Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 06:30 AM

43,733 posts, read 44,495,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Last night the LIE and the Sunrise highway were CLOSED. But some people are just TOO IMPORTANT to stay home so they hit the roads and got stiuck all over both highways and must now be rescued at taxpayer expense. How very very sad.

A tank should drive by and shoot everyone in the head who is sitting behind the wheel of these cars. The world would be a better place without these self "IMPORTANT" people.
The LIE and the Sunrise Highway are still closed this morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 06:33 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,368,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Last night the LIE and the Sunrise highway were CLOSED. But some people are just TOO IMPORTANT to stay home so they hit the roads and got stiuck all over both highways and must now be rescued at taxpayer expense. How very very sad.

A tank should drive by and shoot everyone in the head who is sitting behind the wheel of these cars. The world would be a better place without these self "IMPORTANT" people.

I had to go to work last night and I work in the health care field. So there I went...

I usually drive but I did not because I would have never gotten a spot upon my return. Not only that but I did not want to be stuck at work, digging my car out. When I left work, it was after midnight and the storm was really going at that point. There is also very little public transportation running that takes me where I need to go. It is not very safe where I work either---very desolate. And I am lucky that I live SOMEWHAT close to where I work---I actually went out of my way to walk in the opposite direction in an attempt to catch a bus (which did not happen) and only could take the train 1-2 stops. Then I had a very, very long walk home. They don't want people to drive but the walk home was very difficult (obviously no one is shoveling after 1 AM and most streets hadn't even been plowed where I live) and I had no direct public transportation to get there.

I can understand why some people drive. Some of us had to go to work. It's nice the trains are running but a lot of the buses don't run at all after 1:00-1:30 AM.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:51 AM

Some points from Mayor Bloomberg's briefing on the winter storm this morning:

NYC was lucky as it didn't get as much snow as other areas. NYC is prepared to help in those areas if needed.

22000 pieces of equipment are plowing and salting. All streets have been plowed at least once. But it is preferable not to drive if not necessary.

NYPD has been checking on families that don't have heat because of Sandy.

There is no recycling or garbage pick-ups today.

All alternate side parking rules are suspended today.

Last edited by Chava61; 02-09-2013 at 07:05 AM..

Old 02-09-2013, 07:00 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,938,819 times
It would be a tough call to make when you know the lives of others depend on you .Many of our Search and Rescue call outs were in the worst conditions ,naturally.
So you kind of anticipate it after a while .
Remember to bring extra food and water and blanket or small tarp, or military poncho, for shelter if necessary .
POwer bars store well and Gatorade may not freeze right away.
When I lived in the mountains , I had a sheet of shrink wrap plastic I covered the cab of my truck with jaming it into the door lock to hold it on , and it served me well bothe for removing the snow accumultion from the vehicle and keeping in the heat during the nite .
My old truck had thick oil so I kept a portable light, perminantly mounted inside the engine area to keep the block warm to some degree and the rough service bulb would last all winter .
The cab would be relatively nice inside too.
The nice thing about a light is , though the tarp went to the ground around the front of the truck you could still see from insid the house, that the light was on, if you remembered to plug it in when you got home.
It worked better than the heated dip stick .

Old 02-09-2013, 07:23 AM

106 posts, read 184,065 times
My video this morning:

BY QUEENSNY121

Winter Storm Nemo - YouTube

Old 02-09-2013, 07:51 AM

650 posts, read 702,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Some points from Mayor Bloomberg's briefing on the winter storm this morning:

NYC was lucky as it didn't get as much snow as other areas. NYC is prepared to help in those areas if needed.

22000 pieces of equipment are plowing and salting. All streets have been plowed at least once. But it is preferable not to drive if not necessary.

NYPD has been checking on families that don't have heat because of Sandy.

There is no recycling or garbage pick-ups today.

All alternate side parking rules are suspended today.
No garbage pick ups anyday.

Bloomberg must go.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:29 AM

NBC just reported that service on the Hudson & Harlem Metro North lines will resume at 11 AM.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:10 AM

11,201 posts, read 9,101,563 times
why is there so much cocaine in the streets of NYC??

Old 02-09-2013, 09:32 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,596,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
NBC just reported that service on the Hudson & Harlem Metro North lines will resume at 11 AM.
wasn't so bad

Old 02-09-2013, 10:21 AM

CBS news just reported that total snow in Central Park was 11.4 inches and the Bronx had the highest amount of snowfall within NYC at 15 inches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City