Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 07:21 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Has everyone lost their minds ?

I can't believe all all the ridiculous threads and posts people have made in the last few days with outrageous predictions of total disaster,looting and general mayhem.

I can't believe our overreacting mayor is evacuating people from neighborhoods in Manhattan and is going to shut down the transit system for a storm that probably won't even produce winds in NYC any higher than in an average thunderstorm or a typical winter storm.

Why does anyone around here pay any attention to tropical storms/hurricanes before they at least get to Cape Hatteras so that there is a better idea of what the storm is and where it is really going ?

What a ridiculous waste of time and energy this whole exercise has been and will be for at least another 24 to 36 hours
It's a government conspiracy. There is no storm. The weather reports and video are all faked by the CIA and Bilderberg people, who are bored right now and watching us on their special cameras as we scurry around for their own entertainment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 07:26 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,483,844 times
I applaud the mayor's efforts in keeping everyone safe. It is better safe than sorry.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:29 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Anyone think there is any chance our bumbling mayor will come to his senses and not go through with this insane total shutdown of the transit system ?

Latest reports are that the storm is beginning to weaken and fall apart which is what they usually do as soon as they get to Cape Hatteras.
It's still expected to hit NYC as a Category 1, which means potentially strong storm surge in the New York harbor. Transit is shut down due to the high likely hood of subway flooding.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:56 AM

824 posts, read 2,791,711 times
I'll say it, no one else has said it...this hurricane is clearly Bush's fault.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:04 AM

49 posts, read 90,287 times
Better safe than sorry. As a mayor you can't do it right for everyone. If he evacuates, people are nagging and if he does nothing, people are nagging. I think he's doing the right thing. If things do go wrong, people will at least be safe. If it doesn't, well good for him for trying to keep everyone safe.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:08 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,150,626 times
I sincerely hope NY'ers do not have to experience even a Cat 1. A tropical storm would be bad enough if it hit at low tide let alone hurricane force winds. The city is being smart and making preparations. NY'ers tend to have this feeling that they've seen it all; you haven't and you all should knock on wood that you have yet to see what mother nature can really do. With that being said, take precautions as hurricanes are unpredictable. It can stay on land and die out (best case) or it can turn direction head back out to sea and pick up steam and turn back inland straight towards you and that would be bad with a city right at sea level with building codes not designed to handle such weather. Katrina dropped to a level 3 the night before it hit the gulf just to jump to a Cat 5 when it hit. So NY'ers, heed the warning from people who live in hurricane areas and heed the warnings of what they say WILL happen in the event Irene is at hurricane levels when it hits as you all have a lot of people, lot of rats and a lot of trash which won't be pretty.

Old 08-27-2011, 08:09 AM

973 posts, read 1,705,342 times
Welcome to what we get in Florida all the time. I can see taking precautions as NYC is different from most areas as far as topography/buildings, but I think closing down airports and transportation at 12 noon is a bit too soon. I could see 6 or midnight as it gets closer and one can see what strength it really will be....but then what do I know!

Good luck to you!!!!

Old 08-27-2011, 08:14 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Best of luck to all of you in the path of the hurricane. Be safe!

Old 08-27-2011, 08:17 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
I just remember how angry everyone was that New Orleans didn't take proper measures prior to Katrina. Damned if you do, damned if you don't!!!

Old 08-27-2011, 08:18 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanwoman54 View Post
Welcome to what we get in Florida all the time. I can see taking precautions as NYC is different from most areas as far as topography/buildings, but I think closing down airports and transportation at 12 noon is a bit too soon. I could see 6 or midnight as it gets closer and one can see what strength it really will be....but then what do I know!

Good luck to you!!!!
The idea behind closing the airports is to minimize the number of people stuck in the NY metro airport terminals. They are allowing outgoing flights as long as possible, but not allowing any incoming flights after noon today. 6000 flights have been cancelled.

As far as other transportation, remember that NYC is sitting on a set of islands. The tide will be high, and much of the public transportation is underground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City