Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 01:43 PM

4,321 posts, read 4,221,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Some people find the neighborhood depressing because of the amount of nursing homes and the lack of bars, but I have never heard the area called depressing because of accusations of racism which the OP says he can't prove. That is a new one for me.
What's depressing is very subjective. Although for me Riverdale is not depressing, I can understand that it might be depressing to someone else. So that post made sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 02:08 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,600,155 times
the Fashion District of manhattan is generally depressing. in looks and vibe. not sure why. jmho. some parts there are so fugly (ironic, considering it's the fashion district) they're most definitely depressing to be around

Old 05-06-2013, 12:09 AM

782 posts, read 861,667 times
East New York....the stretch on Linden near New Lots. Half industrial, half run down homes and chop shops. It lives up to its reputation.

Borough Park, I would agree, is also very depressing...especially the heart of it 13th-16th ave, 55th st to 36st. I feel impossibly unwelcome there.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:32 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,339,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funcrusher3000 View Post
East New York....the stretch on Linden near New Lots. Half industrial, half run down homes and chop shops. It lives up to its reputation.

Borough Park, I would agree, is also very depressing...especially the heart of it 13th-16th ave, 55th st to 36st. I feel impossibly unwelcome there.
Also further east on Linden past Eldert Lane by the Brooklyn/Queens border right before you hit the Conduit. The roads are barely even paved.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:45 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,274,339 times
Far rockaway, east new york, and brownsville.

/thread

Old 05-07-2013, 10:49 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,423,572 times
anywhere where all the snobs live is very depressing.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:54 AM

127 posts, read 183,955 times
Ugliness to me comes from people's attitudes and actions. Like when a couple of young people trash a pretty new apartment building on their second day there by inviting 50 of their friends over to dance on the roof to a DJ, slop around in a kiddie swimming pool of Pabst, and trash the halls until they look like a building that should be razed. (This happened in our building, which has always been a "family building on a family block," so the tenants are banding together to take action.) Or when someone who doesn't care about his neighborhood takes all his trash and throws it around the front yard. Or when someone drops food or trash while eating out and about, or on the train. Or when someone decided to be rude because they learned NY'ers are rude from some guidebook from 1993, and so he treats the guy at the deli like crap, and then gets angry when the deli guy remembers me and my husband by name, but pretends not to know Mr. No-Manners.

You can find this kind of ugliness anywhere. It can infest any pocket of beauty in NYC, and people who do it aren't well liked. It can spoil a beautiful moment in the prettiest patch of springtime sun in Ditmas Park or Astoria, but the true beauty of NYC, in any neighborhood, on any train, in most any establishment, is that there's always a friendly face around the corner.

But there is also something depressing about the various pockets of Midtown and Downtown Manhattan that boast a Starbucks, Duane Reade/Walgreen's, and America Apparel everywhere. You have to work harder to find shops and restaurants that are locally owned, longtime staples of the city than I remember having to on my many trips to NYC before I moved here for work. Sadly, this is not just NYC...this is all of America. It's happening in Philly, Atlanta, San Francisco and LA, and it's even happening across the Midwest. It seems more pronounced and therefore depressing here because we are the largest city in the country, and one of the largest in the world, and NYC has always been unique in that you could experience literally any culture or experience you cared to with little effort.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:30 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,307,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetFedora View Post
Ugliness to me comes from people's attitudes and actions. Like when a couple of young people trash a pretty new apartment building on their second day there by inviting 50 of their friends over to dance on the roof to a DJ, slop around in a kiddie swimming pool of Pabst, and trash the halls until they look like a building that should be razed. (This happened in our building, which has always been a "family building on a family block," so the tenants are banding together to take action.) Or when someone who doesn't care about his neighborhood takes all his trash and throws it around the front yard. Or when someone drops food or trash while eating out and about, or on the train. Or when someone decided to be rude because they learned NY'ers are rude from some guidebook from 1993, and so he treats the guy at the deli like crap, and then gets angry when the deli guy remembers me and my husband by name, but pretends not to know Mr. No-Manners.

You can find this kind of ugliness anywhere. It can infest any pocket of beauty in NYC, and people who do it aren't well liked. It can spoil a beautiful moment in the prettiest patch of springtime sun in Ditmas Park or Astoria, but the true beauty of NYC, in any neighborhood, on any train, in most any establishment, is that there's always a friendly face around the corner.

But there is also something depressing about the various pockets of Midtown and Downtown Manhattan that boast a Starbucks, Duane Reade/Walgreen's, and America Apparel everywhere. You have to work harder to find shops and restaurants that are locally owned, longtime staples of the city than I remember having to on my many trips to NYC before I moved here for work. Sadly, this is not just NYC...this is all of America. It's happening in Philly, Atlanta, San Francisco and LA, and it's even happening across the Midwest. It seems more pronounced and therefore depressing here because we are the largest city in the country, and one of the largest in the world, and NYC has always been unique in that you could experience literally any culture or experience you cared to with little effort.
It's happening globally in fact with the multi-national chains all about.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:38 AM

199 posts, read 1,108,074 times
I wouldn't consider most ghetto areas to be depressing.

They tend to be much more lively and vivid than the more affluent suburban-like locations (which tend to be very drab, dull, dead, boring and depressing).

I would say that the industrial area near Liberty Avenue in Jamaica is the most depressing. Its just ugh!

Old 05-07-2013, 09:33 PM

782 posts, read 861,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Also further east on Linden past Eldert Lane by the Brooklyn/Queens border right before you hit the Conduit. The roads are barely even paved.
Yes, absolutely that part too.

I once hit a pothole just outside of Resorts World and blew two tires....by the time the tpm in my car went off and I realized what happened, I was rolling down Linden by Fountain Ave. Had to leave my car overnight and try to figure out the best way to get back to Bay Ridge. This was all around 2am. Worst experience ever lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City