Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:23 AM

3 posts, read 10,126 times

Advertisements

I am a 2008 teaching fellow who as been assigned to the Bronx. I am living with my boyfriend and friend from college when we all relocate to the city and they both will have jobs in the Mid-town area. I have 2 questions -

1) Where is a good neighborhood that is affordable but also safe for us to live? We ideally would like a 3 bedroom place. My salary and my roommate's salary are going to be pretty descent so we're looking around 1500-2000 a month for rent for the place.

2) anyone know some descent middle and/or high schools in the Bronx? which ones should I stay away from for my safety?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 09:49 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,301,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTeachingFellow08 View Post
I am a 2008 teaching fellow who as been assigned to the Bronx. I am living with my boyfriend and friend from college when we all relocate to the city and they both will have jobs in the Mid-town area. I have 2 questions -

1) Where is a good neighborhood that is affordable but also safe for us to live? We ideally would like a 3 bedroom place. My salary and my roommate's salary are going to be pretty descent so we're looking around 1500-2000 a month for rent for the place.

2) anyone know some descent middle and/or high schools in the Bronx? which ones should I stay away from for my safety?
More info please. Where in the Bronx? It seems like maybe you haven't isolated a school yet. It's a big place and it all depends on which subways you need access to. Although there are a lot of schools that really need the help, there are a lot that are not so great. I don't know the ins and outs of all the Bx public schools but there are plenty of rough ones. We have some Bx people on here who might know more.

Where in Midtown also?

That said, it would be hard to find 3 bedrooms in a safe area for anywhere near $1500-$2000, especially since working in the Bronx could make areas in Brooklyn and Queens pretty far for you. You should figure to approach or surpass $1000 each, particularly if your tolerance for urban sketchiness is low.

The Bronx people might know of safer areas up there that are closer to your range, but in Manhattan or closer-in parts of Brooklyn/Queens you'd be very hard pressed to find a decent place in that range. There are people paying far more for 1-BR in Manhattan.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:32 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,502 times
You should look into Inwood or the Washington Heights area. Both neighborhoods are in Upper Manhattan.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:42 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,238,927 times
Quote:

As far as I know about that program, they usually put you in the most high-need schools, which is probably going to be a school somewhere in the South Bronx. You don't get to choose from what I've gathered.

It won't be easy getting a 3br. You are probably going to have to make some type of arrangement with a 2br. Maybe someone sleeping on a futon, or you and your boyfriend sharing a room. Maybe 10 years ago you might have found a 3br in Wash Heights or Inwood, but it will be pretty hard now.

As for a neighborhood, you'd might want to look at Queens like Jack Heights, or Astoria. But that's gonna probably be a rough commute for you to the Bronx. As a compromise, you might have to settle on someplace Uptown Manhattan, and by that I mean West/Central Harlem, Morn Heights, Wash Heights, and Inwood (if your willing to go that far up).

Old 04-08-2008, 10:47 AM

To clarify some things brought up thus far:

I do get to chose my school it just has to be in the Bronx.

The rent I suggested is what is reasonable in Miami (where we all currently live) we could probably afford more without going broke...that was just a starting point

We would like a 3 BR for the extra space. I will be living with 2 musicians and they tend to have lots of stuff and need space for practicing and all that other stuff. So if an area is known for large spaces a 2 BR would work fine.

Old 04-08-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:

The rent I suggested is what is reasonable in Miami (where we all currently live) we could probably afford more without going broke...that was just a starting point

We would like a 3 BR for the extra space. I will be living with 2 musicians and they tend to have lots of stuff and need space for practicing and all that other stuff. So if an area is known for large spaces a 2 BR would work fine.
If you get to choose then Bronx Science is the best public high school in the Bronx. But I don't know if you'll want to go there. It depends on your personality honestly. Are you looking for less stress or are you looking to make more of a difference and help a school that could really use the help.

I haven't kept up to date but last I knew there were not too many good public high schools in the BX. Most of the better public high schools were or still are in Manhattan or Brooklyn. Maybe that's why they give you a choice.

Middle schools. I'm lost on, can't help you there.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:

Just curious what kind of musicians? NYC is not an easy place to practice. If they are rock musicians, they are going to **** off a lot of neighbors when they practice.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
If you get to choose then Bronx Science is the best public high school in the Bronx. But I don't know if you'll want to go there. It depends on your personality honestly. Are you looking for less stress or are you looking to make more of a difference and help a school that could really use the help.

I haven't kept up to date but last I knew there were not too many good public high schools in the BX. Most of the better public high schools were or still are in Manhattan or Brooklyn. Maybe that's why they give you a choice.

Middle schools. I'm lost on, can't help you there.

I'm looking for a happy medium. I want to help a school that doesn't necessarily get the best teachers and students but one that I am still going to feel safe in and going to and from

Old 04-08-2008, 01:31 PM

274 posts, read 1,108,710 times
The Teaching Fellows program is a scam by the NYC Board of Ed designed to lure poorly trained, high turnover labor into NYC's school system to depress teachers' salaries.

Why pay real teachers a living wage in NYC when you can lure a revolving door full of entry level optimists from elsewhere, who will quit in a year or two, with birdseed for pay?

As far as I'm concerned, Teaching Fellows do more damage because they're scabs:

village voice > nyclife > Class Action: Your Own Personal Blackboard Jungle by Stacy Cowley and Neil deMause

Old 04-08-2008, 03:04 PM

35 posts, read 182,613 times
Quote:
I'm looking for a happy medium. I want to help a school that doesn't necessarily get the best teachers and students but one that I am still going to feel safe in and going to and from
How about DeWitt Clinton? Not sure the train situation around there, but they do have the Macy's Program, which has gifted kids. Truman in Co-op City is in a non-threatening neighborhood. The only issue is getting there, b/c you need to take a bus to Co-op City from the 5 train.

You will probably be able to find an apartment in the 140s, 150s, westside where you will each pay at most a thou or less when you breakdown the rent. Your roomies can then take the D or A train to midtown while you take the D to the Bronx (if the school you're in is in the western part of the Bronx). First things first, though, you need to figure out which school you're in, b/c you want to live closest to the train in Manhattan that gets you to your area of the Bronx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City