Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 12:02 PM

10 posts, read 18,212 times

Advertisements

Quick background:

Male in mid-30s with a job offer near NYPL, making ~$70k. Looking for (preferably) a 1-bedroom with a commute not much longer than 30 minutes and as direct as possible. Would like to get out of Manhattan at the end of the day and just go home and relax, so would Astoria be one of the, if not the, best bet. I'm open to suggestions for similar neighborhoods. I'm looking to keep rent around $1500 and don't really care if I'm not in the thick of the action. I prefer safe, quiet (by NYC standards), and new-ish construction. I don't mind older buildings as long as everything works. Just trying to get a feel for what my options may be before I make my way up there to check it out. I appreciate any feedback/suggestions.

Last edited by bwc73; 06-03-2012 at 12:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 12:09 PM

171 posts, read 305,183 times
Astoria would certainly fit most if not all of that criteria.
or LIC, anything near a 7 stop would be a straight shot to GC and a quick walk to the library.
its a beautiful area, we did some major scouting there last weekend and fell in love but we both spend a lot of time in the LES/EV so not super convenient for us.
it really is a great area.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:20 PM

Thank you for the quick reply. Is there a certain part of Astoria I would want to focus my search? Are some areas noticeably nicer/safer than others?

Old 06-03-2012, 12:20 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
You might also consider Sunnyside, on the North side of Queens Blvd. My favorite area in Sunnyside is on Skillman Ave between about 42nd St. and 47th St. You could check it out on google maps. You'd be fairly nearby the 40th or 46th St. stops on the 7 train, which would both bring you into Grand Central and/or 5th Ave very quickly. I am not sure if the rents differ much from Astoria, so I guess you have to just decide which area you like better.

Neither neighborhood it strong on new construction, although Astoria does have more than Sunnyside. However, you generally have to have more than $1500 for an apartment in a new construction building.

Quaint - Sunnyside - Sunnyside, NY

Old 06-03-2012, 12:28 PM

Good to know. Thanks, Henna! I would just want to come home to an apartment where everything is fairly reliable and in working order. I'll have to check out Sunnyside.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:54 AM

What would be considered the "ideal" part of Astoria to search for apartments? Near Astoria Park/Ditmars? Closer to Broadway?

Old 06-04-2012, 09:26 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwc73 View Post
What would be considered the "ideal" part of Astoria to search for apartments? Near Astoria Park/Ditmars? Closer to Broadway?
I think it depends on what you like.

The area closer to Astoria Park tends to be more quiet and have a better housing stock but the commute is a bit longer.

The area around 30ave has a lot of restaurants, bar and commerce. The commute to midtown is great, but it's somewhat more expensive than other parts of Astoria.

Either way I suggest you take a walk around the neighborhood and see for yourself what areas you like the most.

I think anywhere east of 21st is quite OK.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:08 PM

5,208 posts, read 4,667,902 times
Do you have to be in NYC? How about some of the commuter towns in NJ like Hackensack, Teaneck, FT Lee etc? You will save on NYC taxes and you may potentially find much newer apartment buildings. You can take an express bus to work which comes into Port Authority and from there, walk to 42nd and 6th.

*edit* Sorry, I just realized my suggestion doesn't give you an under 30 minute commute.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:10 PM

988 posts, read 3,254,266 times
LIC has newer housing stock but a newer 1 BD would run at least $2,200 there unless you find a desperate subletter.

Old 06-07-2012, 01:21 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I have family in NJ and they hate the commute into the city and I'd like to have a commute on the shorter side. I know my rent range will limit my possibilities, but as long as it's fairly quiet and in good working order, I'm good. I don't really need the bar scene, so I guess the tamer the better. I'll probably stick around Manhattan after work for my entertainment needs and simply go home to relax and be a homebody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City