Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 05:32 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,966,521 times

Advertisements

It drives me nuts when they clog the sidewalks, looking up. And walking S O S L O W L Y. I walk quickly - I'm going somewhere, and they dawdle and walk five, six and seven abreast.

On the other hand, with respect to New Yorkers, I don't think that _I_ should be the one to watch out that someone not paying attention to where he/she is walking doesn't bump into me or an inanimate object because the cell phone is the main focus of his/her attention. Talking on a cell phone doesn't give you the right to walk wherever you want and hope people don't bump into you.

I always try to help tourists if they look lost. And they're usually grateful. But walking slowly, covering the entire width of the sidewalk is definitely a no-no. And, because YOU want to wait for the light to change, even with no traffic coming, don't stop me from crossing.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:06 AM

16 posts, read 97,153 times
I have family on the upper west side so I don't need to be around too many tourist. I could care less about them, just don't get in my way and don't start talking your native language really loudly. One it's rude and two just becuase I can't understand what your saying does not mean you are not loud.

Old 07-26-2007, 07:21 AM

73 posts, read 322,571 times
Not all tourists stop and look at landmarks & sh*t when they come to NY so take a damn break

Old 07-26-2007, 09:03 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,639,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss NY View Post
Not all tourists stop and look at landmarks & sh*t when they come to NY so take a damn break

but about 90% do. Yeah, the ESB looks nice at night. Keep walking.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:29 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,966,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkx2400NY View Post
I have family on the upper west side so I don't need to be around too many tourist. I could care less about them, just don't get in my way and don't start talking your native language really loudly. One it's rude and two just becuase I can't understand what your saying does not mean you are not loud.
First, what's wrong with them speaking in their own language? That's what they speak. Second, most Americans aren't educated enough to even TRY to speak another language, so you're living in a glass house. And most foreigners whose countries Americans visit consider Americans EXTREMELY rude and VERY loud.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:46 PM

314 posts, read 493,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaprinceza View Post
ok seriously.... all u New Yorkers are so proud of living here and being from here but then when someone outside of NY comes to appreciate and admire what you all brag about you say all this stupid sh*t!!! I am originally from Detroit and I just moved to NY and I can't say this is my home but damn what they say about you obnoxious people being rude and stuck up as hell is sooo true. Either get over yourselves and your city or keep your mouths shut the next time a tourist stops in the middle of the sidewalk to snap pics. How annoying!!!
you don't like it, go back to detroit. also, we're getting way off the topic here. the OP asked specifically about things that tourists do that annoy us, not 'things that people do that **** us off.' if you don't wanna write about tourists, then ignore the post.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:54 PM

314 posts, read 493,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
First, what's wrong with them speaking in their own language? That's what they speak. Second, most Americans aren't educated enough to even TRY to speak another language, so you're living in a glass house. And most foreigners whose countries Americans visit consider Americans EXTREMELY rude and VERY loud.
i agree, to an extent. there is nothing wrong with a tourist being more comfortable speaking his/her own language, especially to his/her family. however, i have always felt that visitors should make an effort to speak the host country's language. you're right when you write that americans are horrible about this. however, two wrongs not making a right, and all....

Old 07-26-2007, 04:11 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,639,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
you know what gets me...when tourists (and sometimes hs kids do this) take up the whole sidewalk; like they have 5-6 people standing beside one another and take up the whole sidewalk so everyone is trying to walk around them since they're walking ridiculously slow.

I can always spot a tourist, it's funny lol

Kinda makes you wish this guy was still walking around Manhattan:

Moderator cut: image copyright-Jason

Last edited by bellafinzi; 07-26-2007 at 06:19 PM..

Old 07-26-2007, 05:46 PM

186 posts, read 1,119,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by straightshooter View Post
i agree, to an extent. there is nothing wrong with a tourist being more comfortable speaking his/her own language, especially to his/her family. however, i have always felt that visitors should make an effort to speak the host country's language. you're right when you write that americans are horrible about this. however, two wrongs not making a right, and all....
ok theyre foreign tourists for a reason, let them speak their own language, DO YOU HAVE AN IDEA HOW MANY DIFFERENT LANGUAGES ARE SPOKE IN NYC??? besides more than half of Queens IS FOREIGN BORN, you dont like it get the hell out of the city and oh yeah you guys dont own the freakin sidewalks so let them talk however loud they want because YOU HAVE THAT RIGHT TOO so stop all the bull**** whining they dont have to speak ENGLISH just so you can understand what theyre saying...

Old 07-26-2007, 05:57 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,378,889 times
Ummm.... no FOB, thats not how it'll work at all. You'll learn English, and we won't learn Hindi/Bengali/Mandarin/Russian/Spanish at all. Thats just how life is.

If you or your random FOB relatives don't want to learn English then feel free to book a ticket for the next available flight to your home country. Simple as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saadrajabali View Post
ok theyre foreign tourists for a reason, let them speak their own language, DO YOU HAVE AN IDEA HOW MANY DIFFERENT LANGUAGES ARE SPOKE IN NYC??? besides more than half of Queens IS FOREIGN BORN, you dont like it get the hell out of the city and oh yeah you guys dont own the freakin sidewalks so let them talk however loud they want because YOU HAVE THAT RIGHT TOO so stop all the bull**** whining they dont have to speak ENGLISH just so you can understand what theyre saying...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City