Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2014, 06:32 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,903,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
You don't visit the Bronx to often? North East Bronx is where you find afro Guyanese who love amongst African Americans and afro West Indians. Castle Hill has a sizeable but yet declining indo population. Often at times you might see Guyanese who live amongst Hispanic areas like mainly Dominican West Bronx West of the Grand concourse or on diverse Pelham Parkway area.

Guyanese have an interesting history with the Spanish Caribbean. During world War 2 plenty of Puerto Rican were in Guyana then a British colony. US helped Britain protect the colony and sent thousands of Puerto Rican to establish military bases. Most notably Guyana main airport used to be a US airbase stationed by Puerto Ricans. My supervisor his uncle during world War 2 but was stationed in Guyana. Plenty of Puerto Ricans slept with Guyanese women and no doubt fathered kids for these women.

Later on Ideals of the Cuban Revolution spreader to Guyana. Guyana has a very close relationship with Cuba to this very day. I'm in Guyana right now. Most of its TV stations and American programming are from Puerto Rico. Can Guyanese relate with Hispanics? Culturally no but they are some similarities like in foods like ground provisions and flora and fauna. Me I look Hispanic, grew up amongst Hispanics so I relate better with Hispanics of PR, Cuba and Dr heritage than I do with Indo or afro Guyanese. Another thing is religion. If your Guyanese and Catholic you might might interact with Hispanics more more often than say a black who is Protestant, or an Indian Guyanese who is Hindu or Muslim. But I have always observed Guyanese in the Bronx to be different than does of Queens and Brooklyn. Even though Queens and Brooklyn are more diverse than the Bronx, ethnic neighborhoods tend to be segregated compared to the Bronx were people have to integrate.
Portuguese Guyanese and Dutch Guyanese and Spanish Guyanese and Irish Guyanese ethnic & cultural descendants have a lot in common with Puerto Ricans, Venezuelans, Brazilians, Haitians, & other Hispanic & Latin American groups!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 08:14 PM

Good little special on Guyanese Americans. Very interesting:

Guyana Americans Documentary - YouTube

Old 09-22-2014, 01:48 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,545,840 times
Weird. I feel East Indians have assimilated far more in America than any other newly arrived group. So many first and second generation Indian Americans have intermarried with other cultures. Everyone is indifferent to it. It seems pretty normal to us. My uncle and 3 cousins have married black women. Two other cousins have married Italian and Spanish men.

I always assumed guyanese would easily intermarry, but reading this thread it seems very little.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:43 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Weird. I feel East Indians have assimilated far more in America than any other newly arrived group. So many first and second generation Indian Americans have intermarried with other cultures. Everyone is indifferent to it. It seems pretty normal to us. My uncle and 3 cousins have married black women. Two other cousins have married Italian and Spanish men.

I always assumed guyanese would easily intermarry, but reading this thread it seems very little.
Indian Guyanese are more westernized than Indians from India. As for marrying outside their culture it depends. Most of my family and their off Springs do not marry within Guyanese. A first generation Guyanese may marry within the Guyanese sphere but 2nd generation would break off and marry outside their culture race. Even though not married, 95‰ of my cousins who are first generation Guyanese Americans fathered or birthed kids for either Hispanic, afro American or Anglo Caribbean men and women. Even me for example has yet to be with a Guyanese woman or A Guyanese American woman. I mainly do good with Latina or ethnic white women. Also in Guyana plenty of Guyanese marry and date outside their race groups. I wouldn't be hear if my ancestors did not intermix with one another. Most likely I would father Children for a woman of non guyanese heritage, same could also be said for marriage.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:43 AM

302 posts, read 308,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post

Which Guyanese are you talking about ?Black or East Indian? Because both groups in America have intermarried with non-Guyanese here in America and have tied the knot with Americans from all kinds of backgrounds. And both groups in Guyana have intermarried with other groups, Brazilians,Amerindians,Chinese etc.

Take a look at some of these sites(this one ,that one and this here) and you will see Guyanese from different backgrounds partying together to get a little idea.

Last edited by PrizeWinner; 09-22-2014 at 04:54 AM..

Old 09-24-2014, 01:49 AM

Guyanese often build restaraunts and shops too. They cook and serve very delicious food. Gotta love roti and cassava pone, and cook up rice eh! Exquisitely delicious!

Old 09-24-2014, 04:43 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,530,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobreTodo View Post
Portuguese Guyanese and Dutch Guyanese and Spanish Guyanese and Irish Guyanese ethnic & cultural descendants have a lot in common with Puerto Ricans, Venezuelans, Brazilians, Haitians, & other Hispanic & Latin American groups!

