Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:46 AM

7,057 posts, read 19,334,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Here, people were told to have water available during hurricanes. That's true only if you're on a well because electricity is needed to get it out of the ground.

Our water was fine through Hurricane Fran.
I used to live in VA and NC and have seen many hurricanes. During Hurricane Floyd in 1999 I was in Tidewater VA, where we had a municipal water supply from a reservoir farther inland. The water supply was turned off the day after the storm because the reservoir and treatment facilities were flooded. We did not have water service restored for a week.

So even if you don't have a well, and even if you live on a low floor, stock up on potable and non-potable water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 10:52 AM

25,387 posts, read 37,130,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
When NYC had the big electrical power outage a few summers ago, people who lived above the 6th floor (approx.) lost their water supply as the electric pumps weren't working to pump the waters to upper floors. (That isn't a problem in older buildings with up to 6 floors.)
I was wondering about upper floors but I kind of assumed that the upstate water sources were much higher than the highest towers in NYC and gravity would get water to it all. But then some on Manhattan and the Bronx are on pretty high ground and then up 40 stories or more from there is pretty high up so that assumption might be a bad one...and then there is pipe resistance to consider.

I imagine 6th floor of Battery Park City and 6th floor of buildings on Carnegie Hill are very different by a couple hundred feet?

I have 7 gallons (of WATER ) for drinking and tonight I will shower and then fill the tub for toilet flushing. Batteries are all fresh in 7 flashlights and I found there are NO emergency generators in my building...so I won't be going downstairs if the power faiils because there is NO way I'm going to climb all the way back up...that's what the STAIRMASTER is for. I;ve got candles, but candles in August without A/C power is not appealing.
Checked transistor radio...working fine.

It's beginning to cloud over after a sunny morning so maybe the first outer bands are approaching.

Sit tight and watch the show.

(Happy thought: I'll bet my building has a big water tank on the roof to maintain pressure for quite a while???) I recently read that most high-rises do in order to maintain constant pressure.)

Last edited by Kefir King; 08-26-2011 at 11:01 AM..

Old 08-26-2011, 05:30 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,820,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Our water supply is a rarity in that it is gravity fed. Thus it is probably pretty much immune to anything except pollution of the watershed by development. IRENE should pose no threat.

Most of out electricity input is buried unlike some areas (like Long Island which loses power in a light wind) so I think we stand a good chance of getting through the storm with lights still on.
You just stated that MOST is buried.

Then you ask this:

Quote:
Does any part of the city still have overhead lines and transformers? Outer boroughs?
What is it? "Most" doesn't include the other 4 boroughs? If you DO NOT know, then why use the term "most"?

Is English not your first language? Doesn't appear so.

Gosh, you say some of the most stupidly presumptuous things. Like, previously, when you claimed that "most" buildings in NYC have 'free' cooking gas.

To answer you question, YES! Large parts of Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx, and especially Staten Island (which I believe is majorily above ground).

If you are not a Transplant you should be. No Native could ever know so little about their city and talk so much about what they DON'T know. Sheesh!

Old 08-26-2011, 06:32 PM

19,074 posts, read 14,010,044 times
Washington Heights has it's name for a reason. 265ft, highest elevation in Manhattan. Most anything outside over that is under 100'.

Old 08-26-2011, 07:05 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,755,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Here, people were told to have water available during hurricanes. That's true only if you're on a well because electricity is needed to get it out of the ground.

Our water was fine through Hurricane Fran.
There is the potential for contamination. We have public water and if the storm causes problems at the pumping facilities, or if any of the holding areas are compromised, the water will have to be treated, leaving areas without potable water.

Old 08-26-2011, 08:02 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,736,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
I've accepted the fact that it is very likely we will lose power in NYC for an extended period of time. I've been trying to figure out if there is a chance that we will lose our water for a while too. No one I know seems to know anything about NYC's water supply and the potential for it to be compromised. Any thoughts?
Power in Manhattan will be fine. Some of the other boroughs may have problems. But it won't be terrible. The big problems will be Westchester, LI, Staten Island, and Rockaway (which uses LIPA).

