Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 01:14 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times

Advertisements

11 yr old Virgina boy becomes 4th death as result of Irene....tree fell onto apt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 01:29 PM

202 posts, read 686,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
11 yr old Virgina boy becomes 4th death as result of Irene....tree fell onto apt
I heard about that on the news. Virginia is just starting to see the wrath of the storm. I fear this story will be more common. I have taped my windows,and put sandbags in front of my doors. I live in zone B, and I am not taking chances.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:52 PM

cnn reporting nearly 1 million without power...

Old 08-27-2011, 02:11 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,101,747 times
Taping the windows will do absolutely nothing. Just keep away from the windows!

We are in central NC, and it's been raining since yesterday. Some trees are down in immediate neighborhood. We're on the edge of the hurricane, and yet 21,000 people in the county alone have lost their power. We keep getting power glitches, and we don't know if the next one will be "it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatitdo? View Post
I heard about that on the news. Virginia is just starting to see the wrath of the storm. I fear this story will be more common. I have taped my windows,and put sandbags in front of my doors. I live in zone B, and I am not taking chances.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:14 PM

5th death from Irene reported....tree fell on car in VA

Old 08-27-2011, 02:15 PM

Well, you haven't learned a thing, then, about preparing for a hurricane, and you should depend on outsiders who have been through them -- taping your windows does nothing. Nothing at all. Just keep yourself away from the windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
Don't you mean anyone NATIVE to the city and over 20?

Lots of over 20 Transplants got here yesterday.

BTW, the Mayor of New York City has NO power or authority over the Metropolitan Transit Authority, otherwise known as the MTA. The MTA is the governing Authority over the Transit Authority ("TA"). The Transit Authority runs the Subway and Bus systems in NYC, as well as Accessor Ride.

It is the Govenor of the State of NY who as authority over the MTA. It was Govenor Cuomo who made the decision and gave the Order to shut down the MTA, which includes the TA.

In addition to the subways and buses in NYC, the commuter rail systems governed by the MTA are also shut down.

Facts, facts, facts, not supposiion!

Curious, how so many people, not from, nor living in, NYC have so much to say.

We have had numerous hurricanes pass near, and at least one I do recall pass thru the city. Years ago, I, too, recall the eye of the hurricane passing and the 'calm' before the backside of the hurricane passed.

So, a Cat 1 has hit NYC before, in relatively recent times. Several dozen 'tropical storms' over recent years have passed near or thru the city. Noreasters are a regular occurrence.

That said, I have taped the balcony doors, and will tape the large master bedroom windows. I am in Zone B. I have mild concern about flying debris. There are a lot of numnuts who haven't secured their loose objects. Some in my building. Even in normal circumstances my location is subject to high winds on a daily basis. This will be the first hurricane in this location. Hopefully, the sea wall will be sufficient to forestall any serious flooding.

Any serious flooding and/or power outages will be a life threatening event, given my medical condition. Yet, I'm not overly concerned. Made it thru the snow storm, though with a slight bit of trouble.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:18 PM

Re earlier info about the lights no going out in NC. Right now, nearly half a million homes are out of power in central and eastern North Carolina.

Don't listen to Fox News.

Local NC weathercaster is now saying that it will be a Category 1 when it hits NYC, and the storm surge will be a big problem there, resulting in a lot of flooding, because you've had a lot of recent rain and have a lot of concrete. We haven't had rain for a while, so our soil could handle the water...there has still been flooding in some places, though.

And they also said you should evacuate if you'd been asked to.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:36 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,359,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Re earlier info about the lights no going out in NC. Right now, nearly half a million homes are out of power in central and eastern North Carolina.

Local NC weathercaster is now saying that it will be a Category 1 when it hits NYC, and the storm surge will be a big problem there, resulting in a lot of flooding, because you've had a lot of recent rain and have a lot of concrete. We haven't had rain for a while, so our soil could handle the water...there has still been flooding in some places, though.

Loss of electricity doesn't mean much.
Loss of electricity regularly occurs during storms with 30 mph winds.

Pointing out the loss of electricity as some kind of indicator as to the strength of the storm is asinine.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:41 PM

Reading comprehension skills can be quite useful.

I didn't equate anything with wind velocity.

The point is that some blame the media for hype. Reality is that people needed to be told to prepare to be without power -- due to the hurricane.

The winds where we are are hardly anything at all. But 21,000 have lost power. We're on the edge of the hurricane winds. You guys will suffer more because you will be near the eye and your soil is saturated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Loss of electricity doesn't mean much.
Loss of electricity regularly occurs during storms with 30 mph winds.

Pointing out the loss of electricity as some kind of indicator as to the strength of the storm is asinine.

Old 08-27-2011, 02:41 PM

YOU are so right....we have downed power lines, downed trees, widespread and significant property damage and flooding in SC-NC-VA...and horrible beach erosion.

and now 6 deaths attributed to Irene.

Get it yet, people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City