Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 09:55 AM

6 posts, read 111,004 times

Advertisements

Soon, there will be 50 people living in the basement of that ugly building on 39th and 213th, and your house values will plummet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 11:55 AM

151 posts, read 526,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsager45 View Post
Hey, I'm thinking about moving to Bayside, Queens. I'm a 23 year old guy working in Westbury, LI. I chose Bayside because it's 20 minutes to work, and 20 minutes to Penn Station via the LIRR. Plus I hear Bell Blvd has lots of stores, bars, and restaurants. I'm deciding between an apartment on 36th and Bell or an apartment south of the LIRR near Northern Blvd. The prices are more than I expected ($1295 for a studio), but less than Manhattan. So is Bayside a fun, safe, convenient place to live? I know there's no subway, but I hear you can take a bus to Flushing-Main Street and catch the 7 train. I also hear the parks are large and nice. What do you think about living in Bayside? Does it have a NYC feel without the inner-city problems?
Second only to Forest Hills, Bayside is the major Bukharian Jewish nabe in NYC. If you're a Bukharian Jew, you'll feel very comfortable.

If not, then you're gonna be pretty lonely. Queens as a whole has a really residential feel. As un-NYC as you're going to get. Bayside is clean, safe and really, really boring. There's nothing going on and you need a car to get anywhere. There's not even a proper subway in Bayside -- just the LIRR, which is great and takes you right to midtown in like 15 minutes, but can get pricey.

All in all, living in Bayside is nice! But it's basically living in the 'burbs. If you're moving with a family and looking to rent a house, it might be right for you.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:46 PM

One of the reasons for the downfall of a nice area like Bayside is the naive and politically correct attitudes of some of the people here who are quick to cry anytime someone offers a contrary view to their embarrassingly rosy view of the world.

I don't care what nationality it is that ruins the neighborhood (Italian, Jewish, Chines, Hispanic, Korean, etc.) It is not xenophobia, it is reality.

These are the facts: the same developers who bought up and destroyed Flushing, Corona and Jackson Heights are now targeting Bayside and surrounding areas. These are greedy DEVELOPERS who will knock down one and two family homes with nice yards, and overdevelop by building 10-12 family MUDS with no yards or lawns.

Then they rent to illegal (usually Asian) immigrants to make a quick profit and leave. The area they leave behind is not family-friendly anymore. These are not "well-to-do" families with kids who happen to be Asian moving in. Those folks are welcome anytime in Bayside.

However, the area then gets overrun with a lousy quality of life because of the illegal immigrants stuffed into illegally subdivided basements (who don't pay income or property taxes). Parking becomes impossible. The area becomes overdense. Housing values are negatively affected. Crime goes up. Schools get overcrowded. Half the storefront churches they open are fronts for illegal loan activity.

That is fact.

Last edited by Viralmd; 07-23-2008 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: Calling out mod

Old 07-23-2008, 02:07 PM

317 posts, read 1,145,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
If you mean by "exclusive" construction company bosses or owners with a high school diploma, or white collar employeers with no higher educatioin, then Bayside is your place LOL!

Now, however, in recent years, we homeowners here have watched the arrival of people who not only went to college but who went to top schools. They are the newcomers here in my neighborhood, but the oldsters are generally retired or aging blue collar business owners or restaurant owners, etc. Usually ,they are people like you who have prejudices. They are usually the xenophobes. My newer neighbors are gay couples with kids, Ivy educated lawyers, etc. They are people of color with Chinese, Caribbean and Jewish and Irish-American and they are fun and well informed. They actually know what is happening in the world and deplore the anti-Korean or Chinese talk.
Is that directed at me? I said that if everyone in Bayside thinks like Limelight (which is what he/she had indicated), I wouldn't want to live there.

Don't know why you then call me prejudiced. Unless "people like you" refers to someone else.

Old 07-23-2008, 02:18 PM

536 posts, read 2,350,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limelight99 View Post
Soon, there will be 50 people living in the basement of that ugly building on 39th and 213th, and your house values will plummet.
Housing values will only plummet if people who think like you panic and sell in large numbers at the same time. Nothing else will cause that. Going around and exaggerating how neighborhoods will soon be collapsing, like you're doing now, is the perfect way to turn a perfectly fine neighborhood into a slum, and I don't know what your ulterior motive is. Why would you be trying to turn potential neighbors away from Bayside if you're so scared it's going downhill? It doesn't make any sense.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:27 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,525,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysocks View Post
Housing values will only plummet if people who think like you panic and sell in large numbers at the same time. Nothing else will cause that. Going around and exaggerating how neighborhoods will soon be collapsing, like you're doing now, is the perfect way to turn a perfectly fine neighborhood into a slum, and I don't know what your ulterior motive is. Why would you be trying to turn potential neighbors away from Bayside if you're so scared it's going downhill? It doesn't make any sense.
Don't worry about his posts - too many people who live in other boroughs know that Bayside has the top schools, excellent parks, a very low crime rate, a fast commute to Penn Station, easy access to Long Island and Westchester, and a multicultural/racial home owning population that is increasingly well educated and sophisticated. Within the past 10 years, and the last 7 or 8 years, especially, we have had an influx of very well educated professional families moving in. And they are not crowding their homes, unless one considers 2 adults and 2 or 3 kids in a single family house crowded. For this reason, house prices in Bayside have remained more stable than in many other places (although they have gradually, but very slowly, come down. But not by much.)

Old 07-29-2008, 04:06 PM

I'm a she, not a he.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:55 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,880,494 times
I'll post my question here. Can anyone give feedback about the Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament School in Bayside? I heard the school is known for teaching Italian to students as early as pre-K, which is a plus for me. However, I don't know anything about the quality of the school's academic program and learning environment. Thank you in advance.

Old 04-12-2009, 11:20 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,251,782 times
The photo in here, looks like predominately KOREAN signs!

Old 04-13-2009, 07:49 AM

10,180 posts, read 20,808,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
Don't worry about his posts - too many people who live in other boroughs know that Bayside has the top schools, excellent parks, a very low crime rate, a fast commute to Penn Station, easy access to Long Island and Westchester, and a multicultural/racial home owning population that is increasingly well educated and sophisticated. Within the past 10 years, and the last 7 or 8 years, especially, we have had an influx of very well educated professional families moving in. And they are not crowding their homes, unless one considers 2 adults and 2 or 3 kids in a single family house crowded. For this reason, house prices in Bayside have remained more stable than in many other places (although they have gradually, but very slowly, come down. But not by much.)
Really, they are all educated? Did you screen them yourself before they all bought homes in Queens? You seem to show a bias towards a certain demographic, but apparently blue collar whites are uneducated and narrow minded. There are good and bad in ALL ethnicities, but you seem to only see the good that you want to see in immigrants, while seeing the bad in the old working class residents. How do you assume that all of these new residents are highly educated and sophisticated? What qualifies someone as sophisticated? The car they drive, the clothes they wear, the jobs they hold?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City