Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 04:17 PM

178 posts, read 231,536 times

Advertisements

Thanks Bluedog for the links. Also thanks for everyones comments it really helps to just narrow down areas so all comments are much appreciated.

Woodlawn and Riverdale I've traveled too once from what I remember both i had no idea were even part of The Bronx. I thoughr Woodlawn was part of Yonkers or Mount Vernon. Riverdale was really nice, it has a small town feel from what i've noticed a lot of mom and pop shops and elderly people strolling. I do remeber the traveling being pretty far but as NYWriterdude said most people who live in those areas drive. That would possibilty mean 2 cars. (Aint nobody got time for that, lol).

I did state I'm looking into a house or Condo. I didnt necessarily specify Co-Ops because i'm aware of the higher HOA fees and other nuances. Woodlawn looks pretty far up there on the map I must say maybe its a 1 hour commute once u get on a train and it starts moving but i'd have to time it myself during a rush hour and non rush hour. Was looking more so for door to door sorry i didnt specify. .

Riaelise you're on point cause havings banks nearby, supermarkets, and easy access to convience stores, drug stores, is a must for the family. Also schooling will be of an importance to me in a few years.

From what i've read though general consesus thus far regarding my post is Pelham, Pelham Parkway near Bronx Park East, Woodlawn, and Riverdale. Will do some researching.

Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 04:51 PM

9,253 posts, read 24,137,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allamshield View Post
Thanks Bluedog for the links. Also thanks for everyones comments it really helps to just narrow down areas so all comments are much appreciated.

Woodlawn and Riverdale I've traveled too once from what I remember both i had no idea were even part of The Bronx. I thoughr Woodlawn was part of Yonkers or Mount Vernon. Riverdale was really nice, it has a small town feel from what i've noticed a lot of mom and pop shops and elderly people strolling. I do remeber the traveling being pretty far but as NYWriterdude said most people who live in those areas drive. That would possibilty mean 2 cars. (Aint nobody got time for that, lol).

I did state I'm looking into a house or Condo. I didnt necessarily specify Co-Ops because i'm aware of the higher HOA fees and other nuances. Woodlawn looks pretty far up there on the map I must say maybe its a 1 hour commute once u get on a train and it starts moving but i'd have to time it myself during a rush hour and non rush hour. Was looking more so for door to door sorry i didnt specify. .

Riaelise you're on point cause havings banks nearby, supermarkets, and easy access to convience stores, drug stores, is a must for the family. Also schooling will be of an importance to me in a few years.

From what i've read though general consesus thus far regarding my post is Pelham, Pelham Parkway near Bronx Park East, Woodlawn, and Riverdale. Will do some researching.

Thanks all
allamshield,the links I provided earlier are in the area riaelise talks about: bounded by Waring Ave( N),White Plains Rd( E),Pelham Parkway North( S) and Bronx Park East/Botanical Garden to the West. Aso FYI,there is an entrance to The Botanical Garden @ Waring Ave/Bronx Park and there is a nice playground in Bronx Park just South of the Botanical Garden entrance.Also,the neighborhood elementary school ,096 Richard Rogers,is a really good elementary school and is on Waring Ave between Barker and Olinville Avenues.

I live in this same area but in one of the many co op buildings.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=2275+...ux-4zqB3w&z=19

http://goo.gl/maps/91eQj

http://goo.gl/maps/uWXLZ

The area is predominantly co op and condo buildings and has a very active community association.

Last edited by bluedog2; 10-31-2013 at 05:30 PM..

Old 10-31-2013, 05:16 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,373,503 times
This may sound ridiculous, but the area around 138th and lincoln is getting a bit better.

I work on Bruckner BLVD & they're a couple nice/clean looking buildings in the area.

I've walked from Bruckner to the 6 train at all times of the day & night and never had any issues.

