Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:17 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,975,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTeachingFellow08 View Post
I am a 2008 teaching fellow who as been assigned to the Bronx. I am living with my boyfriend and friend from college when we all relocate to the city and they both will have jobs in the Mid-town area. I have 2 questions -

1) Where is a good neighborhood that is affordable but also safe for us to live? We ideally would like a 3 bedroom place. My salary and my roommate's salary are going to be pretty descent so we're looking around 1500-2000 a month for rent for the place.
you need a reality check, 1500-2k is in the one bedroom range in much of the city,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 06:18 PM

2,689 posts, read 3,975,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCTeachingFellow08 View Post
I'm looking for a happy medium. I want to help a school that doesn't necessarily get the best teachers and students but one that I am still going to feel safe in and going to and from
you are quite naive, listen to the advice you're being given!

Old 04-08-2008, 07:11 PM

313 posts, read 1,054,291 times
I would make very, very sure that you do get to choose a school. As someone who has been with the DOE for over ten years (since it was the Board of Ed), I can tell you that something that sounds too good to be true probably is. My school has in fact turned away Fellows, and we also got one who had been hired by another school, but was excessed because they had no program for him after he was hired.

Most of the better schools won't have too many openings, because their turnover is low. Also, BloomKlein is slashing money left and right. My school is losing three teachers to retirement in June, and they are not going to be replaced.

For your own sake, make sure they are being honest with you because I have seen differently. Lots of NYC Teaching Fellows keep blogs (I can't recall any names off the top of my head, but they should be easy to find) so that might give you some current inside info. Also, insideschools.org has good objective reviews of many city schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City