Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 07:50 AM

648 posts, read 3,093,958 times

Advertisements

haven't any of you complainers ever left your city to visit and enjoy another place!!! i'm sure if you have, you've exhibited tourist behavior yourself!! i can proudly say that i walked around manhattan with my head up and my camera hanging around my neck to take in all the awesomeness that is nyc, otherwise why would i have come, to walk quickly and miss all the sites?? i'm sorry, but if you're lucky enough to live in nyc, you'll just have to put up with everyone else who doesn't!! and i have to say, i didn' encounter any of you complainers, i only encountered friendly people in nyc.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:25 AM

8 posts, read 22,682 times
Interesting and amusing to read all this. I am one of those who always stop and walk slowly when I am visiting a new place for the first time. But I try not to be in the way of others! When everything is new it is natural to be more openminded and slow than one normally would be. Without disturbing the everyday life of course. What a shame that so many break social rules on the trains and so on, as it looks like from what you're writing.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:08 AM

150 posts, read 726,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artyst View Post
haven't any of you complainers ever left your city to visit and enjoy another place!!! i'm sure if you have, you've exhibited tourist behavior yourself!! i can proudly say that i walked around manhattan with my head up and my camera hanging around my neck to take in all the awesomeness that is nyc, otherwise why would i have come, to walk quickly and miss all the sites?? i'm sorry, but if you're lucky enough to live in nyc, you'll just have to put up with everyone else who doesn't!! and i have to say, i didn' encounter any of you complainers, i only encountered friendly people in nyc.
As a native New Yorker I appreciate your comments and yes, that's just the way to do NYC when visiting, why the heck should you rush like the rest of us nuts? Frankly getting to work and rushing around the city as many New Yorkers do...they all kind of blend in to everything else. I really can't honeslty say that they stick out to me, unless your trying to walk along Madison Avenue by the Empire State building on 34th street. A true Zoo these days but I do get a kick out of all the heads looking up and mouths open

Old 12-16-2007, 04:20 PM

72 posts, read 259,007 times
There's nothing wrong with acting like a tourist, except when you lose common sense. If you're going to stare at something or take pictures, get out of the way first. I usually made sure I was out of people's way before taking pictures or gawking. One goofy thing is how clueless some people are when taking a train. Most train cards have arrows pointing the way to insert it into a slot, but I've seen people in Taipei and New York still get confused and spend half a minute at the turnstiles. At least I was never in a rush, so I thought these people were funny.

Old 12-16-2007, 05:36 PM

173 posts, read 460,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsquire View Post
There's nothing wrong with acting like a tourist, except when you lose common sense. If you're going to stare at something or take pictures, get out of the way first. I usually made sure I was out of people's way before taking pictures or gawking. One goofy thing is how clueless some people are when taking a train. Most train cards have arrows pointing the way to insert it into a slot, but I've seen people in Taipei and New York still get confused and spend half a minute at the turnstiles. At least I was never in a rush, so I thought these people were funny.
Thirty whole seconds!!! Gee willickers...I still get confused about which way to swipe the bus pass down here in Austin (I don't ride much) And which way to swipe my debit card at the grocery store (I don't use it much)

How about let's make a rule right here right now...I know we'll call it the (no hitting, shoving, pushing, yelling at or throwing onto the tracks the confused tiny (beautiful) lady from Texas rule!)

Teehee

Old 12-16-2007, 10:55 PM

957 posts, read 3,353,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artyst View Post
My thoughts exactly! It's one thing to be annoyed by the vast crowd of people who may be in the way, but it's another thing to call them idiots. Just b/c someone is new to the area and unaccustomed to the way NYers do things, it doesn't mean they're downright stupid people. Like the above poster said, visit another city, and I'm sure you too would not know the way to do things either and that would not make you an idiot-just uneducated.

Old 12-17-2007, 05:11 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,237,337 times
Thread is closed..
This thread was originally started back in July.. responding to post that are rude and insulting is against the spirit of this forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City