Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 03:36 PM

178 posts, read 230,298 times

Advertisements

Hi all, new to this forum. I am from NYC just do not know much about The Bronx. I know that The Bronx is the probably the most affordable borough in the City. I currently rent and am looking to buy a house or Condo. My family needs the space.

I'm looking for an area that's walking distance (< 15min) to subway trains whereas I can reach Midtown in an hour or preferably less.

I am currently looking for areas that my family (Wife and babies) can afford maybe up to $225,000 providing that HOAs are not over $700/ month. We need the space, easy commute to Downtown and Midtown Manhattan and would also like to know of neighborhoods which have Supermarkets, eateries and stores.

I've been in Parkchester many times and they seem to have it all there. Are there any other areas like Parkchester in the Bronx but with a quieter residential feel?

The city has changed over the past 10 years so hopefully those of you who live in the Bronx or frequently spend time in The Bronx can answer this the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 04:14 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allamshield View Post
Hi all, new to this forum. I am from NYC just do not know much about The Bronx. I know that The Bronx is the probably the most affordable borough in the City. I currently rent and am looking to buy a house or Condo. My family needs the space.

I'm looking for an area that's walking distance (< 15min) to subway trains whereas I can reach Midtown in an hour or preferably less.

I am currently looking for areas that my family (Wife and babies) can afford maybe up to $225,000 providing that HOAs are not over $700/ month. We need the space, easy commute to Downtown and Midtown Manhattan and would also like to know of neighborhoods which have Supermarkets, eateries and stores.

I've been in Parkchester many times and they seem to have it all there. Are there any other areas like Parkchester in the Bronx but with a quieter residential feel?

The city has changed over the past 10 years so hopefully those of you who live in the Bronx or frequently spend time in The Bronx can answer this the best.
Pelham Parkway. Both sides of White Plains Road will do and specifically the area close to Bronx Park East/Botanical Garden (before Allerton). It is safe. It is an established, urban neighborhood that has been around for at least a half century. Highly walkable (train is literally five - six minutes away on White Plains Road. On WPR you can also take an express bus that will take you to Midtown/Downtown Manhattan (east side). White Plains Road is a busy retail hub with a variety of stores (clothing, drugs, a supermarket, a health food store, ethnic diner/restaurants) as well as several banks. Off White Plains Road in zip code 10462 you can find several other ethnic eateries.

Most of the housing stock are co-ops, some rental buildings, and a few condo buildings. You should be able to find a nice 2-1 in that price range. The buildings are older and have character, with parquet or herringbone oak floors, thick baseboards and mouldings, high ceilings, and such bygone things as sunken living rooms and separate foyers and large living rooms. The farther you go away from the hub of WPR, the less noisy it is and more residential, that is why I recommend the areas of Waring Avenue, Thwaites Place, Bronx Park East, Bolton Avenue.

As an investment, I don't think you will lose value in this area.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:22 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,071,056 times
You might want to look into my neighborhood,Pelham Parkway.It is a very safe and clean area with a couple of very large shopping areas,East and West side subways,lots of parks (including the Zoo and Botanical Garden),some pretty good schools and is about 35 to 40 minutes from midtown on the subway.It is a very vibrant neighborhood but definitely has a more residential feel than Parkchester because it's not as dense,has houses mixed in with apartment buildings and has a lot of green space.

This is one of the condo buildings around the corner from me.

http://www.trulia.com/property/30902...-10467#photo-2

and another:http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/23...29819192_zpid/

Old 10-30-2013, 04:33 PM

7 posts, read 12,161 times
I agree, I don't live to far from pelham parkway , I'm in that area all the time. It's very nice, safe. The white plains rd 2 and 5 is close by as well as the dyre avenue 5 train. Look into pelham parkway ans the adjacent neighborhoods of pelham gardens and Morris park.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:37 PM

386 posts, read 667,928 times
Another vote for Pelham Parkway right here

Old 10-30-2013, 05:22 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,675,618 times
Bedford Park, Riverdale, Kingsbridge (W of Broadway)

Old 10-31-2013, 06:42 AM

770 posts, read 1,130,849 times
Woodlawn is worth your time, longer commute, but MUCH higher quality of life. Riverdale too.

Old 10-31-2013, 07:48 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster Ave Guy View Post
Woodlawn is worth your time, longer commute, but MUCH higher quality of life. Riverdale too.
I wouldn't recommend Woodlawn or really Riverdale either because of commutes. Also, Woodlawn's housing stock is primarily older buildings with houses here and there -- not really much different from other aforementioned areas but has maybe a higher Irish population. It has ZERO walkability and lacks many shopping options. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice area to live in and has green space. But the lack of shopping/retail, commute, lack of true walkability, and other conveniences discouraged me from purchasing in the area. Riverdale is bucolic, but again the commute time isn't optimal and unless you live next to the major streets, there isn't much walkability. Metro-North, while nice, is more expensive than the subway and the #1 is not nearby. Again, one reason why I didn't buy there. Also, as far as price goes, OP would get a better deal in other Bronx nabes besides Riverdale. At 225,000, you'd probably get a Jr. 4. He would be better served by having at least a 2/1.

Pelham Parkway offers pretty much everything he could ask for in terms of price, quality of life, commute time, amenities, green space and price. IMHO.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:35 AM

770 posts, read 1,130,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I wouldn't recommend Woodlawn or really Riverdale either because of commutes. Also, Woodlawn's housing stock is primarily older buildings with houses here and there -- not really much different from other aforementioned areas but has maybe a higher Irish population. It has ZERO walkability and lacks many shopping options. Don't get me wrong, it is a nice area to live in and has green space. But the lack of shopping/retail, commute, lack of true walkability, and other conveniences discouraged me from purchasing in the area. Riverdale is bucolic, but again the commute time isn't optimal and unless you live next to the major streets, there isn't much walkability. Metro-North, while nice, is more expensive than the subway and the #1 is not nearby. Again, one reason why I didn't buy there. Also, as far as price goes, OP would get a better deal in other Bronx nabes besides Riverdale. At 225,000, you'd probably get a Jr. 4. He would be better served by having at least a 2/1.

Pelham Parkway offers pretty much everything he could ask for in terms of price, quality of life, commute time, amenities, green space and price. IMHO.

Pelham is not a bad option either, and now with a superstar Golf Course not too far away, makes it even better. But Woodlawn is safer. McClean Ave (border of Yonkers) has good shopping.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:56 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,090,990 times
Woodlawn looks like a walkable neighborhood to me. Pleasant residential streets with an active commercial street (Katonah Ave.) running through the middle of the neighborhood. Looks like a shlep to the subway though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City