Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 07:14 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Funny I graduated Prep in 79! I had friends in Bayside High I know your pain!
you lived near that old dive bar on 35th that the Deli Boys (Dulligans) hung out at...?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 09:54 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,658,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
you lived near that old dive bar on 35th that the Deli Boys (Dulligans) hung out at...?
I think you mean the Old Forge. I lived on Corp Kennedy and the we moved over to Weeks Woodlands (by park). We probably know alot of the same people did you go to Sacred Heart or Blessed Sacrament or Marie Curie?

Old 04-13-2011, 08:08 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,964 times
Ahhh, the Olde Forge. Peanut shells on the floor. I remember wondering how flammable peanut shells were. LOL

I went to public school, PS 209 and JHS 194 so I dealt with bussing for a long time.

Last edited by laidbackhippie; 04-13-2011 at 08:23 PM..

Old 04-13-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
Ahhh, the Olde Forge. Peanut shells on the floor. I remember wondering how flammable peanut shells were. LOL

I went to public school, PS 209 and JHS 194 so I dealt with bussing for a long time.
Oh from Whitestone...is the old whitestone inn still there?

Old 04-21-2011, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,843 times
Default bayside apartments

a little off topic but...

i'm moving to ny from chicago soon and am looking to rent a studio/1bed apartment/condo in bayside (i prefer to rent from a management company, not from an owner).

from my online research, bayside apparantly has quite few mid-rises but i've only found one rental property: belshire manor. the others seem to be for purchase.

i was wondering if anyone knows other rental properties in bayside besides belshire manor. i will be visiting ny for 3-4 days next month for apartment hunting. i would like to have a few on my list for this visit.

i would greatly appreciate any info you can give me, including insights into belshire manor.

thank you.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:52 AM

97 posts, read 275,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolerstomp View Post
Sorry to break your bubble but asians are what saved bayside. CRIME HAS GONE DOWN and property value has gone up.
You have got to be kidding me. How long have you lived in Bayside?

Old 04-22-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiTiki View Post
Agree!! Bayside wasn't "saved" by Asians because it has always been and continues to be a great neighborhood. Some believe that Flushing (Main St) area was saved by the Asians because it didn't get dangerous like Corona, that may be true But Bayside didn't need saving!!

Old 04-22-2011, 01:26 PM

106,724 posts, read 108,913,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiTiki View Post
28 years in bayside and its still one of the best places in the boroughs

Old 04-23-2011, 08:23 AM

97 posts, read 275,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishiis49 View Post
agree!! Bayside wasn't "saved" by asians because it has always been and continues to be a great neighborhood. Some believe that flushing (main st) area was saved by the asians because it didn't get dangerous like corona, that may be true But bayside didn't need saving!!
agreed!!!!

Old 01-29-2012, 01:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,585 times
I am a Korean American guy who calls Bayside home. Growing up as a Korean kid in Bayside was tough, as I had to face blatant racism. (it makes me laugh when the same racist people criticize, for example Texans, for being so crude and racist). To me, things seemed to have changed for the better, but in some respect, not so much. The problem with your comment, Limelight, is not that it's an inaccurate depiction of reality. It is the innuendo and the sense of cultural superiority--even a hint of racism in your comments-- that are disturbing. Hey, think of Italian and Irish slums in downtown Manhattan back in the day; or the lower east side projects populated by Jewish residents. I do not believe those people were particularly law-abiding citizens in that regard; nor did they seem to have had particular interest in integration. Well, partially because they were pariahs to the mainstream. But the first generation immigrants have definitely formed exclusive ethnic enclaves, keeping others out. Hey, but they did integrate after a generation or two. The same thing is happening with East Asians--except it's harder for us to integrate because of the color of our skin (oh, and also widespread racism against Asians that is generally accepted by our society). Your comments seem to suggest that the problems you have described are unique among Asians. You know what? I'm getting sick of this general pretentiousness. An average ******* won't discriminate against African Americans bc it's such a taboo, whereas racisms against Asians is normal. Hey we're a very small minority and few are vocal. Many seem to take advantage of that to the effect that racism against Asians is so casual. And yet the same people say they aren't racists because they aren't to African Americans. Oh yeah btw, the reason (the reality you have depicted) you see so many illegal activities in Korean enclaves is because it's the poor folks from Korea who immigrate--definitely those who have financial troubles back home; they do not represent the majority of Korean population in Korea. It was the same for Irish and Italians--poor Southern Italians and famished Irish farmers. So don't pretend that this is just an Asian thing. It sickens me. And the fact that you so deviously project your bias does not hide the pretense to such comments. It's pretty obvious where that's coming from. But my question is, what is the root cause of all this? Particularly against Asians? Is it Because we don't fight tooth and nail for our rights? Is it because of North Korea? Or the recently developing Sinophobia? Asian Americans were among the most discriminated yet patriotic Americans for generations. Bet you didn't know about the Nissei (the most decorated regiment in US military history--basically the Gov't detained Japanese Americans who had been Hawaiians for at least two generations, and gave some of them a choice; fight in the worst battlefields of Europe, engaging in near-impossible operations.. Or your family will remain in the Concentration Camp). did we ever complain? How about the Chinese Americans who fought in the Civil War?
Sheesh. Racism pisses me off so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City