Where do you dig up this information/ Dutch Guyanese dont exist, and Spanish Guyanese never existed. Portuguese Guyanese have no more ties to Brazilians than do other Guyanese. They dont speak Portuguese and dont identify with Brazilians any more than do other Guyanese.

People who live in bordering areas, and who are mainly AMERINDIAN, have cultural influences from these neighboring countries.

There is now a growing Brazilian population, but I doubt that they seek out thye now miniscule Portuguese descended populations.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Where do you dig up this information/ Dutch Guyanese dont exist, and Spanish Guyanese never existed. Portuguese Guyanese have no more ties to Brazilians than do other Guyanese. They dont speak Portuguese and dont identify with Brazilians any more than do other Guyanese.

People who live in bordering areas, and who are mainly AMERINDIAN, have cultural influences from these neighboring countries.

There is now a growing Brazilian population, but I doubt that they seek out thye now miniscule Portuguese descended populations.
Potuguese Guyanese have always had ties with other Lusophone territories like Cape Verde, Maideia island ,and from Portugal itself. Many of the Portuguese Guyanese were from Brazil itself so some did have ties, many of the Portuguese-Guyanese listen to Brazilian Samba. Some Portuguese Guyanese did indeed speak Portguese I knew a 2nd Generation Guyanese-American girl who was speaking it with her mother.

Bucks(Amerindians)and people mixed with Amerindians(black,Indian,and whites) have always traveled back and forth to Venezuela and many Ameirndians have picked up Spanish influences with food and customs.
In this video below you can see the Amerindians and half white Amerindians taking on the same ''vaquero'' traditions of Mexico. You tell me how did they end up in Guyana.

As of right now there are at least 40,000 Guyanese in Venezuela who travel back and forth to and from the country.

And if you are going to talk about the amount of Spanish and Brazilian clubs in Georgetown,Guyana forget about it.

Last edited by PrizeWinner; 09-25-2014 at 08:31 AM..

Old 09-25-2014, 09:03 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post

I was just their recently so I can attest from visual and audio observations. I cant say Portuguese of Guyana does not have no ties to Brazil, however plenty of Brazilians of Portuguese heritage did migrate to Guyana and I'm a by product of Brazilian migration to Guyana. Guyanese do not speak Spanish and its very rare to hear Guyanese to speak unless if one lives in the interior. Most spoken outside language in Guyana is Portuguese due to growing Brazilian influence in the country. However the coast remains heavily West Indian. I was in the interior and place names and signs are in both Portuguese and English. Amerindians have cultural ties with Both Venezuela and Brazil, but also cultural ties with Guyana as a whole. But when I was in Guyana clubs did play merengue and Bachata, Salsa with Reggae, Dance Hall and Soca. Also when I was in Guyana I came across Dominicans, but like in NYC and Puerto Rico, you already know Dominicans are up to no good! The Dominicans thought I was Dominican and I could relate with them, we spoke about Washington Heigths and the Bronx. I did go to a bar called El Club Latino and I felt like I was back in the Bronx. No matter what style of music, from Soca, Samba, Reggae, Dancehall, Reggaeton, Calypso, Rhumba, Merengue, Paranga, Chutney. None of these music styles are native to Guyana, but Guyanese like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrizeWinner View Post
Potuguese Guyanese have always had ties with other Lusophone territories like Cape Verde, Maideia island ,and from Portugal itself. Many of the Portuguese Guyanese were from Brazil itself so some did have ties, many of the Portuguese-Guyanese listen to Brazilian Samba. Some Portuguese Guyanese did indeed speak Portguese I knew a 2nd Generation Guyanese-American girl who was speaking it with her mother.

Bucks(Amerindians)and people mixed with Amerindians(black,Indian,and whites) have always traveled back and forth to Venezuela and many Ameirndians have picked up Spanish influences with food and customs.
In this video below you can see the Amerindians and half white Amerindians taking on the same ''vaquero'' traditions of Mexico. You tell me how did they end up in Guyana.

As of right now there are at least 40,000 Guyanese in Venezuela who travel back and forth to and from the country.

