Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2015, 05:15 AM

271 posts, read 455,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjenyc View Post
I likely won't be called until 2018 or 2019 and don't have my CDL. I know they're making changes to the test to make it harder. Does it make sense to just go through the process now or should I just wait? I don't plan on working any other job that requires a CDL in the meantime.
Wait till the new restrictions come into play.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:08 AM

779 posts, read 1,005,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dun View Post
what exactly is the change with the new cdl? anybody know?
Don't quote me on this...

I just started the process, currently studying for the permits..

The intructor guy said the changes won't be coming too soon, the city wants to build closed off course for people to take the road test and grade it based on how people perform on a city circuit. That being said, the instructor was like "city needs space to build these courses, and theres no space in the city, so it'll take some time for the real changes to take effect"

So, that the CDL right now guys, why wait?

Old 12-02-2015, 07:46 AM
dun

193 posts, read 226,586 times
thanks george. from readin that the "new" cdl u posted sounds exactly like the "old" one with a few minor additions

Old 12-02-2015, 10:33 AM

712 posts, read 1,208,514 times
Quote:
thanks george. from readin that the "new" cdl u posted sounds exactly like the "old" one with a few minor additions
Exactly That Will take place next year

Old 12-02-2015, 02:02 PM

118 posts, read 158,713 times
Way more extensive pre trip with under hood/engine inspection ..must know and point out various parts in the engine bay .. if you can't lift the hood or the cab ... guess what you fail. Then a manuvering section including backing into a simulated cargo bay .. and other manuvering. . Fail on that part .. guess what test over .. u fail.. then onto on street driving ..

Someone working at FBF went to new Jersey to observe how they do it and put it this way .. the test takes an hour and a half .. but they schedule people every 30 min .. so that's how many people they expect to fail before they even start the truck .... go get that **** now .. it's nerve racking enough as it is...

Old 12-02-2015, 03:16 PM
dun

193 posts, read 226,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannagethired View Post
Way more extensive pre trip with under hood/engine inspection ..must know and point out various parts in the engine bay .. if you can't lift the hood or the cab ... guess what you fail. Then a manuvering section including backing into a simulated cargo bay .. and other manuvering. . Fail on that part .. guess what test over .. u fail.. then onto on street driving ..

Someone working at FBF went to new Jersey to observe how they do it and put it this way .. the test takes an hour and a half .. but they schedule people every 30 min .. so that's how many people they expect to fail before they even start the truck .... go get that **** now .. it's nerve racking enough as it is...
i already have my class a, just need to add tanker so i aint worried i was just asking

if you cant point out simple common sense areas of the engine bay guess what -> u dont deserve your cdl. if you cant lift the hood or cab -> u should be smacked and dont deserve cdl. if you cant back up into a cargo bay how are you supposed to empty the truck at the dump -> again, dont deserve cdl. im glad they're making it harder. it should weed out people who dont deserve to be on the road. they should do the same for regular license and motorcycle license. so many morons on the road its not even funny

Old 12-02-2015, 04:13 PM

442 posts, read 813,944 times
"Hold on for a sec. Let me just lower this plow jack thing. OK. Now let me find a bar to jack the cab up so I can inspect the engine bay."

Old 12-03-2015, 03:20 AM

118 posts, read 158,713 times
Quote:
i already have my class a, just need to add tanker so i aint worried i was just asking

if you cant point out simple common sense areas of the engine bay guess what -> u dont deserve your cdl. if you cant lift the hood or cab -> u should be smacked and dont deserve cdl. if you cant back up into a cargo bay how are you supposed to empty the truck at the dump -> again, dont deserve cdl. im glad they're making it harder. it should weed out people who dont deserve to be on the road. they should do the same for regular license and motorcycle license. so many morons on the road its not even funny
I'm not disagreeing with the changes at all .. should be hard .. but the process is stressful to begin. I was just stating information.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:49 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,224,806 times
You guys without CDLs are all f*cked. Better get it while you can, guys fail now at a pretty good clip. I can just imagine how most of you pencil pushers are going to do with the new test. You nancyboy desk jockeys that can't even master a stapler are going to sh*t the bed guaranteed. Don't wait...

Old 12-03-2015, 12:40 PM

271 posts, read 455,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY...DirtyStayOut View Post
You guys without CDLs are all f*cked. Better get it while you can, guys fail now at a pretty good clip. I can just imagine how most of you pencil pushers are going to do with the new test. You nancyboy desk jockeys that can't even master a stapler are going to sh*t the bed guaranteed. Don't wait...
Cmon you're slacking! You're supposed to tell all the prospects to wait to get their Cdl!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City