Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 04:06 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,635,939 times

Advertisements

I don't know. I feel like ranting. Anyone got a bad tourist story? (IE, someone stopping dead in front of you to look at a landmark)

Or just about any other petpeeves about jerks in this city. (IE, someone stopping dead in front of you while on the cellphone and walking down the subway entrance. Just so they can get their last bit of reception

Old 07-25-2007, 05:27 PM

314 posts, read 492,953 times
^ok; i'll bite. things i hate about tourists: (1) stopping dead in the middle of the sidewalk to look up. this behavior is particularly egregious in times square and the financial district. yes; there are lights and buildings...WOW! (2) obnoxious conduct on the train. most people sit (when they can) or stand there, read the paper, listen to music, or do some other form of solitary activity. when friends get on together, they converse in a normal voice. in contrast, tourists are just soooooo exited to get on a subway car that they forget all public behavior norms...trying to balance themselves while standing and the train is moving, inevitably resulting in them bumping into someone; yelling to each other; gang-fu*cking the door instead of moving towards the center; etc. (3) their wack clothes. i know this sounds snobby/sh*tty. i don't expect everyone in the U.S. or the world to follow nyc fashion trends, but some stuff is just ridiculous. is it acceptable anywhere to wear a fan*y pack? do all the boys in oshkosh really sport 1/4-1/2 thigh daisy duke shorts? white tube socks pulled up the calf with sneakers, or worse...sandals? (4) trying to order things in restaurants that they 'always get at home.' you're not at home; you're in nyc. sorry that the particular italian joint you chose doesn't have the olive garden neverending salad and breadstick deal. (5) thinking that everything nyc is confined to midtown manhattan and the financial district. it's a big city, rubes. there's more to nyc than trying to get your monkey face on the today show, going up to the top of the empire state building, and seeing ground zero. (6) when they get annoyed at you for acting like any ny'er acts. for example, i have no problem giving people train directions. i know the train like the back of my hand. but, when we're at times square and you ask me how to get to union square, f*cking listen to what i tell you and follow directions. i'm not gonna take you there or draw you map, and i'm probably not going to repeat myself without letting you know that i'm annoyed that you didn't listen the first time. another example, don't get pissy when i brush past you because you're strolling along the sidewalk during rush hour. i gotta get to work, just like all the other 8 million people here. you're the outsider; if you wanna take in the sights, move out of our way. (7) acting like an insider. this can come in the form of faking an accent (yes; i've heard it done), overacting how you think ny people act (read: being straight up rude, not just direct), etc. insiders know you're not from here. we can smell it on you. don't try to front like you belong. just do your tourist thing in the most normal way possible, have fun, and go home.

i have others, but honestly...i'm just tired of typing

Old 07-25-2007, 05:39 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
For the record, if all tourists stopped coming to NYC, your city's economy would take a NOSEDIVE! Just look at what happened to Broadway just after 9/11 and how detrimentally-affected the performing arts industry in NYC was as the city tried to encourage tourists to come back. I happen to be one of these so-called irritating tourists who is impressed by big buildings, mass transit, and shiny objects because I come from a bumpkin town where people wet their pants out of excitement when they see me running with an iPod and an iPhone. I'm a metrosexual and a city boy at heart, so each and every visit to Manhattan is like taking a step into paradise before coming back to local high-class culture of the "Noxen Rattlesnake Roundup" or the "Benton Rodeo."

I don't just stop dead in my tracks and cause a chain reaction of people to bump into each other behind me, and I'm sorry that so many people do (the only time I honestly did that was when I saw the Naked Cowboy for the first time). My ex-boyfriend hails from Brooklyn, and I'm hoping to take us there sometime soon for a visit on his old "turf." There's so much to love about your city---why not "play tourist" for a change and stop to smell the roses (or the exhaust fumes?) If your cost-of-living wasn't so ridiculously out-of-line, then I probably wouldn't be forced to make a four-hour round-trip commute to Manhattan from NEPA in the future after graduate school.

P.S. I'm not a racist, but the Chinese tourists are the WORST. I can still remember being nearly shoved to the ground by a raging herd of them on the Ellis Island ferry when the Statue of Liberty came into view. Also, what's with these guys with briefcases offering everyone knock-off Rolexes? We might be from rural Pennsylvania, but that doesn't mean we're uneducated to the point where we can't tell a fake Rolex from a real one (the fake ones have a "ticking" seconds hand while the real ones have a smoothly-gliding seconds hand).

Old 07-25-2007, 05:39 PM

AMEN!!!!

Yeah, I know about the subway thing. Or if you're walking in Times Sq (or Midtown for that matter) you walk pass someone who just stand there and they wanna get pissed. Or when crossing a street, some tourist walk RIGHT in front of you coming towards you. (I'm over 6 feet and 250 pounds. Wanna play chicken?) OR the tourist who think that Manhattan is just NYC. TOURIST WHO WALK IN MASSIVE GROUPS AND WALK SLOW FOR THAT MATTER! ***** packs!? EW! Tourist who act like their from NYC (fake accents, or trying to act "mean") Hell, if I bump into you, I'll say sorry. Tourist will turn their nose. Ahh... I can go on-and-on!

Old 07-25-2007, 05:43 PM

319 posts, read 494,312 times
I hate tourists for the fact that they're tourists. But at least they bring the city money.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneBKLYN View Post
I hate tourists for the fact that they're tourists. But at least they bring the city money.
true.

Old 07-25-2007, 06:40 PM

186 posts, read 1,119,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
true.
i think all you guys are talking about tourists from other parts of the US but what about tourists from around the world (except the ****ING CHINESE) who dont know better....and how do you guys feel about people who tend to act like that sometimes who have JUST MOVED to ny?

Old 07-25-2007, 06:56 PM

564 posts, read 1,727,429 times
I like to go out and throw eggs at British tourists. Nothing personal, though.

Old 07-25-2007, 07:02 PM

186 posts, read 1,119,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak View Post
I like to go out and throw eggs at British tourists. Nothing personal, though.
yeah **** the british but i mean like other tourists non english speakers and of that sort

Old 07-25-2007, 07:03 PM

314 posts, read 492,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saadrajabali View Post
yeah **** the british but i mean like other tourists non english speakers and of that sort
speaking of a 'non english speaker'...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City