Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 04:15 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,691,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
For the record, if all tourists stopped coming to NYC, your city's economy would take a NOSEDIVE! Just look at what happened to Broadway just after 9/11 and how detrimentally-affected the performing arts industry in NYC was as the city tried to encourage tourists to come back. I happen to be one of these so-called irritating tourists who is impressed by big buildings, mass transit, and shiny objects because I come from a bumpkin town where people wet their pants out of excitement when they see me running with an iPod and an iPhone. I'm a metrosexual and a city boy at heart, so each and every visit to Manhattan is like taking a step into paradise before coming back to local high-class culture of the "Noxen Rattlesnake Roundup" or the "Benton Rodeo."

I don't just stop dead in my tracks and cause a chain reaction of people to bump into each other behind me, and I'm sorry that so many people do (the only time I honestly did that was when I saw the Naked Cowboy for the first time). My ex-boyfriend hails from Brooklyn, and I'm hoping to take us there sometime soon for a visit on his old "turf." There's so much to love about your city---why not "play tourist" for a change and stop to smell the roses (or the exhaust fumes?) If your cost-of-living wasn't so ridiculously out-of-line, then I probably wouldn't be forced to make a four-hour round-trip commute to Manhattan from NEPA in the future after graduate school.

P.S. I'm not a racist, but the Chinese tourists are the WORST. I can still remember being nearly shoved to the ground by a raging herd of them on the Ellis Island ferry when the Statue of Liberty came into view. Also, what's with these guys with briefcases offering everyone knock-off Rolexes? We might be from rural Pennsylvania, but that doesn't mean we're uneducated to the point where we can't tell a fake Rolex from a real one (the fake ones have a "ticking" seconds hand while the real ones have a smoothly-gliding seconds hand).
Yes, I was almost crushed by a herd.....at about that same spot you speak of...........LOL. You just brought that to mind. LOL
I won't pretend I am anyone other then who I am, I don't want to be a New Yorker.
But.........yes, I do look up at the buildings......I always did. So do my children. The sight of buildings high to the sky is awesome.

Old 12-13-2007, 04:20 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,626,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
I live in Riverdale, the Bronx, and was on Broadway and West 251 st street here in the Bronx across the street from Van Cortlandt Park. Broadway is US 9 which runs from upstate down into Manhattan as Broadway

A carload of people pulls into the gas station lot and the driver pulls up to me and tells me that they are on their way to the city from upstate Columbia County but they're lost. They pulled off the H Hudson Pkwy at the Broadway exit because they're going to a Broadway show and when they saw the sign for Broadway, they took the exit, the driver told me

the driver tells me they're looking for the Majestic Theater which is "off Broadway" the driver tells me, and he asks me if i know where the Majestic theater is

the Majestic Theater is off Times Square in Manhattan on W 44th street between Broadway and 8th Avenue

They were up on Broadway in the Bronx at W 251 street, about 10-11 miles away from the theater

I told them, "um, that's about 10-11 miles from here" I tell them and i explain to them that they're in the Bronx's Broadway, not Manhattan.

I explain to them they can simply drive down Broadway for 10 miles until they hit 44th street and look for the theater, or get on the H Hudson and exit at 44th street and 12th Avenue and look for the theater that way

I just thought this was hilarious
LOL I am sure that happens a lot. Great story.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:32 PM

7 posts, read 47,105 times
I hate tourists most for the fact that they think where they come from is better a lot of times. I was on the A train in Richmond Hill, Queens on the trip to Manhattan. On the train somewhere near the East River, this British guy walks up to me and asks me if I live in NYC. I tell him yes. He starts with a rambling story about how London is better. Why is he here if he likes London better anyway?

Old 12-13-2007, 11:31 PM

1,528 posts, read 6,294,888 times
wow... I would sure like to visit New York one day...not anymore... you guys had such a nice reputation. Wow... some of you guys... I would be flattered if anyone came to Dallas like people come to NY.
throwing eggs at people... wow nice job representing all 300 million of us...
rest assure, you won't get my money...
Some of us here are Chinese *ahem*, and those are some big word with a city with lots of Chinese.
I'll take my money else where, don't worry one more pesky tourist of your backs...

