Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2010, 02:00 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,708,397 times

Advertisements

I was asked to go to jury duty tomorrow(big storm predicted) and to show up at 10:30. if I am getting a delay on public transit (I always leave very early anyway) do you think others will be experiencing the same thing? I have no problem with public transit but I've never used it in a storm train/bus for jury duty so all of a sudden i'm antsy about it

does anyone know at what point will the Bx 9 bus not be able to make it up the steep hill on W Kingsbridge Rd? Do you think the D or the 4 will be running? maybe i will take the 1 train to the 6 bus to avoid the hill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 02:52 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,708,397 times
Default finished but...

May an employer require an employee to take vacation or other paid leave while serving?
No. It is an illegal penalty to force an employee to charge jury duty absence against vacation, personal or sick time. However, an employee may choose paid leave over losing wages. An employer who penalizes an employee for service as a juror by forcing the juror to use paid leave may be prosecuted by the Office of the Attorney General and subjected to criminal penalties.

**this is from the NY juror handbook.

I served a total of 10 days, my employer is supposed to pay the first 3 days but I am not sure what the situation will be for the other 7 days. The law says they are not supposed to force you into using vacation, personal, sick time and that the employee may choose paid leave as opposed to losing wages. How would one use paid leave, there is only unpaid or family leave i believe. Does anyone know how this works? Has anyone been thru this before? I think i am the only one at my office who served so much time--all the other employees only served 2 days so they're not familiar with this

I left my time sheet blank (Sunday is a workday for me) on Sunday and asked the accounting office(who were not there Sunday) to assist me with filling in the jury svce days because I had no idea what to indicate for the days i was serving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City