Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2015, 01:05 PM

779 posts, read 1,005,295 times

Advertisements

These study books should only be used to get an idea of the exam and a concept of how city exams are given. 50% of exams are concept and the other 50% is common sense/logic thinking.

You have to re-read the instruction 3 times before even approaching the question. In the back of your mind you have to think to yourself, "city is looking for employees who won't be a liability".

You have to take a few exams to figure this out, I think I've taken clerical/admin exams that were more difficult than the officers and dsny exams.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:05 PM

7 posts, read 7,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NycLaidBack View Post
These study books should only be used to get an idea of the exam and a concept of how city exams are given. 50% of exams are concept and the other 50% is common sense/logic thinking.

You have to re-read the instruction 3 times before even approaching the question. In the back of your mind you have to think to yourself, "city is looking for employees who won't be a liability".

You have to take a few exams to figure this out, I think I've taken clerical/admin exams that were more difficult than the officers and dsny exams.
You're right about that but in my opinion I feel there's just thousands more taking these city exams than there was years ago. A score in the 90s back in the days would've gave you a better shot at the job,now if its not 100 your chances are slim. I've heard it all my life from everyone "go to college,get a degree..etc" now look at it, a lot of people with an associate's, bachelor's and even a master's degree can't find work and are flocking to these jobs. Nothing against them cause we all deserve a shot but like I said blue collar jobs is where its at now.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:42 PM
dun

193 posts, read 226,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttime1988 View Post
You're right about that but in my opinion I feel there's just thousands more taking these city exams than there was years ago. A score in the 90s back in the days would've gave you a better shot at the job,now if its not 100 your chances are slim. I've heard it all my life from everyone "go to college,get a degree..etc" now look at it, a lot of people with an associate's, bachelor's and even a master's degree can't find work and are flocking to these jobs. Nothing against them cause we all deserve a shot but like I said blue collar jobs is where its at now.
the bonus with the city jobs is they take people off the streets. in 99% of construction labor unions unless u have a hook your application is guaranteed bottom of the pile no matter what qualifications/experience you have its basically impossible to get on. its good that they take care of their own but ****d up cuz they dont give anybody else a chance. ive got welding/fabricating/fitting experience up the ******* on all positions/metals but no union wants apart of me. meanwhile next door neighbors kids best friends dad (hope that makes sense lol) is a boilermaker and got the neighbors son in with no problem. kid made 70k in 6months and didnt even know the difference between steel and aluminum. he came knocking on my door after his first week so id teach him the basics at least. told me hes gonna put a good word in for me but i know im more likely to fck a mermaid then get on.

anyways sorry for the rant. im lookin forward to this job. it should be a nice shift from the non-union bs i deal with now. list # in the mid 400s so hopefully i get on first class and got ppl beat out the gate that is if i pass chest/back xrays. worried about that. (goodluck to all you detectives out there...i legally changed my name since 6063 haha!) and "nexttime" u should be taking other city tests. if not im sure youll take the next sanman test in a couple of years and get a perfect score. good luck!

Old 11-30-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dun View Post
the bonus with the city jobs is they take people off the streets. in 99% of construction labor unions unless u have a hook your application is guaranteed bottom of the pile no matter what qualifications/experience you have its basically impossible to get on. its good that they take care of their own but ****d up cuz they dont give anybody else a chance. ive got welding/fabricating/fitting experience up the ******* on all positions/metals but no union wants apart of me. meanwhile next door neighbors kids best friends dad (hope that makes sense lol) is a boilermaker and got the neighbors son in with no problem. kid made 70k in 6months and didnt even know the difference between steel and aluminum. he came knocking on my door after his first week so id teach him the basics at least. told me hes gonna put a good word in for me but i know im more likely to fck a mermaid then get on.

anyways sorry for the rant. im lookin forward to this job. it should be a nice shift from the non-union bs i deal with now. list # in the mid 400s so hopefully i get on first class and got ppl beat out the gate that is if i pass chest/back xrays. worried about that. (goodluck to all you detectives out there...i legally changed my name since 6063 haha!) and "nexttime" u should be taking other city tests. if not im sure youll take the next sanman test in a couple of years and get a perfect score. good luck!
Lol trust me I know how the construction unions go, you either get lucky,come from a program(like a pre-apprenticeship) or know someone. Even when those applications come out people are lined around the block or if the applications are given online it shuts down within minutes. I can see why u were mad but look at your opportunity now,while that same kid u helped maybe be laid off in the future cause u know how construction goes,you'll be working thru out the year. Thanks for the words of encouragement and good luck to you too bro.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:22 PM

47 posts, read 75,194 times
I likely won't be called until 2018 or 2019 and don't have my CDL. I know they're making changes to the test to make it harder. Does it make sense to just go through the process now or should I just wait? I don't plan on working any other job that requires a CDL in the meantime.

Old 12-01-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjenyc View Post
I likely won't be called until 2018 or 2019 and don't have my CDL. I know they're making changes to the test to make it harder. Does it make sense to just go through the process now or should I just wait? I don't plan on working any other job that requires a CDL in the meantime.

If you have the time and money you might as well, you never know if you might want a career change or if you'll be called earlier from your list number. 2018 or 2019 seems far away but we're already about to be in 2016.

Old 12-01-2015, 07:51 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,396,297 times
Nah wait till it's harder and lesson prices go up

Old 12-01-2015, 08:34 PM
dun

193 posts, read 226,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOL AGAIN View Post
Nah wait till it's harder and lesson prices go up
what exactly is the change with the new cdl? anybody know?

Old 12-01-2015, 11:50 PM

712 posts, read 1,208,442 times
ED977A14-BC38-47FD-BDD5-43E3459B5ADD.png_zps9hygxueg.jpeg Photo by usmcgeorgee | Photobucket

Old 12-01-2015, 11:51 PM

712 posts, read 1,208,442 times
Default here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dun View Post
what exactly is the change with the new cdl? anybody know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.