and unwelcoming to families.

For a single guy who works in Manhattan, it's not a bad place, but I'd recommend Manhattan for its nightlife and single's scene way before Bayside.

Old 07-16-2008, 04:13 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,369,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post

I don't want to say whether or not Bayside would be fun for you. It is not a place most well educated, intellectually aware young people would go to in order to make new friends, as they would not meet up with budding, say, writers, artists, journalists, college professors - aspiring to that - or the kind of person you would find in, say, Park Slope, usually. It is more down-scale in that way: You should see how trashy the young women dress on Bell Blvd, and I am no prude, but they haven't got a clue and look pretty brain-dead, as do most of the guys. Not the same as in say, the West Village or Upper West Side, totally different. It's more like people in business, and I don't mean a Wall Street financial analyst who went to a top college and grad school - no, you are NOT going to get that here! It's more like Queensborough Community College, etc.
Hey don't insult all of the ladies from Bayside. Many of them are quite hot!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:43 PM

536 posts, read 2,349,007 times
Bayside ain't quite the suburbs yet. If you look at the demographics for say, the 11364 area code (Bayside Hills and Oakland Gardens... I pick it because it's mine), the density is over 11,000 per square mile, 1/3 of the population was born in a foreign country, and 60% of units are owner-occupied. I also saw at stat that says 50% of the population speaks a language other than english at home, and it sounds about right. You know you're not quite on Long Island yet.

Newsflash Limelight: you're xenophobic. Don't act like there's no white people who run illegal boarding houses either, I've seen it in person, whole families to each bedroom. And all those signs with Korean writing on them also have English, as the law requires, and you're free to go in there and buy a bottle of ramune or something--nothing is stopping you except you. As for 10-family dumps, blame greedy developers capitalizing on the housing shortage in the neighborhood, Asians have nothing to do with it.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:11 AM

295 posts, read 1,505,465 times
Default bayside...again

Martha...Sorry...you're missing out on your community. Maybe you should go to a few places other than bars. Young brain dead, trashy women on Bell Blvd...you crack me up!!!! I'm seriously...can't stop laughing....

Tofu, you were really lucky in that rent find. I assure you...that was under market.

OK...I'm better now....

Many of my friends grew up in Bayside/Whitestone & some stayed around there. Their families are still there. I always thought is was a great, family oriented neighborhood. It's got a spectacular FREE school system to rival many private ones. There are many people who finished college, yes...even IVY colleges...(though I admit, I don't know any writers and artists...but I do know an astronomer, investment banker, school teacher & doctor...does that count?).

Asians have been in Bayside for a looooooong time...certainly more than 15 yrs. They are many of the friends mentioned above. So have Greeks, Italians, Puerto Ricans, ect...I don't want to exclude. Welcome to NYC.

You can always report illegal tenants to NYC. They will mandate all things to be removed from the illegal apt. That will drive up all rents, but increase parking. Yes...sadly, this is a city & there is no farm-land anymore (I remember someone actually having room for a stable & horse when I grew up...now it is a row of multi-family homes).

Good luck dsager. It's going to be exciting. Parking will be tough in Flushing....but I'm sure you will figure things out!

Def go to that strip to jog/bike by the Throgs neck bridge & try the cafes for night life.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:08 AM

Default Bayside

I do not believe that I am xenophobic at all.

Here's the real problem...many Asians (mostly Koreans) in these particular areas are not following the LAW and developing nice, quaint communities that integrate well into the larger community. For example, they are openly:

1) Violating housing, zoning and health laws. The type of buildings that are going up are awful slums.

2) Cramming illegal immigrants into basements. These poor people are victims of human trafficking.

3) Putting up signs in foreign languages without English (a violation of local signage laws). The law requires signs to be at least 1/2 in English, in part so if police/fire crews need to enter the premises, they know whether it's a doctor's office, dentist's office, restaurant, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Thoughts on Bayside, Queens?-miscsprg060032.jpg  

Old 07-17-2008, 10:10 AM

Default Sorry about Bayside remarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead View Post
Hey don't insult all of the ladies from Bayside. Many of them are quite hot!
I have observed many very attractive, well groomed and professional women as they walk to the train in the morning. (Actually, I don't think you have to be a professional, not at all! - just have some class, and class is not money but how you behave. )Some of these young female commuters live in Bayside, but many park their car here after driving in from the suburbs.

Of course, I should have been more clear about what I meant And my own brother went to a a Long Island community college before transferring to an Ivy League! So, I am a believer in community colleges, too. I know several great young people who do and did attend Queensborough CC - but I was trying to talk about the apparent lack intellectual brain power on Bell Blvd, and/or the lack of class - not money, true class - I am sure it is not impressive. ) But I was meaning that the women who are dressed with zero aesthetics (a mini now so short it is just the same as a bathing suit - to her panties and I mean it, shorter than ever!), overweight and yet wearing unflattering tight clothes, basically looking like a no-cool lady of the night, no clue about what looks sexy AND cool, not-cool hair and make-up, etc., well, if that is some young man's dream woman, more power to him.

