Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 03:34 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,713,141 times

Advertisements

Maybe Jerome Ave from 198th up, Villa and Valentine Ave are a little run down compared to Pelham Pkwy but even Lydig Ave nr WP Rd is kind of the same way. BP is smaller than PP. BP is covered by the 52nd pct which i think has a higher crime rate than PP's 49th pct
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 04:00 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,096,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
I recently returned to Bedford Park. (I grew up there, left in the 70's, and moved back recently.) I'm not sure I agree that BP is more hood than Pelham Parkway. Depends on where on Pelham Parkway. It's a pretty long road and goes through several neighborhoods. I walk around BP and always feel safe. South of Bedford Park Blvd. (it used to be called East 200th Street!), there is supposed to be more crime but not sure how it stacks up against Pelham Pkwy. I think the transportation is much better in Bedford Park.
The 49th precinct(Pelham Parkway) has the lowest crime rate in The Bronx.It also was just recently rated the cleanest area in the city and has one of the biggest shopping areas in The Bronx with over 100 stores ,banks,gyms,restaurants,etc. It has better transportation than BP because there is an East Side and a West Side subway,an Express Bus to midtown via 5 th Ave, 2 busses to Westchester,the bx12 select bus and direct entrances off of PP onto 2 Parkways ,2 Bridges to Queens and I -95.Numerous other major local bus routes also go through.Pelham Parkway might actually be the busiest transportation hub in The Bronx.

Last edited by bluedog2; 11-24-2013 at 04:09 PM..

Old 11-24-2013, 04:19 PM

and its got the Montefiore Medical Park which is really cool and helps me with my cancer issues!! I feel as safe walking around there as I do in Riverdale

Old 11-24-2013, 06:59 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,636,599 times
Bedford Park and Pelham Parkway have a different look and feel. They both have Art Deco apartment buildings and a lot of trees, but the houses were generally constructed in different time periods, so they look quite different (I believe the brick houses in PP and much of the East Bronx generally date from the '50s, while BP has more Victorians). Some parts of Pelham Parkway feel quite suburban, but Bedford Park, although it often feels very sleepy, is quite dense overall. Also, the topography of the Bronx changes at the Bronx River, BP is quite hilly like Upper Manhattan, while the East Bronx is quite flat. Both areas have great access to open space, PP is higher income and probably has lower overall crime rate, although Bedford Park is definitely the best part of the 52nd precinct, and according to SuperMario, had a murder rate in 2012 comparable to the Cayman Islands.

The New York World Homicide Map

I do think the transportation is faster in BP - subways to east and west side of Manhattan, Metro North, express buses, yada yada...

Old 11-25-2013, 07:31 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,692,755 times
http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs049pct.pdf, http://www.nyc.gov/html/nypd/downloa...s/cs050pct.pdf Not sure if the 49th is safer than the 50. The 5-0 also covers kingsbridge heights which is where most of the crime occurs. One minute they cover bailey Ave then the next minute the can be on leafy Fieldston or Pallisade Ave.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:47 AM

actually the 50 goes all the way over to University/Webb/Claflin nr W 195th and 197th street--i think there's more crime there than on Bailey

Old 11-25-2013, 11:33 AM

37,237 posts, read 39,519,313 times
So, Bedford Park and Norwood are also decent places to look for the OP?

Old 11-25-2013, 04:19 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,636,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Well, the OP was looking for a house or condo for $225,00, somewhere with easy access to midtown, like Parkchester but quieter.

Unfortunately, I have no idea about how loud Parkchester is and I don't know if these areas even have condos, so the OP would have to do more research. Bedford Park is quieter than Norwood generally, but I'm sure parts of PP would win out on quiet (some areas have many single-family houses). Pelham Parkway is such a large area, that I find discussing it kind of confusing - the eastern/western portions of PP seem very different in density. I can't imagine finding a house for $225,000 anywhere unfortunately.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It depends on a lot of variables. Is the OP single? Family minded? How important are amenities such as a Gym, Restaurant, Bars, Bakery, Delis, Supermarkets, Banks, and Parks? I would suggest anyone to thoroughly compare the both areas.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
actually the 50 goes all the way over to University/Webb/Claflin nr W 195th and 197th street--i think there's more crime there than on Bailey
I'm not sure but you get my drift. Honestly, The same discussion could be had with regards to the 49th Pct. How much crime is long Allerton Ave and Burke Ave compared to Neil and Morris Park Ave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City