Old 12-13-2007, 11:51 PM

173 posts, read 460,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SROSEWELL View Post
LOL I JUST HATE RUDE HATEFUL PEOPLE!! MEANESS IS SOOO UNECESSARY! YOU SHOULD COME TO AUSTIN! IT IS FOR SURE THE BEST CITY IN TEXAS AND I PROMISE YOU CAN WALK AS SLOW AS YOU WANT, CROWD AS MANY SIDEWALKS AS YOU WANT , TALK IN ANY LANGUAGE AS LOUD AS YOU WANT, AND PRETTY MUCH DO WHATEVER YOU WANT WHEREVER YOU WANT WITHOUT OFFENDING ANYONE! HELL IF YOU GET TOO DRUNK DOWNTOWN YOU CAN JUST SLEEP ON THE SIDEWALK, WE WILL JUST STEP OVER YOU. MAKE SURE YOU GO TO 6TH AND VISIT LESLIE!! HE'LL BE IN THE THONG AND WIZARD CAPE!

Hey I got an iron from Leslie, seems this brandnew perfectly good condition iron had offended him somehow and he left it laying on the bench at the bus stop, I was walking past with my kids and spotted it and picked it up and took it home, it worked great, I still have it!

Yeah, but walking slow is the way we do it down here and we manage to get everywhere on time!!!

Old 12-13-2007, 11:55 PM

173 posts, read 460,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
It drives me nuts when they clog the sidewalks, looking up. And walking S O S L O W L Y. I walk quickly - I'm going somewhere, and they dawdle and walk five, six and seven abreast.

On the other hand, with respect to New Yorkers, I don't think that _I_ should be the one to watch out that someone not paying attention to where he/she is walking doesn't bump into me or an inanimate object because the cell phone is the main focus of his/her attention. Talking on a cell phone doesn't give you the right to walk wherever you want and hope people don't bump into you.

I always try to help tourists if they look lost. And they're usually grateful. But walking slowly, covering the entire width of the sidewalk is definitely a no-no. And, because YOU want to wait for the light to change, even with no traffic coming, don't stop me from crossing.
Well when I get there, I am gonna walk around as slow as I possibly can, looking up at all the big pretty tall buildings and all around at all the people (never saw so many people in one space) and try to stop as many passersby as I can, and ask for directions to get everywhere, with my southern drawl aka foreign language...cause I talk real slow, even slower than I walk.
(But I am softspoken, so then I'll have to repeat myself so's ya'll can hear me)
I'm tryna get some where too, by the way, I just can't figure out which way to go!
Plus I'm gonna be singing showtunes. while I stand in the middle of the sidewalk.
And I always cross at the crosswalk with the light, after I look all four ways cause down here in Austin Texas where the whole city is a freeway full of unlicensed drivers if I don't, I'll be roadkill.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:47 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,199,429 times
Once I was in Florence and President Clinton and other leaders were coming out of the Plaza Espagne..there was a huge group of Japanese tourists moving in. One actually tried to stand on top of my shoes in order to see the president!

Old 12-14-2007, 12:54 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,722,607 times
tourists, among other changes, make the Times Square area feel safer. In 1979 when I was a teen I was so repulsed by the atmosphere on 8th Avenue-unsavory characters, junkies, tranny hustlers, that I ran off the avenue, I was afraid i was going to get robbed

Today, that same location has a Starbucks and the entire street has been torn down and rebuilt and it's loaded with tourists. Can't believe it's the same place

Old 12-14-2007, 02:03 PM

34,149 posts, read 47,390,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
tourists, among other changes, make the Times Square area feel safer. In 1979 when I was a teen I was so repulsed by the atmosphere on 8th Avenue-unsavory characters, junkies, tranny hustlers, that I ran off the avenue, I was afraid i was going to get robbed

Today, that same location has a Starbucks and the entire street has been torn down and rebuilt and it's loaded with tourists. Can't believe it's the same place
lmao @ tranny hustlers

Old 12-14-2007, 03:20 PM

11 posts, read 60,243 times
Trust me guys, the most ridiculous looking/sounding/annoying tourists are the hamburger eating, tracksuit wearing American tourists ( the 5 % with a passport who travel) that come to London. Now throw those egg shells!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City