Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 11:14 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,111,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I can't believe these bozo's are saying it will still be a category 1 by the time it reaches the Mass/Vermont border?? Seriously, I wonder if these moron's actually believe themselves?? Vermont with a category 1 hurrucane, thats a good joke.
I've seen one at cat. 1 status in KY. We lost power for 2 days in a city of 300,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 11:45 AM

988 posts, read 3,257,826 times
I've been through Hurricane Rita which was a Cat 3-4 and that caused devastation. When Irene hits NYC, it'll most likely be a Tropical Storm and I don't think we'll have severe damage. This storm will be weak(in terms of tropical force winds) but it's huge in size so we'll get pounded with rain. My main worries are the subway system, and major flooding to low-line areas. I doubt we'd lose power.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:51 AM

25,387 posts, read 37,126,683 times
I was dead square eye-on for Hurricane Hazel as a kid, the Sun came out as the eye passed over...Diane the next year passed close.

I insisted I had to remain outside for Hazel...and I did.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:59 AM

202 posts, read 686,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
I've been through Hurricane Rita which was a Cat 3-4 and that caused devastation. When Irene hits NYC, it'll most likely be a Tropical Storm and I don't think we'll have severe damage. This storm will be weak(in terms of tropical force winds) but it's huge in size so we'll get pounded with rain. My main worries are the subway system, and major flooding to low-line areas. I doubt we'd lose power.
They said they might cut power to Lower Manhattan tomorrow, if a storm surge becomes imminent. Of course,with the ground already saturated, trees will be easily downed,which means power outages elsewhere.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:12 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,111,227 times

Hurricane Ike makes it to Louisville Kentucky - YouTube

Ike when it was a tropical storm several hundred miles inland.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:20 PM

2,896 posts, read 9,820,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Anyone who is more than 20 years old knows that these types of storms almost always either fade,die or change course and go out to sea after they reach Cape Hatteras. There is always at least 24 hours after a storm passes Cape Hatteras before it gets up here.It's just plain stupid to get so absolutely crazed about something 5 days ahead of time when the chances are it will never happen the way some of the fear mongerers predict.
Don't you mean anyone NATIVE to the city and over 20?

Lots of over 20 Transplants got here yesterday.

BTW, the Mayor of New York City has NO power or authority over the Metropolitan Transit Authority, otherwise known as the MTA. The MTA is the governing Authority over the Transit Authority ("TA"). The Transit Authority runs the Subway and Bus systems in NYC, as well as Accessor Ride.

It is the Govenor of the State of NY who as authority over the MTA. It was Govenor Cuomo who made the decision and gave the Order to shut down the MTA, which includes the TA.

In addition to the subways and buses in NYC, the commuter rail systems governed by the MTA are also shut down.

Facts, facts, facts, not supposiion!

Curious, how so many people, not from, nor living in, NYC have so much to say.

We have had numerous hurricanes pass near, and at least one I do recall pass thru the city. Years ago, I, too, recall the eye of the hurricane passing and the 'calm' before the backside of the hurricane passed.

So, a Cat 1 has hit NYC before, in relatively recent times. Several dozen 'tropical storms' over recent years have passed near or thru the city. Noreasters are a regular occurrence.

That said, I have taped the balcony doors, and will tape the large master bedroom windows. I am in Zone B. I have mild concern about flying debris. There are a lot of numnuts who haven't secured their loose objects. Some in my building. Even in normal circumstances my location is subject to high winds on a daily basis. This will be the first hurricane in this location. Hopefully, the sea wall will be sufficient to forestall any serious flooding.

Any serious flooding and/or power outages will be a life threatening event, given my medical condition. Yet, I'm not overly concerned. Made it thru the snow storm, though with a slight bit of trouble.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:39 PM

8,515 posts, read 16,198,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
There is no winning. If people get everyone out, it's overreacting. If they don't get people out in time, they are negligent and 'should have done something.'

There's no pleasing anyone.

Better safe than sorry, I say.
I was listening to a few folks on FOX and they were blaming Obama for this.

Yup, they were saying Obama should have worked better at preparing the country for this.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:42 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,679,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I was listening to a few folks on FOX and they were blaming Obama for this.

Yup, they were saying Obama should have worked better at preparing the country for this.
They're hoping and praying for an utter disaster so that they can compare Obama's "mishandling" of Irene with Bush's "successes" during Katrina.

Old 08-27-2011, 12:58 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,155,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post

Facts, facts, facts, not supposiion!

That said, I have taped the balcony doors, and will tape the large master bedroom windows. .
You can waste your time taping windows if you like. I guess you haven't read anything on hurricane preparedness or you would already know it's not recommended.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:10 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,721,086 times
Just moved to NY and this is not the way I plan to start my life here...This is the 3rd Hurricane I will be in (other two were in Houston. Rita & Katrina). I just got here, and its pretty much unlikely for me to take a flight out of here. Hows the traffic going to Upstate NY??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City