Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:20 AM

2,664 posts, read 5,644,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Can't afford NYC. That's what's real son.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
Says someone from the most depressing-run down state in the country. The strip malls and polluted swamps are awaiting.
y u mad at me, ya kno its the truth, take a look at other cities in the country or even other countries if u already havent and ull see the difference
and yea nj's urban areas are jus as bad or worse, i aint gon front
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 08:32 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,070,041 times
West Farms. Anybody see Vyse avenue by Boston road? It's sad really.

http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1C1S...ed=0CC4Q8gEwAA

Go down vyse avenue. Vacant lots, graffiti, and loitering at all hours.

Bronx, Ny ish happens.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:37 PM

38 posts, read 63,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
West Farms. Anybody see Vyse avenue by Boston road? It's sad really.

vyse and boston road - Google Maps

Go down vyse avenue. Vacant lots, graffiti, and loitering at all hours.

Bronx, Ny ish happens.
Got a couple of friends who live around here and this is a bike route I take to get to 149th and the Hub from Williamsbridge Rd/East Tremont.

in terms of depressing?

Riverdale.

Total isolation and an unwelcoming atmosphere.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:24 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,307,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatFightSexSleep View Post
Got a couple of friends who live around here and this is a bike route I take to get to 149th and the Hub from Williamsbridge Rd/East Tremont.

in terms of depressing?

Riverdale.

Total isolation and an unwelcoming atmosphere.
Unwelcoming in what way? It's only unwelcoming if you don't live here (as in you're not familiar with the atmosphere) or come here to start trouble. It's a tight knit community where most of us know each other, so if you're an outsider you'll usually stick out. If you lived here you'd understand how things work. People are a bit more reserved until they get to know you. As you said it's isolated so people usually only come here if they live here or know someone who lives here. Otherwise, I don't see why anyone would come here since it's rather out of the way.

Last edited by Grosvenor; 04-29-2013 at 01:32 PM..

Old 04-30-2013, 10:05 AM

38 posts, read 63,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Unwelcoming in what way? It's only unwelcoming if you don't live here (as in you're not familiar with the atmosphere) or come here to start trouble. It's a tight knit community where most of us know each other, so if you're an outsider you'll usually stick out. If you lived here you'd understand how things work. People are a bit more reserved until they get to know you. As you said it's isolated so people usually only come here if they live here or know someone who lives here. Otherwise, I don't see why anyone would come here since it's rather out of the way.
Tight knit is pretty much unwelcoming as it gets. I dormed at Manhattan College as an RA so I was in the area, and in the mornings I use to walk to Mount Saint Vincent to take my nutrition exam...I never seen so many people walk outside their doors to check what I was doing walking through the streets as if I'm not allow to step foot on the sidewalks to get to 260th and Riverdale Ave.

It's just a truly arrogant attitude that turns me off.

Like I have no proof for it, but I feel like most people in Riverdale are racist. Can I prove that? No, but I feel it. Economic segregation and it's snobby attitude can suck it.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Tight knit is pretty much unwelcoming as it gets. I dormed at Manhattan College as an RA so I was in the area, and in the mornings I use to walk to Mount Saint Vincent to take my nutrition exam...I never seen so many people walk outside their doors to check what I was doing walking through the streets as if I'm not allow to step foot on the sidewalks to get to 260th and Riverdale Ave.

Like I have no proof for it, but I feel like most people in Riverdale are racist. Can I prove that? No, but I feel it. Economic segregation and it's snobby attitude can suck it.
As was previously stated, we're a tight knit community, but also an isolated one and from time to time, we do have outsiders that for whatever reason roam about here. In other words, they just come here to walk around and lurk literally, so quite frankly I can understand them being leery and suspicious. I've seen people come here and they just stand in front of stores or banks watching as if they are looking for prey. It is certainly not normal around here especially and indeed a bit odd to say the least. Anywhere else in NYC that I've been if people are standing around in front of banks or other stores it's because they're either looking to rob someone or looking to panhandle.

While the area is very safe, car break-ins and home invasions do occur and they are usually not from people within Riverdale. The area is a target because of its wealth and if residents aren't familiar with your face they will naturally look because people generally don't just come here because of its isolation.

That's the thing that is strange... There is really nothing here to draw people here in terms of any real shopping (the bare necessities are here, but that is it). There are not that many bars and certainly no nightlife, so because of that and its isolation, looks will always be given to unfamiliar faces because they don't understand why anyone would be interested in coming here because it is a pain to get to and there's really nothing to see.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:32 PM

25,410 posts, read 37,165,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
any area where the hasiddic jews live is depressing beyond belief.

blech !!!

I agree, religious neighborhoods arre always appallingly oppressive and miserably depressing.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:36 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,695,435 times
Quote:

I can see how Fieldston road and Pallisade ave can be depressing especially looking at the Hudson River

Old 05-02-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
I can see how Fieldston road and Pallisade ave can be depressing especially looking at the Hudson River
Some people find the neighborhood depressing because of the amount of nursing homes and the lack of bars, but I have never heard the area called depressing because of accusations of racism which the OP says he can't prove. That is a new one for me.

Old 05-04-2013, 01:10 PM

52 posts, read 58,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass_o_matic 76 View Post
Times Square is beyond depressing

Nothing but wall to wall advertising on giant television screens.
Feels like being trapped in the big screen TV department at Best Buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City