Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 02:07 PM

4 posts, read 11,918 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm starting work in a little over a month and am currently torn between living in Manhattan (probably UES) or saving some rent and living in Astoria. I'm gonna be living with a roommate so we're looking for a 2BR. Here's my deal:

Salary: 55k
Student Loan Monthly Payment: roughly $500/month
Target Rent/utility payment: $1000/month

We were originally gonna stay strictly in Astoria but rent prices have tumbled so far that I'm finding 2BR places in Manhattan (most seem to be in upper east side) for under $2000, some include all utilities.

My dilemma is this: My roommate is going to be making the same salary but doesn't have a student loan payment, thus can afford more rent than I can. Because of this he really wants to stay in Manhattan.

If anyone can offer some suggestions or thoughts I'd appreciate it. How much more will groceries and other similar expenses cost in the upper east side?? Gym memberships? I'm assuming 40% taken out for taxes/healthcare etc, is this too high?

Thanks in advance for your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 02:48 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,942,365 times
I would be very surprised if those UES 2 bedroom places are NOT bait-and switch.

Old 07-20-2009, 02:49 PM

127 posts, read 282,843 times
astoria is cheaper

Old 07-20-2009, 05:33 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
I'm with Viralmd on this one...wait until you actually see the alleged 2BR apartment before you start making neighborhood commitments. You're either going to be very old/not renovated, very far east, and walk-up for that price on the UES. Also, be sure it's the UES, as in below 96th, since some East Harlem apartments are advertisied as the UES to lure renters.

You could feasibly keep a gym anywhere in the city, even in Astoria if it's inexpensive, since you can get there in a few minutes on the subway from parts of the UES. That's a way to cut costs if you cannot find a comparable price for a membership on the UES. It's a hassle, but if it's a large increase in expense, it could work. Groceries will be a bit more, due to the higher real estate costs, but again, you can go to places around the city and plan to save money on groceries. I think that you could make it work out.

And, if your roommate can pay more, then give them the larger bedroom and they can pay a bit extra, that should make things equal.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I would be very surprised if those UES 2 bedroom places are NOT bait-and switch.

I'll be viewing them all day tomorrow so I'll let you know. You could very well be right.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I just returned from my day of apartment hunting and walked away with a TRUE 2 bedroom on 87th between 3rd and Lex. A block from the subway and the place is GREAT! 3rd floor in a walkup with 2 bedrooms, family room, completely separate kitchen and one bathroom all for only $1895/month!

I guess I have the recession to thank for this. I'm thrilled with the place. The tenants are still in it so we were able to see it fully furnished, which helped. One bedroom has a Queen bed, dresser, fairly large desk, and closet. The other bedroom is smaller, it has a full bed, dresser, and closet. I am going to take the smaller room for a slight reduction in my rent and my roommate will pay a little more, this way I stay well within my budget!

Old 07-26-2009, 03:59 PM

28 posts, read 145,437 times
congrats, what the approximate sq. footage on your find? I only ask because I'm trying to get an idea of whats available for that price in Manhattan since I'm looking too.

Old 07-27-2009, 08:25 AM

508 posts, read 2,119,746 times
Congrats. That is a great price and location since you're so close to the train. Good job!

Old 07-27-2009, 10:50 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
Congrats. There are quite a few out there now, thanks to the recession, in both the UES and UWS/Morningside Heights areas. They are also close to trains, in buildings with elevators.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:19 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,522,142 times
Astoria has a nice location, unfortunately if you check the threads and EPA data it is the most polluted part of NYC, and has higher incidence of lung disease asthma than other areas. This is sad as most other things about Astoria seem nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City