Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 07:47 PM

314 posts, read 493,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadrajabali View Post
ok theyre foreign tourists for a reason, let them speak their own language, DO YOU HAVE AN IDEA HOW MANY DIFFERENT LANGUAGES ARE SPOKE IN NYC??? besides more than half of Queens IS FOREIGN BORN, you dont like it get the hell out of the city and oh yeah you guys dont own the freakin sidewalks so let them talk however loud they want because YOU HAVE THAT RIGHT TOO so stop all the bull**** whining they dont have to speak ENGLISH just so you can understand what theyre saying...
i'm well aware of queens' ethincity. as far as getting out of my own neighborhood goes...what's that about?

Old 07-26-2007, 08:08 PM

277 posts, read 774,341 times
I can't stand Eurotrash

Old 07-27-2007, 08:52 PM

16 posts, read 97,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
First, what's wrong with them speaking in their own language? That's what they speak. Second, most Americans aren't educated enough to even TRY to speak another language, so you're living in a glass house. And most foreigners whose countries Americans visit consider Americans EXTREMELY rude and VERY loud.
I don't think you get the point I was making. I just think it's rude to speak your language very loudly in public and think it's ok just becuase the people around them don't understand what they are saying. I could care less what they speak. Speak what you wish, but don't feel ok to talk loud just becuase it's your language.

Old 07-28-2007, 08:04 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,924,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkx2400NY View Post
I don't think you get the point I was making. I just think it's rude to speak your language very loudly in public and think it's ok just becuase the people around them don't understand what they are saying. I could care less what they speak. Speak what you wish, but don't feel ok to talk loud just becuase it's your language.
Some people are just loud and if they are loud I guess they are just loud!

I used to work at the rock and everyday when I sat outside to eat lunch I felt like a tour guide - can't tell you how many people asked me "uh wheres the Today show" and that was easy because it was 35 ft away.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 2,841 times
Most of the arguments here are just stereotypes summed up, however, I doubt that all the million tourists that visit NYC every year behave like others have mentioned before. I've been a tourist several times in your great city and would say that I fit in none of the your "tourist-categories", and I know that dozens others either. As about all stereotypes there might be true points about them, especially when it comes to Japanese tourists I guess, but that's the same with the stereotypes Europeans have about American people which are just not true in many ways. The fact that for most tourists NYC is just the part of Manhattan from the Battery to Central Park is because most tourists just stay a few days in NYC and all the major tourist attractions are located there. I've seen many parts of the other boroughs and think they're as worth visitting as Manhattan and really respect the way things in NYC are going. But I don't think "The New Yorker" exists as NYC always lived and gained strenght out of it's diversity. It's also the city of immigrants and people who live there in the second or third generation who are sometimes more "unamerican" than many tourists are. Of all big cities I've seen so far around the world, NYC is one the most tourist friendly. As one of the top travel destinations of this planet, tourism in NYC also is a major economic factor. Look forward to coming back this year...

Old 12-13-2007, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 5,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
^ok; i'll bite. things i hate about tourists: (1) stopping dead in the middle of the sidewalk to look up. this behavior is particularly egregious in times square and the financial district. yes; there are lights and buildings...WOW! (2) obnoxious conduct on the train. most people sit (when they can) or stand there, read the paper, listen to music, or do some other form of solitary activity. when friends get on together, they converse in a normal voice. in contrast, tourists are just soooooo exited to get on a subway car that they forget all public behavior norms...trying to balance themselves while standing and the train is moving, inevitably resulting in them bumping into someone; yelling to each other; gang-fu*cking the door instead of moving towards the center; etc. (3) their wack clothes. i know this sounds snobby/sh*tty. i don't expect everyone in the U.S. or the world to follow nyc fashion trends, but some stuff is just ridiculous. is it acceptable anywhere to wear a fan*y pack? do all the boys in oshkosh really sport 1/4-1/2 thigh daisy duke shorts? white tube socks pulled up the calf with sneakers, or worse...sandals? (4) trying to order things in restaurants that they 'always get at home.' you're not at home; you're in nyc. sorry that the particular italian joint you chose doesn't have the olive garden neverending salad and breadstick deal. (5) thinking that everything nyc is confined to midtown manhattan and the financial district. it's a big city, rubes. there's more to nyc than trying to get your monkey face on the today show, going up to the top of the empire state building, and seeing ground zero. (6) when they get annoyed at you for acting like any ny'er acts. for example, i have no problem giving people train directions. i know the train like the back of my hand. but, when we're at times square and you ask me how to get to union square, f*cking listen to what i tell you and follow directions. i'm not gonna take you there or draw you map, and i'm probably not going to repeat myself without letting you know that i'm annoyed that you didn't listen the first time. another example, don't get pissy when i brush past you because you're strolling along the sidewalk during rush hour. i gotta get to work, just like all the other 8 million people here. you're the outsider; if you wanna take in the sights, move out of our way. (7) acting like an insider. this can come in the form of faking an accent (yes; i've heard it done), overacting how you think ny people act (read: being straight up rude, not just direct), etc. insiders know you're not from here. we can smell it on you. don't try to front like you belong. just do your tourist thing in the most normal way possible, have fun, and go home.

