Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 12:30 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,059 times

Advertisements

Has to be my area too, East Flatbush.

No one smiles around here, or greet each other unless they know them. The old women around here look like they're back in slavery days. Too many ghetto hoodrat type guys/gals. The men gossip just as must as the women probably even more, they're so envious of others they have to find something to knock 'em down.

O'k, you may not like what I have to say next but this is my view, since this is mostly a large Haitian community I think those practicing voodoo effects the neighborhood by bringing bad spirits around. I use my building as an example. This building is unusually quiet and it's an anomally to here sounds of joy coming from anyone's apartment otherwise someone will complain. Around Thanksgiving and Christmas it was good to hear laughter coming from an apartment which sounded like a group of friends enjoying each other. That's rare coming from this building and I can betcha at least one complained. This building could have been the storyline for the show 666.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 07:47 PM

34 posts, read 150,287 times
My grandmother lives in University Heights. The neighborhoods so depressing and her building looks like a prison. If not to be living or visiting someone there, there's no reason to be around really.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:53 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,470,908 times
I thoroughly disagree about Wakefield. It has a vibrant West Indian population, high percentage of hard working homeowners, and the "cool things" are only an express bus/#2 train away. 241st street does have crime, but to slam an entire section of the borough due to your experience in one spot is preposterous. As far as good eateries are concerned, Wakefield probably has arguably some of the best West Indian/East Indian food I've ever eaten. Those gypsy cabs are a part of borough life...as ubiquitous as the yellow cabs in Manhattan. It's clear from your post that you are probably a transplant or a suburban who had to slum it in the Bronx. Just because Whites aren't the majority in an area doesn't mean that the area lacks anything.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:04 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,807,642 times
6 herkimer court, brooklyn, nyc, ny - Google Maps

Old 01-17-2013, 10:07 PM

190 posts, read 684,104 times
Red Hook gets my vote. Desolate-looking, grimy, no real subway access, and split off from the rest of BK by an elevated highway. Even though they tried to make it another Williamsburg, it just hasn't seemed to generate enough appeal, other than getting an IKEA.

Old 01-17-2013, 10:18 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,042,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garonick View Post
Try Ocean Ave all the way down even into Ave Z.
I've seen all of Ocean Ave, and I didn't find it particularly depressing. What about it do you find so depressing? I seem to remember most of it looking nice.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:55 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
any area where the hasiddic jews live is depressing beyond belief.

blech !!!
yeah the lowest crime rates in the city are really depressing.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:34 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
yeah the lowest crime rates in the city are really depressing.
Nightcrawler is right.
And we're not talking necessarily about crime here

I lived in Boro park for 1yr and 2 months into my lease, I couldn't wait to GTFO of there.
It's ugly, dirty as hell, and from friday to saturday night it's a lifeless ghost town.

Boro park is an anomaly in NYC. Very depressing, indeed.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:52 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,555,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Nightcrawler is right.
And we're not talking necessarily about crime here

I lived in Boro park for 1yr and 2 months into my lease, I couldn't wait to GTFO of there.
I wonder if it had something to do your biased opinion of the primary people who live there.
PS there are other areas with Hasidim besides Borough Park

Quote:
It's ugly
If you Think Borough Park is ugly what do you think of all of Robert Moses projects. With out a doubt the ugliest areas in the city are where ever you see those Red Buildings

Quote:
dirty as hell
I can name tons of areas much more dirty (Chinatown for example)

I also guess you think no Graffiti makes for a ugly neighborhood

Quote:
and from friday to saturday night it's a lifeless ghost town.
were you ever in lower Manhattan at around Midnight.
Wall street is also a ghost town on the weekends

Quote:
Boro park is an anomaly in NYC. Very depressing, indeed.
PS the most expensive block in Brooklyn is a Orthodox Jewish area (that is also a lifeless ghost town from friday to saturday night )
The Most Expensive Blocks in Brooklyn - PropertyShark Real Estate Blog

Old 01-19-2013, 05:16 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,214,376 times
This is one of the times I agree with likeminas. However I will fully admit that part of my disdain for the neighborhood are the people. A shady, unfriendly type of folk who definitely don't want you around.

Btw I'll say the same (well similar) type of thing about living in an all PR neighborhood lol. I don't care if you think that makes me "racist" or whatever. People tend to want to live around their own kind. That's how it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City