And if you are going to talk about the amount of Spanish and Brazilian clubs in Georgetown,Guyana forget about it.
My family of Portuguese decent via Brazil do not listen to Samba and quickly Anglicized everything except their Catholic faith and some notable cuisine options such as garlic pork or lamb or metengee. But yes plenty of Portuguese from Guyana did come from Brazil. Guyana did once have a large Portuguese population. A large Portuguese population with a former colony and sleeping giant Brazil did not play to well with British authorities. If anyone studied the history of South America, Brazil has grabbed land from neighboring countries kind of like who US grabbed land from Mexico. But yes the Guyana country has does have an heavily Hispanic influence compared to the coast which its influenced mainly by the Anglo Caribbean and India. However in recent years the Latin American culture has been growing in Guyana. Like example I drank Tampico in Guyana which is a Mexican soft drink. I was at a club dancing Merengue with a Dominican woman. Hundreds of Guyanese go to Cuba to study medicine since Guyana has no medical school, the cultural impact on Guyanese in Cuba leaves and impression on them as they return. Also the Anglo Caribbean and Indian cultures have also made there way into the interior. Brazil is a major route for ex pat Guyanese, Venezuela has some Guyanese also. Any way Guyana culturally is a weird place, its a mix of Indian, native Indian, Portuguese, Brazilian, imported Afro Jamaican, Afro American, Afro Trinidadian and Afro Cuban, Afro Barbadian West African, Chinese styles tastes and customs. Being from the Bronx and meeting Latinos in Guyana made me feel right at home!

Old 09-25-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I was just their recently so I can attest from visual and audio observations. I cant say Portuguese of Guyana does not have no ties to Brazil, however plenty of Brazilians of Portuguese heritage did migrate to Guyana and I'm a by product of Brazilian migration to Guyana. Guyanese do not speak Spanish and its very rare to hear Guyanese to speak unless if one lives in the interior. Most spoken outside language in Guyana is Portuguese due to growing Brazilian influence in the country. However the coast remains heavily West Indian. I was in the interior and place names and signs are in both Portuguese and English. Amerindians have cultural ties with Both Venezuela and Brazil, but also cultural ties with Guyana as a whole. But when I was in Guyana clubs did play merengue and Bachata, Salsa with Reggae, Dance Hall and Soca. Also when I was in Guyana I came across Dominicans, but like in NYC and Puerto Rico, you already know Dominicans are up to no good! The Dominicans thought I was Dominican and I could relate with them, we spoke about Washington Heigths and the Bronx. I did go to a bar called El Club Latino and I felt like I was back in the Bronx. No matter what style of music, from Soca, Samba, Reggae, Dancehall, Reggaeton, Calypso, Rhumba, Merengue, Paranga, Chutney. None of these music styles are native to Guyana, but Guyanese like it.
I was sayings its a norm for the Guaynese mostly with Amerindian admixture or are Amerindian to speak spanish since they travel back and forth. There are Guyanese who go to Cayenné in French Guiana to go fishing and other work,so there are some GTs who speak french. There are some who go to Venezuela to work who spèak span Spanish too. And same is some with Brazil. Did you know there was also a time when Guyanese would speak Dutch and Dutch Creole because they went to do work in Suriname. The original blacks of Guyana once spoke 3 different Dutch Creoles.

But you're right its not like Spanish is not Guyanese second language, but you can come across Guyanese in the interior speaking it as one. I know some Dominicans who went to Guyana and enjoyed themselves.
But their all kind of Brazilian Clubs in Guyana now and restaurants.

Quote:

My family of Portuguese decent via Brazil do not listen to Samba and quickly Anglicized everything except their Catholic faith and some notable cuisine options such as garlic pork or lamb or metengee. But yes plenty of Portuguese from Guyana did come from Brazil. Guyana did once have a large Portuguese population. A large Portuguese population with a former colony and sleeping giant Brazil did not play to well with British authorities. If anyone studied the history of South America, Brazil has grabbed land from neighboring countries kind of like who US grabbed land from Mexico. But yes the Guyana country has does have an heavily Hispanic influence compared to the coast which its influenced mainly by the Anglo Caribbean and India. However in recent years the Latin American culture has been growing in Guyana. Like example I drank Tampico in Guyana which is a Mexican soft drink. I was at a club dancing Merengue with a Dominican woman. Hundreds of Guyanese go to Cuba to study medicine since Guyana has no medical school, the cultural impact on Guyanese in Cuba leaves and impression on them as they return. Also the Anglo Caribbean and Indian cultures have also made there way into the interior. Brazil is a major route for ex pat Guyanese, Venezuela has some Guyanese also. Any way Guyana culturally is a weird place, its a mix of Indian, native Indian, Portuguese, Brazilian, imported Afro Jamaican, Afro American, Afro Trinidadian and Afro Cuban, Afro Barbadian West African, Chinese styles tastes and customs. Being from the Bronx and meeting Latinos in Guyana made me feel right at home!
Did you know 70% of the Portuguese going to the British West Indies ,went to Guyana. If you run some of the DNA tests some Lusophonic people have some genetic affinities to Guyanese.

And I will repeat , Soca is not exactly Trinidadian. Trinis want to take credit for Limbo which comes from Legba in Africa. The Carnival which was done all over.And even other Caribbean foods like pulori, but these things are done all over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City