In Manhattan and Brooklyn, it is a different mind set with these women of the same age. If I were a young person today, I would definitely consider Bayside, but only for the safety, parks, ease of shopping and restaurants, but NEVER for the night scene on Bell Blvd!!

Old 07-17-2008, 10:23 AM

<<Now, unfortunately, many Asians are moving in from Flushing and taking over. Sure, they are entitled to the American dream too, but they are putting in 10-family dumps where there used to be 1 family quaint houses, and squeezing in illegals in the basement. They are violating building codes like crazy with disregard for everyone.

They open stores, but their signs are all in Korean or Chinese, essentially professing that anyone not in their ethnic group are unwelcome.

It's a shame.

I fear Bayside is at a crossroads. In 5 years, if it continues on its current path, it may look like Flushing. There is already no parking, and street crime is slowly going up. The 111th Precinct is becoming swamped and understaffed. It takes them an hour to respond to a routine call now.>>

I really strongly disagree with some of your post, and partly agree with maybe 25% of it.

For one thing, get a life: The Jews posted in all Hebrew in the Lower East Side at the turn of the century, Italians still sometimes use the word :Salumeria (Italian deli), and you are not accurate about the signege anyway: The Koren stores and restaurants use English AS WELL as Korean. I think you showed that old American racial and ethnic bias and lack of tolerance and wrote your message to suit your bias. It is so important not to write or say these kinds of things, because it only fans the flames of intolerance, IMO. And I am Irish/English in ancestry, so believe me, Korean culture and ways is different from mine in a major way, but I try to be understanding of the fact that you are dealing with newer immigrants who will take some generations to integrate.

You don't see Spanish language signs all over Jackson Heights and Corona,with a little bit of English? Where have you been?

Re: Illegal dumps: My street is all single family houses in great condition. A Chinese family just moved in, tore down what I consider to have been a good house and is building a one family house that I consider ugly, but which, for them, is better as it fits their idea of nice: New, new technology, huge windows, etc. The complied with all building codes. The family lived in the old house and DID NOT have anyone other than their small immediate family there and they are well educated, English speaking (but recent immigrants from Hong Kong) professionals.

I say more power to them.

Our other Chinese family did a beautiful update on the existing home and is two parents, two kids.

We have Greek families here who do over houses and build new ones and who are staying here. We are in North Bayside and we have young professional couples buying here all the time (European and African American very well paid and educated professionals, such as attorneys.)

Yes, there is a Korean section of Bayside - so what?

Old 07-17-2008, 10:45 AM

<<Martha...Sorry...you're missing out on your community. Maybe you should go to a few places other than bars. Young brain dead, trashy women on Bell Blvd...you crack me up!!!! I'm seriously...can't stop laughing....>>

I guess you don't mind what I do. The housing, the parks, some of the stores (if your idea of a good store is Victoria's Secret, Express, Barnes and Noble) are pretty good, but anyone who is going to sit there and describe the night scene on Bell Blvd as "exciting" - well, I don't even have the words. And we have owned here for many years and do NOT frequent Bell except to use Rite Aid or get a haircut, or pick up a pizza, etc.

Yes, the ladies who hang out on Bell at night look trashy and the guys are looking pretty brain dead, at least half of them, too. It attracts that type. Sorry you are not happy, but "thems the facts".

Old 07-17-2008, 12:27 PM

Default Bayside/Koreans Moving In

You said: "The Koren stores and restaurants use English AS WELL as Korean."

I really don't know what world you are living in. I dare you to walk around and look around at the signs going up. Most signs are entirely in Korean. Take a drive to Auburndale and look around.

"You don't see Spanish language signs all over Jackson Heights and Corona,with a little bit of English? Where have you been?"

Of course I do. But you now want Bayside to look like Jackson Heights or Corona?? I for one don't want to live in JH or Corona, I want to live in BAYSIDE. The house values should stay Bayside values, not turn into JH or Corona values!

"Re: Illegal dumps: My street is all single family houses in great condition. A Chinese family just moved in, tore down what I consider to have been a good house and is building a one family house that I consider ugly, but which, for them, is better as it fits their idea of nice: New, new technology, huge windows, etc. The complied with all building codes. The family lived in the old house and DID NOT have anyone other than their small immediate family there and they are well educated, English speaking (but recent immigrants from Hong Kong) professionals. I say more power to them."

You are choosing one example. Statistically, most of the homes being torn down were one-family homes being replaced by ugly MUD's. See for example, the corner of 213th Street and 39th Avenue. How many Stop Work Orders have been issued there for building code violations already? How many units are being squeezed in there illegally??

"Yes, there is a Korean section of Bayside - so what?"

The problem is that ALL of Bayside is changing for the worse. It's not just a "Korean section," which would be fine.

You are clearly being overly politically correct, and are not in the mainstream in the way most Baysiders see this situation. The housing values will eventually drop, and you will find it hard to sell your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City