Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 09:29 AM

518 posts, read 627,886 times

Advertisements

I think I am fairly tolerant of new immigrants to New York. Will someone please explain to me though why Guyanese immigrants have to have noisy parties with microphones and loudspeakers? They seem to have absolutely no regard or respect for their neighbors. We had to actually call the police one night when one of their parties went on until 4 A.M. As soon as the police left the first time, they turned the music up again. Finally, the police had to come two more times, the final time telling the people that the party had to disperse. Of course, then the police were told that these Guyanese people had a right to have a party and make as much noise as they wanted, that they were Americans. The police told them that we had rights too.

I just don't understand why these new immigrants think they can run rough shod over other people with no regard to their neighbors' comfort and rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2007, 10:16 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,679,627 times
Guyanese immigrants are not new to New York. Went to high school and college with folk from Guyana 20 and 25 years ago!

What neighborhood are you in? If it's Flatbush, well, good luck stopping parties, especially this weekend!

Old 09-01-2007, 10:37 AM

233 posts, read 907,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Guyanese immigrants are not new to New York. Went to high school and college with folk from Guyana 20 and 25 years ago!

What neighborhood are you in? If it's Flatbush, well, good luck stopping parties, especially this weekend!
That's right! The Caribbean Day parade is this weekend. Man, I miss that period.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:42 AM

479 posts, read 879,936 times
What neighborhood is this going on in? Yes West Indian people have very loud and busy parties but this is not exclusive to one culture. You just happen to live near some very rude,arrogant(which explains why the cops kept coming back) neighbors.How frequent are these parties? If you two must co-exist since you're neighbors I suggest that you confront them, particularly with other neighbors and kindly ask them to be respectful of others and keep the noise down one day.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:45 AM

479 posts, read 879,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYnowNC View Post
That's right! The Caribbean Day parade is this weekend. Man, I miss that period.
Wow, so I'm not the only one in Charlotte who misses the West Indian Day parade. Wish I could turn Tryon St. into Eastern Parkway once a year.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens2QueenCity View Post
What neighborhood is this going on in? Yes West Indian people have very loud and busy parties but this is not exclusive to one culture. You just happen to live near some very rude,arrogant(which explains why the cops kept coming back) neighbors.How frequent are these parties? If you two must co-exist since you're neighbors I suggest that you confront them, particularly with other neighbors and kindly ask them to be respectful of others and keep the noise down one day.
At the time of the incident I mentioned, we lived in Ozone Park, Queens. We have subsequently moved from that area. It just seems that the new immigrants now expect us to conform to their culture instead of their assimiliating into ours.

By the way,we tried to confront them and were told very rudely that they were NOT going to turn their music down. It was a two family house and our other neighbors were all either Indian or Mexican. I know we should have checked out the neighborhood more thoroughly before we moved there. We had moved out of New York six years before and settled in New Orleans. We were forced out of N. O. because of Hurricane Katrina and decided to come "home" to N. Y. Unfortunately, we didn't realize how very, very much New York had changed from what we remembered.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:27 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,340,227 times
They want you to go and party with them.

It is their way of being hospitable.

They want everyone to know their is a party, and they want all to join in.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:25 PM

49 posts, read 288,666 times
I'm West Indian and I couldn't have been more offended by the first post.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:46 PM

Default Guyanese immigrants

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellat View Post
I'm West Indian and I couldn't have been more offended by the first post.
While I didn't mean to offend (were you the noisy neighbor that caused us so much misery?), your attitude just solidifies what I said in my original posting.
Are you West Indian or American? Where do your loyalties lie? Are you trying to assimiliate into American culture?

Old 09-01-2007, 04:02 PM

49 posts, read 288,666 times
Firstly, I am Jamaican. Born and raised. I am not American and I will never consider myself another nationality regardless of what passport I carry. Don't worry, I do not want to assimilate myself into your culture or be a part of it at all. I only speak for myself when I say that.

I think they should have informed you of the party beforehand and kept the noise to an acceptable level after hour but I take offense to your saying that these "new immigrants" have no respect for their neighbour's comfort. It was such a loaded statement.

Lastly, for your information, Guyanese folks are not new immigrants at all. I know Guyanese people who have lived in NY for 30, 40 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City