Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 10:52 AM

106,724 posts, read 108,913,061 times

Advertisements

We live in bay terrace and love it.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 09:51 PM

6 posts, read 33,482 times
Look in the greek newspaper khrix a lot of vareity apts

Old 04-07-2011, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 3,477 times
I know this off topic but for some reason this site won't let me put up my own post. But speaking of bayside queens isn't queensborough college located there? I'm considering going to queensborough and I live in upper eastside manhattan I'm not familiar with queens at all. Can anyone tell me which is the Convenient way to get there?!? Would appreciate ur replys. Thanks!

Old 04-07-2011, 03:39 PM

589 posts, read 1,221,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelight99 View Post
Bayside used to be gorgeous, and parts of it still are. There are many million dollar homes, and down by Bay Terrace and by the water, there are still some incredible ones. The area was a nice mix of Italians, Jews, Irish and Germans. Great restaurants, local bars and family-owned stores lined Bell Boulevard. Safe area, low crime, pretty good schools...the American dream.

Now, unfortunately, many Asians are moving in from Flushing and taking over. Sure, they are entitled to the American dream too, but they are putting in 10-family dumps where there used to be 1 family quaint houses, and squeezing in illegals in the basement. They are violating building codes like crazy with disregard for everyone.

They open stores, but their signs are all in Korean or Chinese, essentially professing that anyone not in their ethnic group are unwelcome.

It's a shame.

I fear Bayside is at a crossroads. In 5 years, if it continues on its current path, it may look like Flushing. There is already no parking, and street crime is slowly going up. The 111th Precinct is becoming swamped and understaffed. It takes them an hour to respond to a routine call now.

The houses are still way overpriced, and I bet they stay that way, even as the area changes.

I've lived there 15 years, and I'd love to stay there, but I fear it's getting too overcrowded and unwelcoming to families.

For a single guy who works in Manhattan, it's not a bad place, but I'd recommend Manhattan for its nightlife and single's scene way before Bayside.
It's a shame when someone tries to hide their blatant racism against asian's in a ridiculous post about the construction of multiple family dwellings.

Especially when the poster lives in an area (bay terrace) which is filled with multiple 20+ story condo's and multi family houses.

The area is mixed with private enclosed housing, condos, a few single family homes, and a large amount of 2 family homes.

The only areas where I see new buildings going up in Bayside is on northern boulevard where its for commercial use.

Areas by Crocheraun park is still the same and areas down by Fort Totten are still heavily populated with condo's. Maybe this is why there is no parking? The area has been multi family use for a long time?

This poster's version of the American Dream must only consist of "Italians, Jews, Irish and Germans" and this notion of a neighborhood changing to anything beyond what it once was is considered a menace.

In regards to the OP, Bayside is a very nice neighborhood with an easy commute to manhattan via LIRR. However the rent you are paying for a studio is very overpriced.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:52 AM

113 posts, read 318,181 times
^^^ You have valid points in your post. Though I have watched Bayside change through the years and it is not exactly for the better. Is it still a nice place for the most part? Yes.

My pediatrician used to have a practice in Bayside when I was growing up (in the late 70's and 80's) so I am pretty familiar with Bayside. He actually still has his practice there and my nephews currently go to him. On the occassion that I have went with them recently, I have noticed the area is not what it used to be. Much of this is being contributed to the culture change of the neighborhood. This is not stereotyping, but some foreigners (not all) bring with them an attitude that they should not have to adapt to their new neighborhood and that they can just move into a place and do what they have always done. These foreigners don't have to be non-American either, they can be Americans who have become more middle class and have decided to move up.

My mother's neighborhood in Southeast Queens is going through the same changing process. Is it still a nice middle class neighborhood? Yes. But it has gained a lot of foreigners who refuse to adapt to the neighborhood and believe that the neighborhood should adapt to them. This is the wrong idea and leaves many old-timers with a sense of resentment. Now, does prejudice and racism have to do with all this resentment? Yes, some of it. You can ask black Americans how unwelcomed they were in Bayside back in the 70's and 80's.

Last edited by mrtracey; 04-08-2011 at 04:06 AM..

Old 04-08-2011, 08:27 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,250,408 times
Bayside and Bay Terrace are nice, safe areas. I have a unique view since lived in Bayside from 89 to 94 and then again in 07-08. My parents still live in Bay Terrace. It's a great neighborhood, due to cyclical change of ethnicities, many asians are moving in. Particuarily Koreans and Chinese.

Limelight99 has a very particular view about ethnic mix there and very stupid/ignorant one in my opinion . I just hope he makes the same comments about every other ethnic races because he seems to forget that in any area with very heavy population of particular group of ethnic races, usually signs are not in English as they cater and target specifically their own folks.

Like going into area where hispanics heavily populate the town and most of signs are in Spanish. Or area where there's heavy presence of Russians and signs are in Russian...

As for his other points about Bayside 'going down hill' with higher rate of crime and etc. Check the census 2010 and compare to 1990 and 2000. You'll see the significant increase in population for Bayside area. When you have surge of population like that, of course more problems will be associated with it. Lack of parking, greater cost to living due to not enough supply and more demand, more crime because there's more people but precinct isn't reinforced with adjusted number of officers, and let's all face that fact that it's not like NYPD been on hiring rampage for past 10 years to raise their numbers.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:44 PM

106,724 posts, read 108,913,061 times
we live in bay terrace and love the area.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:51 PM

665 posts, read 1,728,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nystudent24 View Post
I know this off topic but for some reason this site won't let me put up my own post. But speaking of bayside queens isn't queensborough college located there? I'm considering going to queensborough and I live in upper eastside manhattan I'm not familiar with queens at all. Can anyone tell me which is the Convenient way to get there?!? Would appreciate ur replys. Thanks!

Take the seven to flushing and then take the thirteen to Bell and Northern then you walk a couple blocks. Have fun !

Old 04-09-2011, 03:36 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,997,686 times
Default drugs = bad info

Wrong information on the Q13. The Q27 stops right in-front of QCC. The Q13 does not go to QCC.

Is this drug consuming hippie purposly giving out bad info or just lost in a cloud of smoke?

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidbackhippie View Post
Take the seven to flushing and then take the thirteen to Bell and Northern then you walk a couple blocks. Have fun !

Old 04-09-2011, 08:35 AM

665 posts, read 1,728,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Wrong information on the Q13. The Q27 stops right in-front of QCC. The Q13 does not go to QCC.

Is this drug consuming hippie purposly giving out bad info or just lost in a cloud of smoke?
This totally idiotic post made me remember why I left New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City