Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2011, 06:54 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,925,165 times

Advertisements

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! When will this super hurricane stop????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 06:56 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,445,760 times
New Jersey got the worst of this tropical storm, in NYC Queens has gotten the worst of all the boroughs, but nothing like was predicted, I bet the sun is out by 11 AM, goodnight Irene....

Old 08-28-2011, 06:58 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,921,416 times
Manhattan....Hudson and East have overflowed banks sending water into Battery Park, West Village and into meat-packing district/cnn.com

s right now.Highest official wind gusts so far in NYC have been 56 mph.The morning high tide is co inciding with the eye passage but there has been no flooding in lower Manhattan at all.[/quote]

Old 08-28-2011, 07:01 AM

49 posts, read 90,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legal_eagle View Post
So far, Irene has not been very impressive. The news media is overreacting, just like with the earthquake.
Tell that to the people who are getting flooded now :-(
Just because you aren't noticing much, doesn't mean that other people aren't.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:06 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,070,041 times
Supposedly, the strongest winds are located east of the hurricane. So since NYC lies right on it/more to the west, we are just getting the rain. It is raining here and there is an occasional strong gust but it's not as bad.

Update: Now a tropical storm.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:08 AM

339 posts, read 697,267 times
As a born and bred NYer, now living out of state I am watching tv coverage of Irene. I've been in tropical storms and hurricanes both state-side and in the Caribbean as a child and adult. I respect the power of either a tropical storm or a hurricane. I applaud the officials for taking the precautions they've taken. At the time of this post around 9 am I am seeing the video out of NY showing the water rising on Long Beach Howard Beach, the Hudson is overflowing etc.

Has the media hyped it... maybe a little, but the population density of NYC, the amount of glass in NYC, an underground electrified mass transit... I don't believe official over reacted at all. As far as some people over reacting, that is probably their reaction to any mis-hap in their lives but I am still applaud those that took the precaution and took the warnings seriously.

When it comes to mother nature vs. man...she is unpredictable and usually she will win if mankind guesses wrong, don't heed the warning or is cocky....Irene entered NYC as a hurricane, maybe barely based on wind speed, but the damage is happening.

My family in NYC is okay hunkered down and I pray they stay that way , but the worst is still yet to come, be safe my fellow NYers and heed the warnings hurricanes or high wind TS are dangerous tornadoes are also possible....

Be smart, not cocky, be prepared mother nature rules this ....

Last edited by NYPeach; 08-28-2011 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 08-28-2011, 07:12 AM

9,250 posts, read 24,114,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYPeach View Post

My family in NYC is okay hunkered down and I pray they stay that way , but the worst is still yet to come, be safe my fellow NYers and heed the warnings hurricanes or high wind TS are dangerous tornadoes are also possible........
The worst is yet to come ?

Old 08-28-2011, 07:14 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,737,636 times
Default i just saw

on my local channel 12 website that the worst has yet to come for The bronx

so far i don't see it worsening

Old 08-28-2011, 07:22 AM

339 posts, read 697,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
The worst is yet to come ?
I guess you are being sarcastic... well if so, then har-dee har har...

If you are being serious well, tornadoes are a possibility with hurricanes/ts..

Maybe where you live in NYC you only have a little rain and a little wind...so I am very happy for you that this is just hype for you, but for people in Long Beach and in Howard Beach their streets are indeed very flooded.

Again, those that prepared good for them, and for those that are not impressed, think this is hype, their neighborhood is okay good for them as well

Last edited by NYPeach; 08-28-2011 at 08:16 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-28-2011, 07:24 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,445,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
on my local channel 12 website that the worst has yet to come for The bronx

so far i don't see it worsening
The news channels are competing for ratings, they have to say whatever they can to keep you tuned in..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City