Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 07:54 AM

5 posts, read 7,353 times

Advertisements

Hi all.

My husband and I will be moving to NYC in April of next year. I've been looking into places to live and need some help with estimating commute times. I am in Food and Beverage and will (most likely) be working in Manhattan. My husband will be working in the Throggs Neck area of the Bronx (near SUNY-Maritime).

We would prefer to live in the UES or UWS but are worried about his commute time. We are also considering Riverdale. Does anyone have any "real life" estimates of what a drive time would be from these areas to Throggs Neck? He would be driving, of course, as it doesn't appear that public transit isn't too prevalent in Throggs Neck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 08:50 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,817,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apureflame14 View Post
Hi all.

My husband and I will be moving to NYC in April of next year. I've been looking into places to live and need some help with estimating commute times. I am in Food and Beverage and will (most likely) be working in Manhattan. My husband will be working in the Throggs Neck area of the Bronx (near SUNY-Maritime).

We would prefer to live in the UES or UWS but are worried about his commute time. We are also considering Riverdale. Does anyone have any "real life" estimates of what a drive time would be from these areas to Throggs Neck? He would be driving, of course, as it doesn't appear that public transit isn't too prevalent in Throggs Neck.

Commute time isn't really the issue!

The cost of living in Manhattan, in addition to the cost and inconvenience of keeping a car in Manhattan. Car payment, insurance, parkiing, gas, tolls.

Have you looked into these costs? For the average person the cost and/or incoenience is prohibative!!!

So, can you afford to keep a car? If not then yiu need a full rethink!!

Old 11-26-2012, 08:53 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,917,703 times
Driving without traffic from the UES/UWS to TN is 15-20 minutes, depending on where you're starting and where you're ending up. What kind of hours will your husband be working? That will affect the estimates for with traffic. IMO, you're better off with the UES if you choose to go the Manhattan route....there's a lot more traffic on the West Side from the GWB, and at more random hours.

Riverdale can actually take longer than Manhattan, because you either need to cut all the way across the Bronx, or go through Westchester.

If you can tell me where in TN he will be working, I can tell you if it is accessible via public transport. You are right though, a car is almost a necessity there. (I grew up there, and mom still lives there.)

Old 11-26-2012, 10:02 AM

5 posts, read 7,353 times
@LizfromtheBronx, he will be at SUNY-Maritime during normal school hours M-Th roughly 8am-5pm [one day 6am, one day stay until 7pm]. Not there on Fridays.

@jcoltrane, we have looked into those costs as far as the car is concerned, thank you!

Old 11-26-2012, 11:03 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,416,920 times
When evaluating the commute from Riverdale, do not factor the Cross Bronx Expressway as it is a horrible road that is perpetually congested and has the GWB traffic problems that compound issues, seemingly at all times of the day and night. The commute wold likely be very similar in terms of time from the UES or Riverdale, about 30 minutes, realistically. However, this depends upon the time of day and route, as it can be a pain to get back to Manhattan at times in the evening. With Riverdale, you could always take the Hutchinson Parkway to Pelham Parkway to Mosholu Parkway, avoiding the slowdowns on the Hutch in Westchester and on the Cross Westchester to get to Riverdale via Westchester. Pelham Parkway has lights, but the traffic is not generally stopped, which is the same with Mosholu. Do not take Pelham Parkway to Fordham Road, however, as that road is perpetually congested.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-26-2012, 11:20 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,917,703 times
Quote:
@LizfromtheBronx, he will be at SUNY-Maritime during normal school hours M-Th roughly 8am-5pm [one day 6am, one day stay until 7pm]. Not there on Fridays.
Then I would definitely recommend UES or Riverdale.

You're pretty much doing a reverse commute from the UES...might be a bit slow at times getting home, but shouldn't hit anything on the way to work unless there's a major incident. From lowest point of UES (60's), it shouldn't take hubby more than 25 minutes to get to work in the AM (tip, he should get off Randall Ave exit and take local streets to Maritime rather than going all the way to bridge, and avoid any TN Bridge traffic that way).

My mother commuted from Throggs Neck to Riverdale for 28 years and hated it. She went a variety of different ways, all of which stunk. I'd still recommend going through Westchester rather than any of the ways across the Bronx (up Deegan or Henry Hudson to Cross County to Hutch to I-95 to I-695), but it's a much less predictable commute, and most likely longer.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:53 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,416,920 times
The Cross Westchester merge with the Hutch and the Saw Mill is the sticking point in the afternoon to get back to Riverdale. It's almost always backed up during regular rush hours, though nowhere near as bad as the Cross Bronx. The FDR when it is slow is slow from the 90s to the 60s mostly, in the afternoon. And, there have been afternoons when it has taken me as long to drive from Northern Westchester as it has from the 90s due to a problem on the FDR, though in rain, that road floods, too, so the delays can be bad. The Saw Mill where it meets the Cross Westchester also floods, but only in very heavy rain. Traffic for his commute is a given, unless you lived locally, but that would hamper the Manhattan commute, which is much easier from Riverdale.

Honestly, it would come down to lifestyle and what you want in a neighborhood. If you want a quieter neighborhood with a bit more value for the money, larger rooms and an extra bedroom at a similar price point, then I'd recommend Riverdale. If you want more density, then I'd recommend the UES. Both are fine areas, and it would really come down to preference as the commute would average out to be similar.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 11-27-2012, 01:28 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,170,312 times
Have you considered other Bronx neighborhoods?

The area near Pelham Parkway 2 train station? you can commute via subway to the West side of Manhattan, and an easy drive into Throgs Neck.

If you work on the East Side consider Norwood/Bedford Park due to 4 train access. Or a bit longer I believe, the last stops along the 6 train near Pelham Bay. Though I believe the train runs express through the Bronx during rush hour.

Pretty solid neighborhoods. Considerable options.

Old 11-27-2012, 06:10 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,678,288 times
Quote:
Hi all.

Public Transportation:
1. Bx40, 42 to Westchester Square, followed by 6 Train to Manhattan. Takes a bit over an hour.
2. BxM9, Throggs Neck to midtown, about an hour.

Driving: Cross Bronx to Bruckner west, and then take 138th/Willis Avenue Bridge (save your money from the tolls on the Triborough/RFK) to FDR. About 30 minutes with no traffic.

Old 11-27-2012, 11:15 AM

340 posts, read 1,186,205 times
Why not just live in throggs neck? Commuting from throggs neck to riverdale will make u want to shoot urself in the head. riverdale is stuck in the lonely corner like its on time out.

Ur husband will have a 5 minute commute to work and u can take an express bus to manhattan which is a much nicer cleaner ride than the train. riverdale is the worst place on earth and its location sucks too if u want to go anywhere other than the west side of manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: