Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 09:27 PM

26,527 posts, read 52,017,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I think y'all are splitting hairs. Technically, salsa is the Spanish word for sauce, so they are interchangeable in NM where English and Spanish are sprinkled together liberally.
Correct.

Also, English and Spanish are both official languages of New Mexico.

Rich

Old 05-14-2009, 09:48 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,503,748 times
(Carpetbagger greenhorn)
Ey dere ... can't stand all dis cowboy cwap ...

What all dees soud westen yokels need iz a good dose of brownstones, vewy steep wooves, an' colonials. Lots o' colonials. Get dem awdinances in dere ... architectural codes sayin' ... only pwapah civlized buildins' ... none o' dees wed tile wooves, none of dees spwaling wanch omes, none of dees pow wow Sittin Bull mud huts wid dem wieayad guttah thingies sticking out da top o' da walls.

/(Carpetbagger greenhorn)

Old 05-14-2009, 09:53 PM

38 posts, read 128,529 times
Thats the funniest post so far.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:54 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,503,748 times
As sarcastic and OTT as my previous post may seem, in other parts of the SWern US this is happening. A town I lived in decided they wanted to look like New England. It's so out of place and clashes with the landscape. But no matter, got to make the carpetbaggers feel at home.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:00 PM

38 posts, read 128,529 times
At least it was NEW England they were emulating.
Lake Havasu City, Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This planned community wanted to make Arizona into London...or at least a little bit.

EDIT:
(Sheesh now you got me off topic, I need to go to bed.)

Last edited by UsernameBen; 05-14-2009 at 10:25 PM..

Old 05-14-2009, 10:36 PM

4,262 posts, read 9,310,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
I find the distinction difficult too. I mean I know what they are but so many people use the terms recklessly.

There is a difference between 'Mexican' and 'New Mexican.' Visit Santa Fe and eat in a few restaurants, and then you'll know.

This is a very true statement. I moved here from S Texas and lived on the border of Texas and Mexico and I am still not used to what is called Mexican food here. I prefer to cook my own Mexican food. I wish they would just call it New Mexican food because it is like nothing I ever tasted in Mexico. Biggest pet peeve is spanish rice with peas.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:13 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,251,377 times
I thought we had good Mexican food here in California. That was before I tried New Mexican food.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:45 AM

65 posts, read 36,485 times
Quote:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but the "Zia" symbol and "Land of Enchantment" both appear on the NM motor vehicle license plates. Gotta get me one of them!

The "shore" is overrated. I've lived within a dozen miles or so of the Pacific Ocean all my life. I like the desert better. In fact if I move to NM maybe I'll change my username to "Desert Hound!" In fact I think I'll do that...
"Land of Enchantment" is the official State Motto of NM.
And I was just kidding about the ocean shoreline myself.
Its just whenever I tell friends & family where I've chosen to live their universal (very shocked) response is: "but its a desert, isn't it?"

To which I usually reply: "Yes it is and thank heaven's for that. It keeps the riff raff down"

PS: The North-Western (Rocky Mountain) corner of NM isn't a desert at all, but filled with pine forests, small lakes and high mountain grass lands.

Old 05-15-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
I thought we had good Mexican food here in California. That was before I tried New Mexican food.
Ever tried Native American food?
Some of the Navajo dishes taste really good (but skip the fried bread).

Old 05-15-2009, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
As sarcastic and OTT as my previous post may seem, in other parts of the SWern US this is happening. A town I lived in decided they wanted to look like New England. It's so out of place and clashes with the landscape. But no matter, got to make the carpetbaggers feel at home.
I like NE architecture in New England.
New Mexico's style is so unique and well developed that I truly don't see the need to import anything else in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico