Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 09:14 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,153,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
The hype is crazy. From someone from Miami dont worry NYC you will be fine!! I dont even think this thing will be a CAT-1 by the time it gets up there. A strong topical storm seems more likely to me
Difference, Miami is prepared for hurricanes with building codes, experience and the like and yes a Cat I in Miami people would still be going to work. NYC isn't prepared for a Hurricane, or a tornado that can spin off from it. There aren't any building codes up to snuff for hurricane force winds, they would be unprepared for a tornado and contrary to popular belief, a tornado doesn't need flat land to form and touchdown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 09:20 AM

1,325 posts, read 4,199,747 times
The storm will be battering NYC for almost a full 24 hour period due to its size. They are expecting 4 to 8 foot storm surges in low lying areas per latest update.

If you are in a low lying area of NYC or its 5 b's take it very seriously.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:26 AM

9,763 posts, read 7,481,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Fox and some of the other cable networks should have their licenses pulled for inciting panic.Just heard them talking about a "possible 6 to 12 foot storm surge coming into lower Manhattan from NY harbor".
This is after the storm made landfall in North Carolina without the lights even going out.

They are still reading from scripts written for them 3 days ago.

I can't believe these bozo's are saying it will still be a category 1 by the time it reaches the Mass/Vermont border?? Seriously, I wonder if these moron's actually believe themselves?? Vermont with a category 1 hurrucane, thats a good joke.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:27 AM

1,355 posts, read 1,922,638 times
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Old 08-27-2011, 09:42 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,443,770 times
Quote:
Anyone think there is any chance our bumbling mayor will come to his senses and not go through with this insane total shutdown of the transit system ?

Latest reports are that the storm is beginning to weaken and fall apart which is what they usually do as soon as they get to Cape Hatteras.
Doubt it, Bloomberg is overcompensating for the fact that he botched up the snowstorm in December. I notice he does not like to be questioned, or criticized; he gets very nasty when he is.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:42 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
Agree....don't ignore recommendations for this storm. Check the hurricane threads and posts under Weather and at least have a hurricane survival kit ready.

Be prepared. At least have: Water, 3 galllons/person/day; cash; flashlight/batteries, dry and canned foods; medications etc.

Someone said the lights did not go out? THOUSANDS ARE WITHOUT POWER IN NC...WATCH THE NEWS PEOPLE....msnbc.com is good.

I live coastal SC and had only tropical storm but we had: downed trees and power lines, LOSS of power, flooding, 6-8 ft storm surge, horrible beach erosion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Difference, Miami is prepared for hurricanes with building codes, experience and the like and yes a Cat I in Miami people would still be going to work. NYC isn't prepared for a Hurricane, or a tornado that can spin off from it. There aren't any building codes up to snuff for hurricane force winds, they would be unprepared for a tornado and contrary to popular belief, a tornado doesn't need flat land to form and touchdown.

Last edited by greatblueheron; 08-27-2011 at 10:15 AM..

Old 08-27-2011, 10:30 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times
Quote:
Has everyone lost their minds ?

I can't believe all all the ridiculous threads and posts people have made in the last few days with outrageous predictions of total disaster,looting and general mayhem.

I can't believe our overreacting mayor is evacuating people from neighborhoods in Manhattan and is going to shut down the transit system for a storm that probably won't even produce winds in NYC any higher than in an average thunderstorm or a typical winter storm.

Why does anyone around here pay any attention to tropical storms/hurricanes before they at least get to Cape Hatteras so that there is a better idea of what the storm is and where it is really going ?

What a ridiculous waste of time and energy this whole exercise has been and will be for at least another 24 to 36 hours
Ever heard the expression, better to be safe than sorry?

Have you already forgotten the shameful disaster that occured this past winter?

Old 08-27-2011, 10:32 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,251,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulful View Post
The storm will be battering NYC for almost a full 24 hour period due to its size. They are expecting 4 to 8 foot storm surges in low lying areas per latest update.

If you are in a low lying area of NYC or its 5 b's take it very seriously.
I agree. Inner city and the overwhelming majority of people shouldnt worry but parts of the outer boroughs are vulnerable. So people in those areas like the rockaways for instance should be very careful.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:03 AM

86 posts, read 306,887 times
Some people here are extremely stupid. This is why I hate New Yorkers even though I am a New Yorker. You think you see it, and understand it, but you have not, and you should stop having that arrogant attitude. Ignorance and arrogance kills.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:14 AM

395 posts, read 1,214,929 times
I am more worried about the debris. My building still has a dumpster full of trash from an apartment they are renovating and people are throwing trash in it. The police barricades are still on my street, there are six trashcans full of trash that are not tied down and people's garbage still has not been collected. And I just found out that the city has 13 cranes that they may not be able to take down because they take to long to "put away". They can only withstand wind up to 65 mph. (These are large construction cranes down by World Trade.)
This city is going to be a mess on Monday. Don't people know that the wind can pick up debris and cause it to be a projectile. I had to tell officers to move plywood that City College just left sitting out on the sidewalk(SMH)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City