Old 08-27-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
You just stated that MOST is buried.

Then you ask this:

What is it? "Most" doesn't include the other 4 boroughs? If you DO NOT know, then why use the term "most"?

Is English not your first language? Doesn't appear so.

Gosh, you say some of the most stupidly presumptuous things. Like, previously, when you claimed that "most" buildings in NYC have 'free' cooking gas.

To answer you question, YES! Large parts of Brooklyn, Queens, The Bronx, and especially Staten Island (which I believe is majorily above ground).

If you are not a Transplant you should be. No Native could ever know so little about their city and talk so much about what they DON'T know. Sheesh!
Honestly,
I PROVED to you by example that MOST of New York apartments do not pay separately for cooking gas, your response was NOTHING...and yet you go on like a foolish Rumplestiltskin stamping his foot in rage.

I said MOST of New York has buried lines because that is CORRECT and provable but you rant on in some mysterious direction. I asked if areas in the outer boroughs had overhead lines and expected someone who knows to tell me about them...I don't live there.

But still you rant on about NONSENSE. Are you really that unhappy that I expose every one of your tedious screeds as idiocy?
What in God's name do you get from being a punctilious twerp?
If everything you "preached" was true, allowances could be made, but that is far from the truth.

So you can now prove to us that most New Yorkers pay individially for coooking gas and that most New Yorkers DO NOT get electricity from buried lines. We will wait with baited breath. Ranting is not proof.

Why not just put me on IGNORE if the board has such a function and then you won't have to read either my facts or my opinions and you can blather on to your heart's content.
If there is no IGNORE function, then why not just ignore me...I would consider it a blessing because you add nothing except invective, boring, stupid invective at that.

"English as a second language?".....that's something I'd expect from a second grade brat?

Oh you learned a silly new word "transplant"...see you CAN read but not the brightest word to choose from the board. But no, I've lived within 4 miles of Times Square for 40 years? Can you say the same? (Rhetorical, nobody cares.)

Last edited by Kefir King; 08-27-2011 at 10:08 AM..

Old 08-27-2011, 09:48 AM

9,787 posts, read 7,501,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
I've accepted the fact that it is very likely we will lose power in NYC for an extended period of time. I've been trying to figure out if there is a chance that we will lose our water for a while too. No one I know seems to know anything about NYC's water supply and the potential for it to be compromised. Any thoughts?

Remember hurricane Earl from last year?? Media was really making that out to be serious, all I got here in CT was a little bit of rain, same as NY. This will be the same thing, heavy rain, moderate wind (up to 50), a minimum of power lost for only 4 or 5 days. Don't buy the hype!! These bozo's will say anything to get viewers.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:56 AM

542 posts, read 1,480,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Honestly,
I PROVED to you by example that MOST of New York apartments do not pay separately for cooking gas...and yet you go on like a foolish Rumplestiltskin stamping his foot in rage.

I said MOST of New York has buried lines because that is CORRECT and provable but you rant on in some mysterious direction. I asked if areas in the outer boroughs had overhead lines and expected someone who knows to tell me about them...I don't live there.

But still you rant on about NONSENSE. Are you really that unhappy that I expose every one of your tedious screeds as idiocy?
What in God's name do you get from being a punctilious twerp?
If everything you "preached" was true, allowances could be made, but that is far from the truth.

Why not just put me on IGNORE if the board has such a function and then you won't have to read either my facts or my opinions and you can blather on to your heart's content.

Is there an ignore function? I've looked but haven't found it yet. He (that you are responding to) is the biggest d%#k on this board, not to mention the most ill-informed (re: stupid) and I would love to put him and his posts on ignore.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:11 AM

sekhmet,

I will search for IGNORE. I know from other boards that it is sometimes hard to find. If I find it I'll give a heads up.

Yep,
Click on your Name. It opens PROFILE. Choose MY SETTING and on the left is EDIT IGNORE LIST.
The downside is that too many IGNORE's will make threads a little wonky and hard to understand. I try to use it only as a last desperate measure to eliminate the most unbearable posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City