Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 04:40 AM

420 posts, read 806,054 times

Advertisements

I've accepted the fact that it is very likely we will lose power in NYC for an extended period of time. I've been trying to figure out if there is a chance that we will lose our water for a while too. No one I know seems to know anything about NYC's water supply and the potential for it to be compromised. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 05:00 AM

9,249 posts, read 24,103,780 times
The media is greatly exaggerating this thing,as usual.We go through this with every tropical storm and hurricane that comes up the coast and most of them either fade at the last minute or change track to the East at the last minute.

Looks now like NYC will experience Irene as a weakening tropical storm that will be passing to the East over eastern LI.There will be problems and damage but it's probably not going to be a really big deal for most NY'ers.I wouldn't worry at all about the water supply.It's not likely to be affected at all.

Just stay indoors.The biggest storm threat in NYC is always flying projectiles from roofs and window sills and tree limbs falling on you.

It's more likely that when this is all over you will wonder what all the hype was about.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:48 AM

25,392 posts, read 37,139,204 times
Our water supply is a rarity in that it is gravity fed. Thus it is probably pretty much immune to anything except pollution of the watershed by development. IRENE should pose no threat.

Most of out electricity input is buried unlike some areas (like Long Island which loses power in a light wind) so I think we stand a good chance of getting through the storm with lights still on.

Does any part of the city still have overhead lines and transformers? Outer boroughs?

Old 08-26-2011, 06:15 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,110,850 times
Here, people were told to have water available during hurricanes. That's true only if you're on a well because electricity is needed to get it out of the ground.

Our water was fine through Hurricane Fran.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:25 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,110,850 times
I don't see evidence of it being anything but a hit on NYC all the way up the coast. As of this moment (Friday morning), it shows it is still dangerous: Hurricane Irene: Current Status and Forecast Scroll down on that page, and you can see it's not business as usual.

Why pass on incorrect information?

It does NOT show that it will be a "weakening tropical storm."

The future is unpredictable. The media is doing its best to share what is known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The media is greatly exaggerating this thing,as usual.We go through this with every tropical storm and hurricane that comes up the coast and most of them either fade at the last minute or change track to the East at the last minute.

Looks now like NYC will experience Irene as a weakening tropical storm that will be passing to the East over eastern LI.There will be problems and damage but it's probably not going to be a really big deal for most NY'ers.I wouldn't worry at all about the water supply.It's not likely to be affected at all.

Just stay indoors.The biggest storm threat in NYC is always flying projectiles from roofs and window sills and tree limbs falling on you.

It's more likely that when this is all over you will wonder what all the hype was about.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:46 AM

43,759 posts, read 44,531,359 times
When NYC had the big electrical power outage a few summers ago, people who lived above the 6th floor (approx.) lost their water supply as the electric pumps weren't working to pump the waters to upper floors. (That isn't a problem in older buildings with up to 6 floors.)

Old 08-26-2011, 07:15 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,363,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I don't see evidence of it being anything but a hit on NYC all the way up the coast. As of this moment (Friday morning), it shows it is still dangerous: Hurricane Irene: Current Status and Forecast Scroll down on that page, and you can see it's not business as usual.

Why pass on incorrect information?

It does NOT show that it will be a "weakening tropical storm."

The future is unpredictable. The media is doing its best to share what is known.
The media is doing its best to drive business (viewership) and fear monger as usual. You'd think we're getting hit by an asteroid.

Is it possible that this will be more damaging than usual? Of course. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:22 AM

119 posts, read 250,172 times
I bought a few gallons of water, because I live in Greenpoint in an evacuation zone, and I don't live far from the waste treatment plant. If Greenpoint floods, I'm not trusting that the water is okay to drink.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:21 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,271,322 times
It's good to be prepared and informed but I also agree that it appears this storm will weaken significantly by the time it reaches us. We'll have some downed trees and maybe a few broken windows. There's bound to be someone who gets killed when a tree falls on their car--but that's it.

I think we'll have power and water throughout.

Generally speaking though, one shouldn't wait for an imminent threat to stock up on water, food, flashlight batteries, first aid kits etc. It's rarely the predictable events that get you--its the emergencies no one expects.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:36 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,067,151 times
It's best to over prepare and then go with the flow....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City