i have others, but honestly...i'm just tired of typing
i am from texas and i have always wanted to visit ny, i lived in austin, which is no way comparable to nyc, but i love the crowds and traffic and chaos of it all which is why we booked a vacation to nyc in february. however, after reading all of these posts especially this one i am seriously rethinking it. i can guarantee you i don't fit into any of these i hate tourists rants, i only looke dta this site becaus ei would liek to become familiar with the area to avaoid being one of those annoying tourists. but i wonder, have you never been anywhere outside of nyc? have you seriously never been a tourist anywhere? your economy benefits enormously by tourism and i can't imagine that a whole city could be so ignorant and errogant. your city is made up of immigrants! that's what's so wonderful about it! people speek different languages and who cares if they want to speak to each other in their own language?? you guys really need to get off your soap boxes!!! we will be changing our itinerary so that it doesn not include a city full of ignorant a**es!!!

Old 12-13-2007, 01:32 PM

72 posts, read 259,007 times
^This thread was for people to vent about what New Yorkers don't like about tourists in New York, so you should've expected them to get on their soapboxes and sound annoyed.

I wonder if my family was guilty of some of you guys' grievances when we came back in '04. I remember I was excited to ride the subway, but that's because I'm very interested in transportation engineering and relived childhood memories of the sounds and smells, although the interior of the cars are much cleaner now. While we didn't wear fannypacks, but I'm sure we were slow walkers by New York standards.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:51 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,626,453 times
Nah, I love tourists. I just wish they know not to stop in the middle of the sidewalk, and especially when they are a big group. They should be kind enough and move to the curbed of the sidewalk somewhat. But other then that, I like tourists and like to see how they enjoy the big city and I also like to help them whenever I can.

So SROSEWELL, don't take such comments serious and come and enjoy the city. Oh and I so want to visit Austin, TX. I hear so many nice things about it. Best city in Texas.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
Nah, I love tourists. I just wish they know not to stop in the middle of the sidewalk, and especially when they are a big group. They should be kind enough and move to the curbed of the sidewalk somewhat. But other then that, I like tourists and like to see how they enjoy the big city and I also like to help them whenever I can.

So SROSEWELL, don't take such comments serious and come and enjoy the city. Oh and I so want to visit Austin, TX. I hear so many nice things about it. Best city in Texas.
LOL I JUST HATE RUDE HATEFUL PEOPLE!! MEANESS IS SOOO UNECESSARY! YOU SHOULD COME TO AUSTIN! IT IS FOR SURE THE BEST CITY IN TEXAS AND I PROMISE YOU CAN WALK AS SLOW AS YOU WANT, CROWD AS MANY SIDEWALKS AS YOU WANT , TALK IN ANY LANGUAGE AS LOUD AS YOU WANT, AND PRETTY MUCH DO WHATEVER YOU WANT WHEREVER YOU WANT WITHOUT OFFENDING ANYONE! HELL IF YOU GET TOO DRUNK DOWNTOWN YOU CAN JUST SLEEP ON THE SIDEWALK, WE WILL JUST STEP OVER YOU. MAKE SURE YOU GO TO 6TH AND VISIT LESLIE!! HE'LL BE IN THE THONG AND WIZARD CAPE!

Old 12-13-2007, 03:13 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,722,607 times
Default You may laugh at this...

I live in Riverdale, the Bronx, and was on Broadway and West 251 st street here in the Bronx across the street from Van Cortlandt Park. Broadway is US 9 which runs from upstate down into Manhattan as Broadway

A carload of people pulls into the gas station lot and the driver pulls up to me and tells me that they are on their way to the city from upstate Columbia County but they're lost. They pulled off the H Hudson Pkwy at the Broadway exit because they're going to a Broadway show and when they saw the sign for Broadway, they took the exit, the driver told me

the driver tells me they're looking for the Majestic Theater which is "off Broadway" the driver tells me, and he asks me if i know where the Majestic theater is

the Majestic Theater is off Times Square in Manhattan on W 44th street between Broadway and 8th Avenue

They were up on Broadway in the Bronx at W 251 street, about 10-11 miles away from the theater

I told them, "um, that's about 10-11 miles from here" I tell them and i explain to them that they're in the Bronx's Broadway, not Manhattan.

I explain to them they can simply drive down Broadway for 10 miles until they hit 44th street and look for the theater, or get on the H Hudson and exit at 44th street and 12th Avenue and look for the theater that way

I just thought this was hilarious
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City