May be a bit scary for a single female since it's isolated, but would be perfect for a single male.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
What do you like to do? I lived in the Bronx for over 30 years. I lived in Woodlawn and Riverdale. Riverdale is more of a white collar area. Buildings offer more amenities such as swimming pools, doormen, concierge services, grocery stores and dry cleaners in SOME buildings. Also depending on where in Riverdale you live the views are in top 2.
Woodlawn is a strong irish enclave, the borders being the highway (87), East 233rd street (Woodlawn Cemetery), Webster Ave ( Metro North railroad), and McClean Ave which is actually Yonkers. There is about 45 bars within a mile radius in the area. Which is good and bad. I don't know your social habits and what you like to do. Deli's, diners, banks and usual stores along Kathonah Ave. Nice parks along Van Cortland Ave. Both of the above areas are safe and probably in top 3 safest within the Bronx.
Pelham Pkwy. Another ethnic area like Woodlawn. newest immigrants being Albanians. They seem to have made Lydig Ave their stronghold in NYC. Ton of stores under the IRT Line. Very nice private homes and coop apt buildings. Going to be very honest never really knew the area to be a hotbed for nightlife. Once again that could be good or bad.
All three areas are nice areas in the Bronx. Woodlawn and Riverdale offers the Metro North railroad which would be about a 20 minute ride into Grand Central. Pelham Pkwy has the subway system. All three areas have express bus service into Manhattan. Goodluck.
I like to be close to the City because everything i do for the most part is in Manhattan. I work in Manhattan, hang out with friends, eat at restaurants so pretty much my family would prefer to be in Manhattan but costs are keeping me out. I'd probably look into Pelham Parkway before Riverdale and Woodlawn so that i can at least be closer to my other relatives. I have a friend who lived in Co-Op city and he would hardly go out because he complained of the transportation taking a long time after a night on the town. Express bus services don't run as often as MTA so thats pretty much work and home commuting use.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:55 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,079,507 times
Quote:
I like to be close to the City because everything i do for the most part is in Manhattan. I work in Manhattan, hang out with friends, eat at restaurants so pretty much my family would prefer to be in Manhattan but costs are keeping me out. I'd probably look into Pelham Parkway before Riverdale and Woodlawn so that i can at least be closer to my other relatives. I have a friend who lived in Co-Op city and he would hardly go out because he complained of the transportation taking a long time after a night on the town. Express bus services don't run as often as MTA so thats pretty much work and home commuting use.
Well, you could do the metro north from Woodlawn or Riverdale and that would get you into Grand Central within 20 minutes or so. That's if you want to spend the extra money on that. If not, Pelham might be fine. There are certainly far worse areas in the Bronx (South Bronx, Edenwald, the 2 train by Gun Hill Road).

Just repeatedly check the areas out yourself to see what you think and you'll make the decision you need to.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:02 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,646,624 times
Woodlawn is a nice community, but not great transportation and hasn't had a supermarket for a long time now. I do find it walkable though - the hills are very pretty and would get you in good shape.

I'm in Bedford Park which has 2 subway lines and a Metro North, and is close to the NYBG and walkable to the zoo. Pelham Parkway as others mentioned, is a great option, and I also really like Van Cortlandt Village.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:36 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,699,705 times
Quote:
Yes, Woodlawn is what's considered the 2 fare zone. 16 or 34 bus to the IRT 4 line. Riverdale has more express bus options but has the slooooooow 1 line on Broadway. Like I said before all thee areas have a different niche to offer. I like Riverdale myself but because of the actual building I was in with the amenities. Either way goodluck.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:14 PM

12,339 posts, read 26,198,681 times
The NY Times has 'Living In' columns that might be helpful:

Woodlawn http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/24/re...pagewanted=all
Pelham Parkway http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/17/re...pagewanted=all
Bedford Park http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/29/re...anted=all&_r=0
Riverdale http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/24/re...pagewanted=all

Old 11-21-2013, 03:17 PM

Thanks henna those are a bit dated though.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:23 PM

13,449 posts, read 15,556,590 times
Quote:
Thanks henna those are a bit dated though.
Maybe. But they're still pretty accurate. Some neighborhoods really don't change all that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City