Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 11:17 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,914,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptnyc View Post
I disagree...well, it depends on how you define vibrant nightlife. There are no clubs, no, but there is plenty of everything else, and the bars in Astoria get packed.

I remember you posted about an apartment in Astoria, glad it all went well!

Anyway, I forget..what area are you in roughly? And what type of bars do you like?

I agree with the Bohemian beer garden as a general recommendation, but april might be a little early depending on the weather. It's best when it's warm out and you can hang out outside..it gets really packed. Bohemian is old school and historic while Studio Sq. (the other big beer garden here) is more young/trendy/douchey. I don't like its lcation either...it's a little out of the way. From what I remember, you were closer to the park maybe? You'd probably be closer to Bohemian anyways.

I think we can both agree that Astoria has probably the best nightlife in Queens. But when I think of 'vibrant nightlife' I picture places like the LES with tons of bars, one next to the other, many of them with live performing artists of very good quality.
When was the last time you saw a band like the Ramones or the strokes performing in Astoria when nobody knew who they were?!
Anyway, I wouldn't like to LIVE per se in a neighborhood with a 'vibrant nightlife'; way too noisy. That's why I like Astoria. It's much more mellow and you still got a good amount of bars, restaurants and lounges to visit.
I just wish they had more live bands around.

And I'm actually much closer to studio sq than to the bohemian beer garden, yet I still make the trek up since the atmosphere at that place is more of my liking. But I agree with you, is all about what one likes.

Ultimately, Astoria has fairly good entertainment options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2013, 12:51 PM

37,294 posts, read 39,614,796 times
There are quite a few hookah bars over on Steinway if that's your thing.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:54 PM

223 posts, read 616,890 times
There's about 4 - 5 Irish pubs around Broadway & 31st St. (some north; some south of B'way). Also, you have Break Bar & Billiards on Broadway too. Good mix of people with some great players. Sweet Afton on 34th near 30th Ave. which is kind of hipsterish. And I don't know if they still have it, but Brick would have live bands on Wednesdays.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:08 PM

877 posts, read 2,015,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
There's a lot of lounges in Astoria, but those are mostly for the guido types.

Not Italian but can you imagine saying something disparaging about another race on this forum? BTW I'm glad the lounges cater to the original people of Astoria. I understand it's gotten a ton of transplants but good to see that some Greeks are staying put.
Nothing disparaging. What do you have to say about "Jersey Shore"?

Old 03-19-2013, 06:23 AM

25,410 posts, read 37,165,786 times
Quote:
There's a lot of lounges in Astoria, but those are mostly for the guido types.

Not Italian but can you imagine saying something disparaging about another race on this forum? BTW I'm glad the lounges cater to the original people of Astoria. I understand it's gotten a ton of transplants but good to see that some Greeks are staying put.

Perhaps there are some gay bars that cater to "Greek."

Old 03-19-2013, 07:38 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,695,435 times
For, I have nothing to say about the Jersey Shore show because I wouldn't waste my time with stupidity. Let me guess you watch the kardashians and other stupid reality shows? What if a poster wrote there are some bars along a street but they cater to wet backs? Or that bar caters to donkey's?

Old 03-19-2013, 07:55 AM

25,410 posts, read 37,165,786 times
Would it please Norwood if the "Guido types" were referred to as "heavily muscled loud Italian men of low IQ who drink too much and get boisterous" and the women to whom they appeal?
Seems clumsy wording to me.
And I doubt it is a kinder way to describe the phenomenon

"Guido Bar" says clearly what it means.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:19 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,695,435 times
I guess it would be ok to say towel head bomb making hookah smoking bar. I get it.

Old 03-19-2013, 07:21 PM

877 posts, read 2,015,489 times
Quote:
For, I have nothing to say about the Jersey Shore show because I wouldn't waste my time with stupidity. Let me guess you watch the kardashians and other stupid reality shows? What if a poster wrote there are some bars along a street but they cater to wet backs? Or that bar caters to donkey's?
There's your mistake. Never watched the Kardashians in my life. No one said certain bars only allow certain people. My point is the attraction and the crowds you'll see at certain places. Don't tell me you don't notice these things.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:02 PM

25 posts, read 53,313 times
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! The exact part of the neighborhood I am in is on 31st avenue, between 23rd street and Crescent.

I have a pretty broad spectrum of bars that I enjoy, depends on the mood! Definitely not looking for "club" type places, but lounges with good music and good (reasonably priced) drinks. Live music is always fun too. I also enjoy a good pub. Like I said, not picky . Just want a fun crowd/atmosphere.

I have heard great things about the beer gardens, but assuming this is more of a summer thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City