Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 11:45 AM

25 posts, read 53,275 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am moving to Astoria the first week of April. The second weekend I am there, my brother is coming on a work trip and staying through the weekend with me. Hoping for some advice on fun bars to go to in the area (as I don't know anything about it!).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 02:23 PM

912 posts, read 2,101,072 times
What part of astoria it's huge

Old 03-17-2013, 05:19 PM

43,717 posts, read 44,480,109 times
I believe there is a German-style beer garden in Astoria. Perhaps you can google it for more information.

Old 03-17-2013, 05:32 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,552,023 times
bohemian beer garden

fabulous in the summer

Old 03-17-2013, 06:46 PM

877 posts, read 2,014,139 times
There's a lot of lounges in Astoria, but those are mostly for the guido types.
Bohemian and Studio Square are definitely musts in the summer.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:52 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,692,210 times

Not Italian but can you imagine saying something disparaging about another race on this forum? BTW I'm glad the lounges cater to the original people of Astoria. I understand it's gotten a ton of transplants but good to see that some Greeks are staying put.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:29 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,910,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOReverxpeace View Post
Bohemian and Studio Square are definitely musts in the summer.
I wouldn't recommend studio sq. It attracts a lot of the types you mention.

The bohemian beer garden is cool. I like their draft variety of beers (this place is czech btw). Pilsner Urquell is my favorite. I suggest accompanying a cold one with grilled kielbasa.

Avoid Cavo on 31 ave too. Might be just me, but Flashy people and expensive drinks are not my thing.

Astoria's night life is OK, not great.
There are very few bars with live music. Mostly located on Broadway.

30ave has a lot of European styled cafes. Cool for having a few beers with friends but no what I'd call a vibrant night life.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:33 AM

393 posts, read 783,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I wouldn't recommend studio sq. It attracts a lot of the types you mention.

The bohemian beer garden is cool. I like their draft variety of beers (this place is czech btw). Pilsner Urquell is my favorite. I suggest accompanying a cold one with grilled kielbasa.

Avoid Cavo on 31 ave too. Might be just me, but Flashy people and expensive drinks are not my thing.

Astoria's night life is OK, not great.
There are very few bars with live music. Mostly located on Broadway.

30ave has a lot of European styled cafes. Cool for having a few beers with friends but no what I'd call a vibrant night life.

I disagree...well, it depends on how you define vibrant nightlife. There are no clubs, no, but there is plenty of everything else, and the bars in Astoria get packed.

I remember you posted about an apartment in Astoria, glad it all went well!

Anyway, I forget..what area are you in roughly? And what type of bars do you like?

I agree with the Bohemian beer garden as a general recommendation, but april might be a little early depending on the weather. It's best when it's warm out and you can hang out outside..it gets really packed. Bohemian is old school and historic while Studio Sq. (the other big beer garden here) is more young/trendy/douchey. I don't like its lcation either...it's a little out of the way. From what I remember, you were closer to the park maybe? You'd probably be closer to Bohemian anyways.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:35 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,257,592 times
Don Coqui is restaurant/lounge. Never been there but i've heard good things about it.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:36 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,257,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
I disagree...well, it depends on how you define vibrant nightlife. There are no clubs, no, but there is plenty of everything else, and the bars in Astoria get packed.

I remember you posted about an apartment in Astoria, glad it all went well!

Anyway, I forget..what area are you in roughly? And what type of bars do you like?

I agree with the Bohemian beer garden as a general recommendation, but april might be a little early depending on the weather. It's best when it's warm out and you can hang out outside..it gets really packed. Bohemian is old school and historic while Studio Sq. (the other big beer garden here) is more young/trendy/douchey. I don't like its lcation either...it's a little out of the way. From what I remember, you were closer to the park maybe? You'd probably be closer to Bohemian anyways.
Yeah a lot of my friends love Studio Square. I think it's just okay but most of them are Queens people and love it. The cool thing about Studio Square is that it's easy to accomodate a big group there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City